Archie Shepp

EKE BBB

One of my favorite albums that Shepp ever made is Tray of Silver on Denon. I have the LP and it sounds great on the "table." It was out on CD for awhile (now OOP), but pick up the LP if you can. Count me in as a big admirer of I Know About the Life as well. I love it front to back. The mid to late '70s and early '80s are my favorite periods of him, though I like the '60s stuff too. His playing always surprises me in the directions he takes the music ("inside-outside").

Edit: For those who are into video, I'd also recommend Shepp's DVD The Geneva Concert, which features a show from 1994. There are also some great interviews tacked onto the DVD. It is worth picking up.

Edited by martini

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holy crap the attica blues live set arrived today and has blown me away. it's great!!!

does anyone know of anything with a similar sound?

Do you have "The Cry of My People."

By similar sound do you mean outward-leaning all-star big band with deep blues roots? Maybe some of Muhal Richard Abrams' albums? 8 Bold Souls? For me, the AACM guys tend to capture that mix well.

By similar sound do you mean outward-leaning all-star big band with deep blues roots?

that's exactly what I mean :D

Do you have "The Cry of My People."

Of course! Although I prefer the songs on Attica Blues... I'll give Muhal Richard Abrams a try thanks

By similar sound do you mean outward-leaning all-star big band with deep blues roots?

You might enjoy Horace Tapscott and the Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra - Live at I.U.C.C. [Nimbus West]

and the original Attica Blues is a killer indeed. Along the same lines, to my ears, is Shepp's "Things have got to change"

Edited by mjazzg

did anyone mention the duo record who need with Niel Orsted P. from years ago? Basically inside stuff, excellent, as I recall.

"Looking at Bird" was the album that made me an unabashed Shepp-o-phile. It's clser to inside than out, to be sure - rooted in Parker tunes and some related to him. Still my favorite Shepp.

The duos with Richard Davis are good, but not as good.

• 1 month later...

Remember this album?

ArchieSheppinmywindow.jpg

The photo was taken in a window that gave me a view up and down West 82nd Street when this was where I lived. My friend Ole Brask took over the place in '63, when I moved to my present apartment. He also moved in when I moved out, and took the cover photo of Archie. More recently, I took my camera to 81st Street and captured a current view of my old lookout spot (the top window:

Myoldlookoutspot.jpg

Just a little Shepp aside. :)

Nice digs!

Thanks!

Remember this album?

ArchieSheppinmywindow.jpg

The photo was taken in a window that gave me a view up and down West 82nd Street when this was where I lived. My friend Ole Brask took over the place in '63, when I moved to my present apartment. He also moved in when I moved out, and took the cover photo of Archie. More recently, I took my camera to 81st Street and captured a current view of my old lookout spot (the top window:

Myoldlookoutspot.jpg

Just a little Shepp aside. :)

Nice digs!

Thanks!

If you are referring to "Archie Shepp Live in San Francisco" my father, Fred Seligo, took the cover photo-- not your friend Ole Brask.

Delia Seligo Boehle

• 9 years later...

So, I've been listening to these three records as a trilogy as suggested by Bill Shoemaker in his Jazz in the 1970's book.  As a youngster, I didn't full appreciate the range of styles that Mr. Shepp employs on these records.  I love gospel and R and B but wanted Fire Music from Archie.  I now find these records engaging and very timely.

Archie Shepp - Things Have Got To Change (1971, Gatefold, Vinyl ... Attica%20Blues_Archie%20Shepp.jpg Archie Shepp - The Cry Of My People (2004, Digipak, CD) | Discogs

6 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

So, I've been listening to these three records as a trilogy as suggested by Bill Shoemaker in his Jazz in the 1970's book.  As a youngster, I didn't full appreciate the range of styles that Mr. Shepp employs on these records.  I love gospel and R and B but wanted Fire Music from Archie.  I now find these records engaging and very timely.

If you like those, I can wholeheartedly recommend this one:

Attica Blues Big Band Live At The Palais Des Glaces | Discogs

1 hour ago, felser said:

If you like those, I can wholeheartedly recommend this one:

Attica Blues Big Band Live At The Palais Des Glaces | Discogs

Thank you, Mr. Felser, I'm in.  While I find the combination of Calvin Massey, Joe Lee Wilson, and Mr. Shepp very powerful on the trilogy-this later edition retains Joe Lee Wilson and Charles Greenlee and adds Malachi Thompson, Marion Brown, Steve Turre, and Shorty Jarvis's son Clifford on drums.  

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Add this and you got four!

R-2473243-1524088097-2819.jpeg.jpg

R-2473243-1524088091-1542.jpeg.jpg

That's actually my favorite of the bunch, though I do appreciate the Impulse titles also.  You could make a decent argument that this one made it five, complete with another compelling Semenya McCord vocal.

ARCHIE SHEPP a sea of faces, LP GATEFOLD for sale on sofarecords.fr