It's Christmas Time!

JSngry

TAMALES!!!!!

I'm a pork man, myself, but will go beef, or even "sweet". The Lovely & Talented Brenda (forevermore to be known in these parts as the much-simpler-to-type "LTB") is a vegetarian, so does the black bean thing to her fart's, er, heart's content.

Anybody got any particular favorites? Us being Anglos and all, we, at this stage our lives, have to depend on the kindness of friends and neighbors (both directly and for retail recommendations), so we don't have any recipies to share, unfortunately. But if anybody has a good/unique/etc one to share, by all means post it, please. I figure LTB's going to be retired in another 10 years or so, and she LOVES to cook. I, otoh, love to eat, so it's all good, even the cleanup, which I do once or twice a week, whether it needs it or not!

I'm with ya' on the pork ones dude, beef is usually my second choice.

I used to get a couple of dozen every year from a little place in south Phoenix, not this year, the old woman passed away during the summer and the place is now closed. :(

Now I rely solely on the mother of a friend of mine, she always comes through on Christmas eve with at least a dozen.

As she says "the key to a good tamale is not to get crazy with the masa."

Edited by catesta

For about three years now I have been tripping to some Salvadoran style tamales made by a great family that runs a little restaurant that is up the street from me (and Brandon Burke), Elsi's. They are about twice as wide as Mehicano tamales, wrapped in banana leaves, and also have some potato within ---they serve pork, poblano pepper and cheese (my favorite) and chicken tamales. They only offer them on the weekends as part of a breakfast special that has the tamale, two eggs anyway you want 'em (I have mine scrambled) and either their back beans or their refired beans (both are excellent, but I go for the refried because I have rarely ever had better).

Edited by jazzbo

Salvadoran tamales? Sounds excellent. My aunt, born in Mexico, makes tamales to die for-- pork, chorizo/peppers/pork, and some sweet cinnamon and cinnamon/banana (!)-- I can make an OK tamale, but like my pie crusts, it is far from my most competent dish.

Now I'm hungry...

They only offer them on the weekends as part of a breakfast special that has the tamale, two eggs anyway you want 'em (I have mine scrambled) and either their back beans or their refired beans (both are excellent, but I go for the refried because I have rarely ever had better).

And everyone stays upwind of you for the rest of the day, right?

Hmm. Maybe I'd better forget the fajitas next time at El Burro and give 'em a shot. Although to be honest, this looks like something that would be better made at a dive where they don't speak English. Fortunately, I know just the place. (I can only order chicken there, because the only "meat" word I know is pollo.)

Speaking of tamales, and this just might be only a SoCal thing, but remember those tamales-in-a-can that you could buy in stores :wacko: ? Man, those were the worst things ever! To think our mothers thought we were getting "Authentic Mexican Food" -- it's lucky anyone ever ate any Mexican food after that experience.

I would like to cast my vote for Green Corn tamales-though they actually use yellow corn-done right they are fantastic. I also like Chicken tamales. I have a friend here who just finished making a large amount of both and I'm gonna get me some-YOW!!!

Jazzmoose,Jazzmoose you scoundrel,you hooligan,you non tamale eater. You live in Cali and have never had tamales- I will bow my head on your behalf! :g