Ben Webster Montmartre Recordings

Dan Gould

I am looking at Vantage Records LP 510 which says it was recorded in Denmark, March 4, 1965. Ben with Kenny Drew, NHOP and Alex Riel. Guess it doesn't say specifically the Montmartre but I am assuming that's the venue. However when I looked online, for the most part the tune titles and lengths don't match the music released on the various Black Lion recordings. So are they or aren't they, and what's up with Vantage Records?

Tunes are:

Pennies From Heaven

Blues in B Flat

My Romance

In a Mellowtone

How Long Has This Been Going On

Sunday

And I don't recall this on the Black Lion releases but there is a voice - I presume its Ben's - introducing each tune, but its in a very flat, almost post-recorded manner.

Thanks for any help! Its a great record and I'm glad no one snapped it up.

Thanks Paul, that tends to confirm that these weren't issued in the Black Lion releases. Strangely enough the back of this LP has a box number in Reseda CA for the location of Vantage Records. And, this issue drops Kenny Drew as co-leader and calls it Ben Webster and his Quartet, In a Mellow Tone. So it looks like this was a later, US release of these recordings.

According to the Lord discography, this is the same session that was released in a more complete version on Storyville. It was apparently recorded not on March 4, but January 25th, 1965, about a week before Black Lion started recorded the same group at the same location. This CD also has 3 additional tracks from the session: Someone to Watch Over Me, Cotton Tail, and Danny Boy. Some, but not all, of these tracks were also issued on the Storyville Dig Ben box set.

483902.jpg

• 9 months later...

I don't have access to Lord and would be very grateful if someone could tell me the relationship between the 'Saturday','Sunday' and 'Midnight' sessions at the Montmartre on vinyl Black Lion and the Black Lion Webster CDs - three, i think, collected at one time in a box set. The Black Lion recordings of Ben in Europe are very confusing for me - so any help appreciated.

Thanks!

can have a look at it tonight, but from memory the Black Lion 3CD Box I own has only one album with Drew/NHOP/... called There is no Greater Love. The other two are a meeting with Bill COleman and something like an Ellington tribute with a British backing group...

It is confusing. According to the Lord discography, Black Lion recorded Webster during two stays at the Montmarte in 1965, one from January 30-February 6 with Kenny Drew, NHOP, and Alex Riel, and one during September 5-21. One a few tracks in September were reportedly recorded with the the quarter of Drew, NHOP, and Riel: Close Your Eyes, There is No Greater Love, and I Got it Bad. The rest of the September recordings were with a larger band of local musicians. So most of the quartet recordings apparently come from early 1965, and mostly from January 30-31.

Of course, the Lord discography has a lot of errors. So this information is not definite.

Jan 30-31 Live recordings produced the 3 lps and this material is available on 2 cds - Stormy Weather and Gone with the Wind.

Sept 5 Studio date with the same quartet. This session was initially combined with the material listed below for lp issues but was collected for a single cd called There Is No Greater Love.

Sept 13/15/21 Studio sessions with Arnved Meyer band later collected on a cd called The Jeep Is Jumping.

I have a CD on the JAZZ LIFE label titled BALLADS AND BLUES that has the same tracks that are on STORMY WEATHER CD on Black Lion with one exception. In place of the very short

track titled Teach Me Tonight, the Jazz life CD has Perdido which is 7 minutes,22 seconds.

I also have a JAZZ LIFE CD titled DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES that has 3 tracks of Ben Webster with Bill Coleman and a British rhythm section, and 8 tracks of Webster with all Danish musicians.

Jan 30-31 Live recordings produced the 3 lps and this material is available on 2 cds - Stormy Weather and Gone with the Wind.

Sept 5 Studio date with the same quartet. This session was initially combined with the material listed below for lp issues but was collected for a single cd called There Is No Greater Love.

Sept 13/15/21 Studio sessions with Arnved Meyer band later collected on a cd called The Jeep Is Jumping.

thank you - so i mixed this up a little, the Ben Webster meets Bill Coleman has a British band while The Jeep is Jumping has the scandinavian band of Arnved Meyer, third album in this box is There is no greater love

At the risk of making a nuisance of myself, there are the albums Atmosphere for Thieves and Lovers, Duke's Up in Bed with the same cover and at least one more album - the name of which escapes me at the moment - with that same cover. Are these albums drawn from the Sunday/ Saturday sessions, Bill Coleman etc - or are these further performances in Ben's discography?

Thanks!