Edgar Bateman RIP

david weiss

I just heard Edgar Bateman passed away. I never met him or played with him but heard about him often from Philadelphia guys and they always told me what a great drummer he was and that he was still on top of his game, way on top of his game. Quite the unsung musician.....

I just heard Edgar Bateman passed away. I never met him or played with him but heard about him often from Philadelphia guys and they always told me what a great drummer he was and that he was still on top of his game, way on top of his game. Quite the unsung musician.....

They were right. I interviewed him and heard him in 2001, and 2003 I think, and he was very supple indeed. He wasn't overly busy at all, but there was so much going on (polyrhythmically, timbrally) I got the impression he wouldn't have been easy to play with. I think the people I watched him playing with were having that impression too.

Thank you all for your kind words and memories of my father. If you wish to keep up with the family's arrangements going forward you can send an email to MasterDrummerEdgarBateman@gmail.com or connect with me on Facebook.

Thank You

Edgar Bateman III

my sincere condolences to you and your family. enjoyed hearing your father play in the '60s. was introduced to him by Walter Bishop Jr.

Edited by ValerieB