Favorite Prestige "Jam" album?

Dan Gould

This came to mind as I was digging, really digging, "All Mornin' Long". I just love the slow blues title track, maybe its just the fact that I've always been a fan of the tune, but I adore Donald Byrd's statement of the theme on "They Can't take That Away From Me" and then they bring it home with a classic Dameron composition, also a big favorite, "Our Delight".

For a "jam session" this is a heckuva an album!

Any other nominations among all of those Red Garland/Coltrane jam dates?

I love the way Red kicks off Sweet Sapphire Blues on Black Pearls. I love the rest of it too, everyone's relaxed and comfortable and the tempo's just right. A great way to spend eighteen minutes.

Edited by JohnS

John,

An unrelated topic - but I'm experiencing technical difficulties!

I did get your e-mail two days ago, but before I could reply, my connection was lost. We are in middle of changing providers, so there is some down-time.

I will e-mail you as soon as I'm back up (I can't easily e-mail from work), although it could take a while. They sent us the new software on a CD, but my CD-ROM drive has also been acting up! I may have to get a new computer (and a second job to pay for it).

Bertrand.

I'm a sucker for Garland's Prestige dates, with or without Coltrane; I know I will eventually pick up all of them. Currently, my favorites are Groovy, Red Garland's Piano, Can't See for Lookin', Revisited, It's a Blue World. Crossings is the only slight disappointment. Perhaps my expectations were too high, however, with Ron Carter and Philly Joe on board. Garland is a criminally underrated talent, in my opinion.

I agree with you , David, Red's never received the recognition he should have, IMHO. It's great that almost all (or all?) of his early catalog is in print, though!

I've always been partial to the Gene Ammons jam sessions on Prestige, too, titles like:

The Happy Blues, with Candido :g

All Star Sessions, with Lou D, Sonny Stitt and Junior Mance

Jammin' In Hi Fi, with Kenny Burrell

Blue Gene, with Pepper Adams and Ray Barretto

Jammin' With Gene

Funky

Can't go wrong with any of those! :excited:

Also dig All Night Long (Burrell, Byrd, Mobley, Jerome Richardson) and All Day Long (B & B with Frank Foster and Tommy Flanagan), which completes the All _____ Long triumvirate! ;)

Out of all these, I would have to say All Night Long is tops on my list -- hard to beat the combo of Mobley and Richardson with Burrell!

Edited by mikeb

Me too David, in fact i wanted to nominate 'Soultrane' for album of the week for the simple reason of loving everything Red plays on it -- Trane is pretty good aswell mind!

Not sure if it qualifies as a jam session but it does have that "let's call a few tunes" relaxed feel to it. That is surely a testiment to how good these guys were.

The sessions that produced All Mornin' Long, Soul Junction, and Dig It! are some of my favorite Red jam albums. Also, the session that produced "Lush Life" (among other tracks) as well. And can't forget Black Pearls!!!

Man, when Red, Byrd, and Trane got together, that was some sweet sounds they produced! :excited: