Is this that super rare Tyrone Washington LP?

Dan Gould

Yup, that's the one. IMHO, it's certainly an 'interesting' record (some of it even 'very interesting'), but it wasn't nearly as great as I was hoping for.

Tyrone's other rare album (although it doesn't seem to be quite "super rare", just "mega rare") I think is called "Roots" (somebody help me here, and I can't seem to find anything about it on-line now --- damn BNBB being down and all).

(IMHO), I much prefer "Roots" over "Do Right". "Roots" seemed more like "Natural Essence" (which I love, can you tell??). Also, there are some vocals on "Do Right" (eek!!), and it's just a less jazz-oriented album in general (even with my very open definition of 'jazz'). Very interesting, yes, and I'm glad I got it (even though I promptly gave it to our own Jim Sangrey, who needed it more than I did), but I wouldn't pay a mint for it, knowing what I know now (and didn't know then - I think I paid about $54 for it - ouch!!).

If "Roots" came out on CD, I'd buy it for sure, even at import prices (up to $20 - who am I kidding, up to $30).

If "Do Right" came out on CD, I'd probably pick it up (for the heck of it), if I could get it for like $10.99 or so.

But Jim loves "Do Right", so obviously tastes vary... Hey Jim, how's about you post a review of "Do Right"??? Seems like a good time and place for it.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

This reminds me of the time I found a copy of Sonny Criss' rare Warm & Sonny album on Impulse. I was really excited because I really dig Criss and I like his Muse recordings from this period. So I get my record and put it on the turntable..

Oh horror!!!!

It's that Mizell crap like Donald Byrd's Places and Spaces.

Not Criss, I couldn't believe it.

Now I'm kind of weary about rare records from the '70s.

:wacko:

:o

Oh no, Jeff--looks like we've got a musical difference!

I actually like Places and Spaces. But I have to admit, I'm not sure whether I like it in a "rare groove" sense, or in a "jazz" sense, if that makes sense. I can appreciate it for what it is (although I hate the song "Dominoes"). Still, despite the synth stuff, I thought you might like some of the 70's ensemble horn work, since you're a fan of Albert King's Stax records.

I ought to listen to Places and Spaces and see exactly what I like about it.

Actually, Places and Spaces is MUCH better than Warm & Sonny. I like most of the Byrd rare groove reissues. I probably shouldn't have used that as a reference.

Warm & Sonny is just BAD. Not the good kind of bad, but the bad kind of bad.

There are good reasons why some albums don't get reissued.

:wacko:

Edited by AfricaBrass

Peter,

Speaking of Albert King: Have you heard the I Wanna Get Funky album? It's not his best stuff, but it's fun.

I do dig King's Stax period. Very good stuff!

I also like synths at times. I just don't like when a great player makes a disco record. If I want disco, I'll listen to the Bee Gees.

Have I mentioned that Criss album is AWFUL? :g

COMPLETELY dig I wanna get funky. But in that King sub-genre, it's definitely in second place (in my book) to "The Pinch," which was sadly reissued as "The Blues Don't Change." Awesome, awesome greasy horn, and hilarious to boot. "She was one baaaaad motor-scooter." Have you heard it?

And the cover! How could they replace this:

i-1.JPG

with this

c456422ca7n.jpg

when they reissued the damn thing?

:huh:

COMPLETELY dig I wanna get funky. But in that King sub-genre, it's definitely in second place (in my book) to "The Pinch," which was sadly reissued as "The Blues Don't Change." Awesome, awesome greasy horn, and hilarious to boot. "She was one baaaaad motor-scooter." Have you heard it?

And the cover! How could they replace this:

i-1.JPG

with this

c456422ca7n.jpg

when they reissued the damn thing?

:huh:

I haven't heard The Pinch yet, but I'll make sure I do.

What a GREAT cover! Damn political correctness!

I have to say that the greatest use of backup singers is on the track, Flat Tire, on I Wanna Get Funky. I laugh every time I hear it. If I could be as cool as Albert King for just one minute, I could die a happy man.

:g

I think the total I paid on eBay for the one I got (and gave to Jim) was about $53 (including shipping). I think the final bidding topped-out around $48 or $49 or so.

Previously, I had seen it go in the low $70's, once, and then twice (in the same two week period) it went with "buy it now" prices in the range of $90-$110.