New? 4CD Anthony Braxton set Old Dogs

Only two new Braxton boxes this week. Hard times indeed. I'll look forward to hearing the final box of standards with Kevin O'Neil, though I'll be going the download route.

Edited to add - I mean *three* AB box sets this week - see the AB thread.

In answer to tranemonk's question: I make some suggestions in the AB thread about a measured approach to sampling his music which is not based on box set collection fever. I'd say you probably don't want to start with 4 CDs of duos with drums, and that the Mosaic is costly, given that some of the material is for completists only. There again, if box sets are what do it for you...

Edited by David Ayers

I'm intrigued. Not too familiar w/ Hemingway's work outside the AB Quartet, so I have just ordered Demon Chaser, Double Blues Crossing and Waltzes, Two Steps & Other Matters of the Heart.

I suggest Down to the Wire and The Marmalade King on Hat. Not recent stuff, but good examples of his work. After all, he is an old dog.

As for this box, it sounds like the format is much the same as the Clean Feed box with Joe Morris. Four duets, each about an hour long. Completely improvised. The difference is in the relationships. Morris didn't have much history, if any, of playing with Braxton whereas Hemingway did.

I'm intrigued. Not too familiar w/ Hemingway's work outside the AB Quartet, so I have just ordered Demon Chaser, Double Blues Crossing and Waltzes, Two Steps & Other Matters of the Heart.

I suggest Down to the Wire and The Marmalade King on Hat. Not recent stuff, but good examples of his work. After all, he is an old dog.

As for this box, it sounds like the format is much the same as the Clean Feed box with Joe Morris. Four duets, each about an hour long. Completely improvised. The difference is in the relationships. Morris didn't have much history, if any, of playing with Braxton whereas Hemingway did.

The Joe Morris was a pleasant surprise to me. I thought they work quite well.

I'd reccomend you to listen to all the GH quintet/quartet on Hat Hut.

The american quartet with Helias (Johnny Corner Song, Devils Paradise) also performs great music.