A Caravans Mosaic?

The Caravans recorded for States from 1952 to 1956; for Gospel (a subsidiary of Savoy) from 1958 to 1962; for Vee-Jay from 1962 to 1965; and for Gospel again from 1966 to 1967/8. In that time, they recorded 229 tracks. Very little of the material has been reissued on CD, and it’s all out of print now anyway. Looks like it would make an 8 or 9 CD box.

Mosaic has issued some blues & R &B boxes in the past – T-Bone Walker and Amos Milburn – so why not a box of one of the most important of the female gospel groups; one that featured:

Albertina Walker

Inez Andrews

Dorothy Norwood

Shirley Caesar

Delores Washington

Cassietta George

Bessie Griffin (to whom I’m listening now) and

Rev James Cleveland (who played piano and occasionally took a vocal with the group)

The States material appears to have been acquired by Savoy, when United closed. The Vee-Jay material has been reissued variously by Peacock, Nashboro, Savoy, Trip, Exodus, Oldies, Buddah and Mistletoe.

I wonder what MC’s reaction would be…

MG

Or Bear Family?

Have any gospel collections appeared on Bear Family?

I wouldn't say no to a Bear Family box :) But I like the idea of Mosaic expanding its horizons a bit.

MG

I believe Mosaic HAS already expanded its horizons! See Four Freshmen, Braxton, Threadgill and Carter/Bradford for starters.

Or Bear Family?

Have any gospel collections appeared on Bear Family?

I wouldn't say no to a Bear Family box :) But I like the idea of Mosaic expanding its horizons a bit.

MG

I believe Mosaic HAS already expanded its horizons! See Four Freshmen, Braxton, Threadgill and Carter/Bradford for starters.

All jazz, though. I thought they were expanding their horizons when they issued some blues/R&B material, but they funked it.

MG