Herbie Hancock Complete Columbia Box

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been checking out the late-70s stuff lately...the stuff I had no use for then, figuring in was all commercial, pop-R&B stuff...well, it is.

And as such, not expecting it to be anything else but that, a lot of it pretty damn good.

Surprise!

They forget to mention the free glue in the description :party:

Won't be buying this, I guess... no need for that much commercial Herbie - though I guess Jim's quite right: Hancock has so much talent, he seems to be able to do something worthwhile in nearly any imaginable setting.

That will be the only way to get Flood, Tempest in the Colosseum, domestically.

And I'm sure that's exactly how Sony likes it. I now have the freedom to choose - between shelling out $40 for an import of Flood, or $200+ for the pleasure of buying all Herbie's '80s crapola. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Columbia-Collection-Herbie-Hancock/dp/B003M3UJIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275002335&sr=1-1

In contrast to the Miles set I think there are a reasonable number of these albums not currently in print. Let's hope an Ellington set is next :) .

Too bad this Ellington set never appeared (this amusing piece first appeared on Bret Primack's Bird Lives site, for those of you who don't like AAJ).

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/birdlives/bl-33.htm

What are the Japan imports?

Those I can think of are:

Dedication (1974)

Flood (1975)

Herbie Hancock Trio (1977)

Tempest in the Colosseum (1977)

Direct Step (1978)

A couple of others were initially only released in Japan, but have had US release since.

Edited by Daniel A

• 5 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I just found out about this. It was supposed to come out in Nov 2010, but it seems it's been pushed to early 2011?

But...as someone who is an avid "fan" (obviously ;)) and as someone who has all of these and then some, I just have to wonder - is it really so, that the only unreleased tracks and alternate takes from a Herbie Hancock recording session are from the Blue Note years? Because it just can't be.

How come every single alternate take and unreleased track Miles Davis did in that time period has been documented and released in these gorgeous multi-disc box sets, but all we have of Hancock are single disc reissues (mostly LP's that were never hard to find anyway, I think they even reissued Dedication and Flood?) and a 4-disc Columbia/Legacy box which was nothing but an extended "Best Of" compilation?

Where are those extended jams that molded the raw "Spook Who Sat By The Door" tracks into "Actual Proof" on Thrust, the rehearsal sessions where Mike Clark taught Hancock funky licks on the Clavinet (that's coming from the man himself, as hard to believe that is...), the unreleased gems left in the vaults like Miles' "Ghetto Walk" etc., etc.?

Well, at least there's a book coming out about the Mwandishi years. There was supposed to be a book about the Headhunters sessions, but I don't think it ever came to fruition.

Edited by Kari S

There was supposed to be a book about the Headhunters sessions, but I don't think it ever came to fruition.

Are you referring to this? http://www.amazon.com/Head-Hunters-Making-Platinum-Perspectives/dp/0472114174/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291066433&sr=1-6

Edited by Mark Stryker

I would also welcome a comprehensive and detailed Hancock boxed set. Unfortunately The complete Columbia ALBUMS box will not satisfy my needs.

The Complete Herbie Hancock & The Headhunters Live/Studio RECORDINGS (1973-1975) is what I've been desperately waiting for the past 20 years.

As compared to the aforementioned Miles data available, it's hard to believe there's not even a detailed Hancock sessionography anywhere on the web (or is there?). And btw, the same concerns Weather Report too...

I'm still disappointed that Warner Bros. dropped their plans to do a comprehensive box-set of the Mwandishi years with unreleased and unedited material. 

A Headhunters set would be nice, too ... I'd certainly get a copy. But I don't want to wait until Herbie has passed ... those Miles sets all came posthumously.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I just found out about this. It was supposed to come out in Nov 2010, but it seems it's been pushed to early 2011?

FWIW, Amazon is telling me December 17th, I'll believe it when I see it. The original release date was October 5th.