Robert Johnson

7/4

Maybe the original recordings were mastered too fast?

They sound normal slowed down.

Robert Johnson revelation tells us to put the brakes on the blues

We've been listening to the immortal 'King of the Delta Blues' at the wrong speed, but now we can hear him as he intended

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/may/27/robert-johnson-blues

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OTOH, I'm inclinded to think anyone who agrees with Eric Clapton that RJ was/is "the most important blues singer that ever lived" is a total goose.

The less we pay attention to Clapton, the better of civilization will be. :lol:

Interesting ... I think this sort of thing went on more than we like to imagine. Fats Domino and/or Imperial, for instance.

OTOH, I'm inclinded to think anyone who agrees with Eric Clapton that RJ was/is "the most important blues singer that ever lived" is a total goose.

On the other hand perhaps we should just look at his statement as who influenced him the most in his blues playing.

Clapton seems to hold the love-to-hate role in the blues world that Jarrett has in the jazz.

Clapton seems to hold the love-to-hate role in the blues world that Jarrett has in the jazz.

Whatever ... my beef is with the "most important blues singer that ever lived" crappola.

The less we pay attention to Clapton, the better of civilization will be. laugh.gif

Whatever ... my beef is with the "most important blues singer that ever lived" crappola.

That happens to be his opinion and, as I stated earlier, if Johnson was a huge influence on Clapton's playing, what is the issue. To him, he's apparently the "most importan blues singer that ever lived." So what? Everyone has someone who has tremendously influenced them in their life, whether or not that person is the greatest whatever.

The less we pay attention to Clapton, the better of civilization will be. laugh.gif

That happens to be his opinion and, as I stated earlier, if Johnson was a huge influence on Clapton's playing, what is the issue. To him, he's apparently the "most importan blues singer that ever lived." So what? Everyone has someone who has tremendously influenced them in their life, whether or not that person is the greatest whatever.

Geez man, chill a bit. His opinion, fine. This is mine - that anyone who think Johnson is the "best" blah blah hasn't really listened beyond him. IMO. Besides, the phrase used isn't "most important" - the phrase used is "the best". There's a difference. Ya could argue the first - I'd still disagree. But the second? Nah. IMHO.

Edited by kenny weir

Geez man, chill a bit. His opinion, fine. This is mine - that anyone who think Johnson is the "best" blah blah hasn't really listened beyond him. IMO. Besides, the phrase used isn't "most important" - the phrase used is "the best". There's a difference. Ya could argue the first - I'd still disagree. But the second? Nah. IMHO.

I'm chillin dude dirol.gif His opinion, fine. Your opinion, fine. It's all in our humble opinions :)

I'm chillin dude dirol.gif His opinion, fine. Your opinion, fine. It's all in our humble opinions :)

I'm just quoting this cause the multiple quote thing starts to look like a 3D beveled camera lens after a while.

I'm just quoting this cause the multiple quote thing starts to look like a 3D beveled camera lens after a while.

Happy to oblige!

can't go wrong with RJ - but I'm a Son House man myself -

Me, too - but fundamentally prefer Patton.

This is the thing - the RJ phenom seems to stand alone, a sort of tunnel vision. When people like this guy says he's the "best", I wonder just who - if anyone - they're comparing him to.

Whether Robert Johnson is the greatest or most important blues singer or guitarist--he was pretty good.

Absolutely! But like Muddy, he was part of a tradition. In fact, given how he transformed that tradition, it could be argued Muddy's the far more significant artist.

Absolutely! But like Muddy, he was part of a tradition. In fact, given how he transformed that tradition, it could be argued Muddy's the far more significant artist.

Even though Jagger got his dance moves off Howlin' Wolf, I'd call Muddy more influential than most of the Blues guys.

All this still has nothing to do with the revelation that maybe Robert Johnsons recordings were all mastered too fast.

the thing about Johnson, I think, is that he's a classic transitional figure - the guy who takes the form and shows that about everything that can be done with it has been done, and in doing so shows the way to the future (whether or not anyone notices at the time). In that sense, I think Johnson is incredibly important. So maybe I agree with Clapton.