Exile on Main Street remaster

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up the single disc version after hearing various extra tracks and alternates and not being too impressed. The remastered original album is, on my system and to my ears, a big sound quality improvement over the 90s Vigin edition of this album.

Edited by skeith

I got the remaster and quite enjoyed it. Honestly, the murky sound of the original album always kept it at arm's length for me. I might keep the old disc just to have the "original" sound, though. I'll have to compare them...

My thoughts exactly ... finally get to hear what all the fuss is about :)

The only reason why I bought the '94 Virgin CD was that my LP had a canyon going through "Soul Survivor." A hazard of living the album. :lol: I wish I had known about the Target extras disc. Although I certainly notice overly compressed remasters I rarely have the problems of "feeling fatigued." But this thing is so mid-rangey my ears were practically bleeding halfway through side 3 (if the CD had "sides.")

Of murky recordings that have had light shined on them it didn't bother me with Bitches Brew as my LP copy wasn't great to begin with. With Exile I think I'll be sticking with the murk, though I suppose for kicks I may listen to parts of the remaster now & then, even if it sounds almost like (the horror) a Mick solo album production wise. R.E.M.'s Fables Of The Reconstruction gets a Deluxe treatment this summer. If they push the vocals too forward on that one may the resmastering engineer rot in hell.

Of the extra tracks, my gawd "Follow The River" is horrendous crapola. Do you think 98% of written by Mick last winter? Ugh. "Title 5" is lots of fun but surely it predates even the earliest period where tracks are considered "Exile" material. Not that I really care as it's fun. Though I know they were trying to avoid heavily bootlegged stuff, it's a shame they didn't include the promo "Exile On Main St. Blues." But after having expectations raised too high upon the announcement and then lowering them after hearing 30 second samples, I'd say the end result was just about right for this.

Edited by Quincy

One of the Hoffman bots sums it up nicely:

Post by Emberglow :

After comparing this release of Exile on Main St with the CBS and the Virgin releases, I consider this one to be like when they take a classic old movie and Pan & Scan it for TV. They've used a limiter and boosted the volume so that the quieter parts are easier to hear without the louder parts being distorted. They've EQed it so that Mick's voice is much easier to hear, yet the same EQ doesn't work for Keith's vocals. Sure, it makes this great album much more accessible to a whole new audience and you can easily hear the lyrics but the whole thing really does sound shıte when you try to play it loud. I'm keeping my copy in the car and will continue to use the CBS and/or Virgin for home listening.

This cracks me up. If Emberglow can "easily hear the lyrics" even on this new 2010 remaster he has Superhuman hearing.

If they push the vocals too forward on that one may the resmastering engineer rot in hell.

Remastering engineers are not always to blame, they're often just doing what the producers and/or artists tell them to do.

True, especially the "resmastering" ones as (in my typo). Sounds like a title for someone who remasters for SACD, DVD-A etc. ;)

The only reason why I bought the '94 Virgin CD was that my LP had a canyon going through "Soul Survivor." A hazard of living the album. :lol: I wish I had known about the Target extras disc. Although I certainly notice overly compressed remasters I rarely have the problems of "feeling fatigued." But this thing is so mid-rangey my ears were practically bleeding halfway through side 3 (if the CD had "sides.")

Of murky recordings that have had light shined on them it didn't bother me with Bitches Brew as my LP copy wasn't great to begin with. With Exile I think I'll be sticking with the murk, though I suppose for kicks I may listen to parts of the remaster now & then, even if it sounds almost like (the horror) a Mick solo album production wise. R.E.M.'s Fables Of The Reconstruction gets a Deluxe treatment this summer. If they push the vocals too forward on that one may the resmastering engineer rot in hell.

Of the extra tracks, my gawd "Follow The River" is horrendous crapola. Do you think 98% of written by Mick last winter? Ugh. "Title 5" is lots of fun but surely it predates even the earliest period where tracks are considered "Exile" material. Not that I really care as it's fun. Though I know they were trying to avoid heavily bootlegged stuff, it's a shame they didn't include the promo "Exile On Main St. Blues." But after having expectations raised too high upon the announcement and then lowering them after hearing 30 second samples, I'd say the end result was just about right for this.

For a Frankenstien tune of old and new Pass The Wine is great and Plundered is decent enough. I love the alt versions of Loving Cup and Soul Survivor. I like the clarity on the new remaster I just hate the lack of dynamics and sound stage and how every thing is pushed to 10 on it. Its not the way I like to hear music.

The thought of someone taking away the murk and brining the vocals way up front on Reconstruction is too much to think about but I have the feeling thats just what they will do, hope I am wrong. Think I'll have to read the reviews first before picking it up.

I love the alt versions of Loving Cup and Soul Survivor. I like the clarity on the new remaster I just hate the lack of dynamics and sound stage and how every thing is pushed to 10 on it. Its not the way I like to hear music.

