World Cup 2010

US WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In dramatic fashion, no less!

How could that be? I thought this thing was rigged against the USA?

I couldn't watch the game, unfortunately. But a great achievement for the U.S. team.

I guess they could get Germany next? Still to be determined.

Plan to watch one of the later games. Australia vs. Serbia looks like the better match, yes?

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done US for grabbing the top slot in the group.

England played a lot better today but will still struggle against better teams unless they continue to improve. I'm hoping that US get Germany and England have Serbia or Ghana in the next round.

... I'm hoping that US get Germany and England have Serbia or Ghana in the next round.

Isn't the other-way-round? Since USA topped the group, they'll play either Serbia or Ghana?

Not too sure that group D's really decided yet. All depends on tonight's games, I think. If Germany lose they may not top the group

this from BBC site "Group D: Ghana and Germany will advance if they draw and Serbia draw with Australia. If Germany, Ghana or Serbia win, they go through. Serbia will qualify with a draw if Germany beat Ghana by more than one goal or if Ghana wins. Australia need to beat Serbia heavily and hope the other game ends in a draw or a big defeat or else they are out."

... I'm hoping that US get Germany and England have Serbia or Ghana in the next round.

Isn't the other-way-round? Since USA topped the group, they'll play either Serbia or Ghana?

Not too sure that group D's really decided yet. All depends on tonight's games, I think. If Germany lose they may not top the group

this from BBC site "Group D: Ghana and Germany will advance if they draw and Serbia draw with Australia. If Germany, Ghana or Serbia win, they go through. Serbia will qualify with a draw if Germany beat Ghana by more than one goal or if Ghana wins. Australia need to beat Serbia heavily and hope the other game ends in a draw or a big defeat or else they are out."

You're right, the places are TBD after the afternoon games.

If I'm the USA team, I would much rather play Ghana than Germany. Hope the score line holds...

Not sure, Ghana is an unpredictable host, after Germany scored I thought that Germany should score at least one/two goal on counterattacks, they didn't, overall Ghana had much more chance to score then Germany, so a drawn would have been much fair.

I'm still speechless (and exhausted) after what the U.S. did today. Rather than talk about that, I just wanted to congratulate Kenny Weir on the way Australia finished things out their tournament. For awhile there, it looked like a very good possibility that Germany would get a second goal, Serbia would go scoreless, and the U.S. would have played Australia instead of Ghana. After the way the tournament began for the Aussies, it was quite an achievement to come that close.

I'm still speechless (and exhausted) after what the U.S. did today. Rather than talk about that, I just wanted to congratulate Kenny Weir on the way Australia finished things out their tournament. For awhile there, it looked like a very good possibility that Germany would get a second goal, Serbia would go scoreless, and the U.S. would have played Australia instead of Ghana. After the way the tournament began for the Aussies, it was quite an achievement to come that close.

Yeah, they did good. That's redemption, for sure.

Oddly, they got the same results as last time - loss, draw, win - but truthfully they didn't really deserve to go through. And I confess to being a bit relieved in a funny sort of way.

And how surreal was that? The winner AND loser of one game going through. The loser AND winner of the other going out. :crazy:

What with a fifth set tiebreak going to almost 60 games apiece (to be continued) and Australia's once wildly popular Prime Minister being ousted before even seeing out a first term ... to be replaced by our first ever female PM ... well, I reckon the whole world's gone bonkers.

Next time, the Socceroos will be an completely different team - and I'm looking forward to the rebirth process.

Blimey, great effort by the US - I reckon they've got a shot of going further.

And go you bloody beaut Kiwis, too. :party:

With only a few minutes left: Slovakia 3, Italy 1; Italy are on the way out...

(edit) It's now Slovakia 3, Italy 2. An improbable comeback in the making?

Full time: Slovakia 3, Italy 2. Italy are indeed out.

That Italy vs. Slovakia game was one wild game! Exciting.

Italy appeared to be coasting for over an hour. Very strange. Once they began to form an attack, with Pirlo showing them how to keep the ball, they provided an exciting finish. Ironically, it was their defense that let them down in the end.

Japan have thumped Denmark to qualify and the mood here is euphoric disbelief.

Good job by Japan. Their team seems to have come of age, and - most importantly - gained a previously lacking nouse for actually getting goals in the opposition net.

Bug thumbs up, too, for the Kiwis. Widely expected to be the laughing stock of the tournament, they were eliminated - but without being beaten.

Edited by kenny weir