Exile on Main Street remaster

Shawn,

Some of the bluesier, R & B early stuff is interesting, such as Now! and the Rolling Stones, which are not all reflected on Hot Rocks. An earlier version of Hot Rocks, which I like better is Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass). If you're not big on them, this is the album for you. If you want to go a littel further, if you don't want to pick up individal albums, I'd recommend "Singles Collection: The London Years," a 3 cd set. The one album of theirs that I find indispensible is Aftermath.

Post 1972-73, I don't really care for them but really love the early to late 60s stuff.

Edited by Brad

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... beat it to death doing ten more and pick the sixth one, mix it funny and put that out, who knows why.

Beatles envy...

Anyway, after going through the thread, I decided to go for the 1994 remasters of Exile and Sticky Fingers (Reckless had them for pretty cheap and I didn't have to worry that someone was selling them under the wrong category). These new remasters don't do anything for me.

Completely off subject, but in general, it just depresses me that once upon a time Mick was a pretty interesting guy, but that seems completely drained out of him now. As late as 1982, he played a significant role in getting Herzog's Fitzcarraldo off the ground, and indeed he had a role in the film but interminable delays in shooting (and the illness of Jason Robards who was to play the lead!) forced him to drop out.

I finally picked this up today. I don't have the original issue so nothing to compare it to but the sound (listened in my car) seemed typical to me of other Stones Cds I have: ok but not great. I didn't really remember most of the music except for a couple of songs so good to listen to them again.

• 4 months later...

I'll add this here as it's very much connected to "Exile on Main Street", the concert film of the tour that followed;

51Vsd4n5PSL._SS500_.jpg

I picked up a copy today and have watched a few bits of it and so far it's very good, I never thought they would ever get around to releasing this, I've only seen snippets from it over the years.

Ladies & Gentlemen The Rolling Stones

Edited by Cliff Englewood

I'll add this here as it's very much connected to "Exile on Main Street", the concert film of the tour that followed;

51Vsd4n5PSL._SS500_.jpg

I picked up a copy today and have watched a few bits of it and so far it's very good, I never thought they would ever get around to releasing this, I've only seen snippets from it over the years.

And another good job by the Stones at keeping Wyman out of the picture. :lol:

For 'merkins Best Buy is selling the blu-ray for a penny under $10. I'll be replacing my mono bootleg fairly soon.

51Vsd4n5PSL._SS500_.jpg

Hey that's not fair, they put a nice picture of him on the inside... under the DVD. :party: :party: :party:

Seriously though, I am currently grooving to the pre tour rehearsal footage. :tup :tup :tup

51Vsd4n5PSL._SS500_.jpg

Hey, thanks for the head-up! Just put my order in!

51Vsd4n5PSL._SS500_.jpg

Hey, thanks for the head-up! Just put my order in!

Your very welcome, I just watched the whole thing and it's fuckin' smokin'. Mick Taylor and Charlie Watts are in excellent form, especially Talylor, some really nice playing from him. It pisses all over the "bonus" material from the "Exile" re-master. It's well worth getting if you're a Stones fan.

51Vsd4n5PSL._SS500_.jpg

For 'merkins Best Buy is selling the blu-ray for a penny under $10. I'll be replacing my mono bootleg fairly soon.

'merkins: buy local. have your local record shop order it for you.

"Midnight Rambler" is amazing, easily tops the one on "Get your Yas Yas out".

Either they release and audio/CD version of these gigs, which they have, as Robert Greenfield in his book "A Journey Through America With The Rolling Stones" says they did, for a planned double live album, or I'm going have to learn how to convert the audio from the DVD to a CD.

A Journey Through America With The Rolling Stones

No. That's probably the Steve Miller Band, or maybe Kiss.

Not really a fair comparison, Lon, since Kiss and Steve Miller were never even nearly as highly regarded as the Stones. As a matter of fact, Miles called Steve Miller a "no-playin' mofo". Kiss is only highly regarded by 12 and 13 year olds who don't know any better. My main issue with the Stones is that they haven't put out what most would call a terrific album in almost 40 years. Yet, they just keep on plodding along with that same old 4/4 party music. The fact that this is what people seem to want does not speak highly for musical tastes and desire for creativity.

My main issue with the Stones is that they haven't put out what most would call a terrific album in almost 40 years. Yet, they just keep on plodding along with that same old 4/4 party music. The fact that this is what people seem to want does not speak highly for musical tastes and desire for creativity.

Regarding "no terrific album" in 40 years the same could be said of Sonny Rollins. But both the Stones & Rollins did so much in their prime that it's tough for me to call either overrated. But we all have different ways of using the word, so I can understand how one would say that. For the record I love side 2 of Tattoo You, and there's some late Rollins I like too lest a certain Texan is reading this thread, as he was helpful in picking latter Sonny. :) Also unless you're really old school w/ the Stones, I think there's a bit of rounding up on the 40 number (w/ respect to the album mentioned in the thread.) Although some do consider Exile loaded w/ filler that's some of my favorite stuff.

Funny, I haven't had the urge to play the bonus disc since the week I bought it. Oh well.

My main issue with the Stones is that they haven't put out what most would call a terrific album in almost 40 years. Yet, they just keep on plodding along with that same old 4/4 party music. The fact that this is what people seem to want does not speak highly for musical tastes and desire for creativity.

Regarding "no terrific album" in 40 years the same could be said of Sonny Rollins.

And you could just say the opposite: there are musicians who have put out only a "terrific album", even just a couple of terrific tracks, and nothing more. So the influence and the importance of a terrific album/tracks or a longstanding career, outstanding in case of the RS IMHO, may be compared as well.