I just love that "Soul Survivor." I'm not sure if Keith doesn't know the lyrics yet because the lyrics aren't finished or because it's so new, or if it has pharmacological reasons. ;)

The thought of someone taking away the murk and brining the vocals way up front on Reconstruction is too much to think about but I have the feeling thats just what they will do, hope I am wrong. Think I'll have to read the reviews first before picking it up.

The extra disc has me from the start with the studio run through of songs before they went to the UK to record. I've passed on the other R.E.M. deluxe versions as I'm happy with my old murky LPs and have lots of live shows from the '80s so I didn't need the truncated live discs missing the fun covers. Sheeeeesh, they're such idiots - just pay up and let us hear "In The Year 2525" for Pete's sake! (Not that they picked a show with that...) Though I say "they have me from the start" I will wait for it to show up on yourmusic. :) And that's plenty of time to read about the likely horror of what's done to the album proper.

I have the very earliest cd, sounds on the shitty side but may in fact be closer to the original sound than this new remaster. I don't need the bonus material. I think I'll stick with what I have.

I wore out at least 3 copies of the original vinyl, starting about when it was released and have had both the original CD and 1994 Virgin remaster. In my opinion, anyone who cares even a little bit about this album should seek out the 94 Virgin- it was a huge improvement over the original CD, which does not come close to the original vinyl. Sure the original recording was kind of "rustic" but that does not mean it sounded shitty.

Bob Ludwig did a great job on the 94 Virgin- it predates the "loudness wars" and was allegedly focused on making the CD sound as close to the original vinyl as possible.

I have not heard the new remaster, but like others here the reviews I've heard suggest that I don't need to be in any rush to get it.

Just one guy's opinion, but I've never thought Exile was one of the Stone's better efforts. To me, it pales in comparison to the likes of Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers or even Steel Wheels. I'm pretty sure I have the original vinyl in pristine condition around here someplace, but I'll not be knocking down the doors anytime soon to find it. At any rate, does it really startle anyone when the "suits" go to redo this album in a manner they hope might appeal to younger fans, that their first order of business is to make it sound as much like the crap that this newly targeted demographic has been listening to all along? As Gomer Pyle used to say, "Surprise, surprise, surprise."

Well, I haven't really paid attention to Stones lps since "Some Girls." But of the Stones lps I did have and did listen to, "Exile" was my favorite, it was just sort of raw and "anti-commercial" seeming to me at the time. It's the only Stones I have had on cd, and even though it doesn't sound great I like the music. I placed an order for a used copy of the Virgin cd.

Why wasn't this album part of the ABKCO remastered series?

Because they don't own any Stones recordings after Let It Bleed, which came out in 1969. The Stones' contracts with both Allen Klein (ABKCO) and Decca Records (London in the United States) expired in 1970. Exile on Main Street was recorded between July 1971 and March 1972; it was released in 1972.

Ah. I thought the sessions started much earlier than that. Thanks.

It gets tricky as a few songs were gestating from the time of the previous contract, however the album versions are from sessions on the new contract. You know the Stones, they never throw anything out, and if it can be used later, do so.

Lon--that's what I want to do. But do you have any tips for specifically finding the 1994 edition online (amazon/half/etc.)? Thanks.

Well, I haven't really paid attention to Stones lps since "Some Girls." But of the Stones lps I did have and did listen to, "Exile" was my favorite, it was just sort of raw and "anti-commercial" seeming to me at the time. It's the only Stones I have had on cd, and even though it doesn't sound great I like the music. I placed an order for a used copy of the Virgin cd.

Lon--that's what I want to do. But do you have any tips for specifically finding the 1994 edition online (amazon/half/etc.)? Thanks.

The 1994 remaster is the Virgin reissue: Amazon - I can't guarantee that the sellers on Amazon are offering the correct version, of course; I'd ask them first before ordering anything.

I don't think you're a million miles away with your Mick solo album reference, there was a documentary shown on BBC2 on Saturday night, I think it's the one that comes with the "Super Deluxe Edition" of "Exile", called "Stones in Exile", it wasn't really very good, but I got the impression that with the whole project it was either Mick's way or the highway, y'know he doesn't really like the album anyway and I think this was his way of making it more to his likeing. "Exile On Main St. Blues" was played over the end credits.

I don't know why they didn't put that great acoustic version of "All Down The Line" on as one of the extras, or even the imfamous "Cocksucker Blues" itself, would have been kinda cool, "Follow The River" is fucking shite though.

BTW, the '94 re-master of "Sticky Fingers" is also well worth getting, it blew me away when I first heard it, more so than the '94 "Exile".

Got the Virgin (Bob Ludwig) remaster in the mail two days ago from an Amazon seller--I've only had an original vinyl copy until now--and it does sound pretty terrific. I can't compare to the new remaster, but thank all of you for redirecting my attention to this record, one of my favorites. :)

Exile is a record I've never been able to take in a single sitting, but I do like specific tracks from it.

I've never really warmed up to the Stones, I like quite a few songs but have never felt the need to really "collect" them. As far as I'm concerned, the old 2-LP vinyl collection "Hot Rocks" had the majority of what I wanted by them.

The only disc I currently own is the original CD issue of Let It Bleed.