Herbie Hancock Complete Columbia Box

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The advantage is that this box keeps the original albums intact - I'll get me one, as this always annoyed about the Warner double CD. And Rhino's mastering will be better, I suppose.

never really warmed up to this recordings, so this could be the way to give it another try (these infividual albums also are part of the Atlantic Yen 1000 series, but without the bonus material).......

Edited by soulpope

I'm seriously biased about Mwandishi and Crossings as these were among the albums that rocked my world back then ... desert island discs for me. I never heard a better fusion of electric and acoustic sounds, or funky grooves beyond cliché with free form jazz playing. I pre-ordered a copy from amazon.de

Edited by mikeweil

Seems like a good chance to update the Warners set and pass it along to a friend. But maybe not.

I got excited about "mono mixes", but they're from Fat Albert Rotunda, and...errrr...not excited. But give me a mono mix of Crossings, and I'd have to hear that, wrong as it would seem/be. Like, remove that third dimension ok, just give me a flattline mix, let's see what THAT does.

However, along those lines, the "single mix" of "Water Torture", that's still stereo, so is it just an edited version, or will they have an actual 45 hotass mastermix on there? If so, that's better than nothing!

Crossings is, for me, an album that never really hits me, yet knocks me out. One of those subliminal seduction things, perhaps. No matter, when I reach for it, it usually stays reached for for a few days, ongoing.

I'll hang on to my original Complete Warner set from 1994. I love this set. I am not sure the promos and edits are necessary at this point, but this new set may be worth checking out. They should have included for their first official release, some live recordings of this band. The live stuff goes into quite amazing territory the studio stuff hints at.

Edited by CJ Shearn

• 3 weeks later...

I got mine last week. The edits are interesting, they show there must have been longer takes that were edited down to the LP versions, like Teo Macero did with Miles' albums. Too bad Rhino/Warner and Herbie cannot make up their minds and issue a box like those of Miles' music.

Sound is very good indeed, very detailed and a bit better than the Warner double CD. Bob Gluck wrote a short liner essay. Lovers of this music will have his book, anyway.

Edited by mikeweil

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Found a still-sealed new copy on eBay today for $90 total (including shipping from the UK) so I pulled the trigger. I've got a couple of CDs that were reissued on Wounded Bird, plus several of the more prominent Sony Legacy suspects (Headhunters, Sextant, much of the VSOP material and a dub of Flood), but there's a fair amount here that I haven't heard before (for better or worse, it would seem, reading through this thread).  Going into it all with open ears!

44 minutes ago, erwbol said:

The box's booklet is outstanding (200 pages). You wouldn't want to be without it. Sound as well. No matter that I hate perhaps about 1/3 of the albums. Great set.

My feelings exactly.  Sound is far superior to the Wounded Bird reissues.  We probably hate the same 10 albums!  I at least sampled everything on the box, but did not even listen to about a third of it (think "Rockit" and the like, and all those horrible vocoder vocals).  But would not want to be without the remaining 20 discs.  Paid something like $110 for mine several years ago.

5 hours ago, felser said:

My feelings exactly.  Sound is far superior to the Wounded Bird reissues.  We probably hate the same 10 albums!  I at least sampled everything on the box, but did not even listen to about a third of it (think "Rockit" and the like, and all those horrible vocoder vocals).  But would not want to be without the remaining 20 discs.  Paid something like $110 for mine several years ago.

I love this set.   The worst albums IMO are Feets Don't Fail Me Now and Monster but in hindsight the Laswell trilogy isn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be back when I was a snob.  I thought the Wounded Bird discs had identical masterings but I guess not.  Their cover reproductions were quite poor.

Quite a few years ago HMV had the Herbie box in their sale for £25. I knew some of the albums were not my cup of tea but bought it anyway as it was such a great price. A couple of years later it was still unopened so I decided to sell it - as is always the way, I now regret that rather hasty decision!