Great US tenor players who DIDN'T record for Blue Note

OK, Blue Note did record some of the greatest tenor players. Dan made a funny remark on another thread that prompted this, because there are no doubt no end of great tenor players, who were around in that period, who didn't work for Blue Note, even as sidemen.

Coleman Hawkins

Ben Webster

Lester Young

Illinois Jacquet

Arnett Cobb

Willis Jackson

Gene Ammons

Buddy Tate

Rusty Bryant

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis

Teddy Edwards

Jimmy Forrest

Von Freeman

Rahsaan Roland Kirk

Eddie Harris

Red Holloway

Benny Golson (I think)

Pharoah Sanders

Fred Anderson

Lucky Thompson ?

Budd Johnson

That's all I can think of.

MG

I could be wrong but I want to say that Red Holloway was a sideman on a BN date. Has Houston Person appeared on a BN since the relaunch? Pretty sure he never did during the first incarnation through the 70s.

How about Ralph Moore? I know some don't like him but greatness in the ear of the beholder and I've enjoyed just about everything I've heard of his.

I could be wrong but I want to say that Red Holloway was a sideman on a BN date. Has Houston Person appeared on a BN since the relaunch? Pretty sure he never did during the first incarnation through the 70s.

How about Ralph Moore? I know some don't like him but greatness in the ear of the beholder and I've enjoyed just about everything I've heard of his.

I don't know of a Red Holloway recording for Blue Note.

Houston Person has been on at least two Blue Note dates - Horace Silver's "That healin' feelin'" and Grant Green's Club Mozambique session, which wasn't released until a couple of years ago.

I don't think I know who Ralph Moore is - though I expect you can remind me. (I know who Wild Bill Moore is, though, if that's any help :D)

(One who nearly made it into the list was Oliver Nelson, but he arranged Stanley Turrentine's "Joyride". I think that's all he did for BN, though.)

How many of the "sons of Lester" recorded for Blue Note?

Wardell Gray

Stan Getz

Al Cohn

Zoot Sims

Allen Eager

Jimmy Giuffre

Bill Holman

Richie Kamuca

Bob Cooper

Bill Perkins

Many were California-based, as were:

Harold Land

Teddy Edwards

I may be wrong on some of these, but I'm not going to fall into the trap of saying Tubby Hayes never recorded for Blue Note, 'cos he did (even if he didn't have his name on the cover):

51X9SWEvGRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just noticed it's US only. Tubbs out on another score!

Edited by BillF

How many of the "sons of Lester" recorded for Blue Note?

Wardell Gray

Stan Getz

Al Cohn

Zoot Sims

Allen Eager

Jimmy Giuffre

Bill Holman

Richie Kamuca

Bob Cooper

Bill Perkins

Many were California-based, as were:

Harold Land

Teddy Edwards

I may be wrong on some of these, but I'm not going to fall into the trap of saying Tubby Hayes never recorded for Blue Note, 'cos he did (even if he didn't have his name on the cover):

51X9SWEvGRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

from Barak's list

Curtis Amy, Stan Getz, Wardell Gray, Sal Nistico

Wardell Gray (and Allen Eager) were on a 1948 Tadd Dameron session. But Amy, Getz and Nistico didn't record for BN.

Harold Land was on some Bobby Hutcherson sessions.

Teddy Edwards was included in my original list. But I see he was on an unissued Lorez Alexander session. (I'm looking up the index in the discography, see?)

Al Cohn (and Zoot) appeared on Blue Note, but it was a reissue from UA, so I reckon that doesn't count. But Zoot also appeared on a Jutta Hipp session.

Jimmy Giuffre appeared on a session produced by Leonard Feather in 1954 rsulting in 2 10" LPs called "Best from the west".

Bill Holman did the arrangements for Carmen McRae's contribution to "Blue Note meet the LA Philharmonic" (1977). Bill Perkins was on those sides, too.

Richie Kamuca is on the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis album "Consummation", which someone was playing today - you I think :)

So, that's Al Cohn and Bob Cooper to you, Sidewinder. It really is amazing who HAS ecorded for Blue Note.

MG

Ralph Moore was an early neo-bopper, getting his shot with Horace in the early 80s. Played in the first post-Carson Tonight Show Band for a while and then seems to have disappeared from the music world.

Yes, I know who he is now. He appeared on one side of Freddie Hubbard's "Life flight" on blue Note, which I have :)

MG

Archie Shepp

Albert Ayler

Yes, and there'd be a bit of a bunch of ESP guys I'd forgotten about.

MG

Checking my original list

Strike out Ben Webster - recorded with both James P Johnson and Benny Morton in the forties.

Strike out Benny Golson, too - he was on "Moanin'" which I forgot. And a few other sessions.

And Lucky Thompson recorded for BN with Monk.

And Budd Johnson was on Stanley Turrentine's "Joyride".

Goodness!

MG

How's about Sonny Stitt?

Sonny did a session for BN, but it was unsuccessful. One track came out on the "Lost sessions" CD.

MG

So, that's Al Cohn and Bob Cooper to you, Sidewinder.

?

Oops, sorry, for the second time this evening.

MG

Richie Kamuca is on the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis album "Consummation", which someone was playing today - you I think :)

Not a BN date. The Jones/Lewis big band records were made for Solid State.

I seem to remember reading in Richard Cook's book on Blue Note Records that this 1970 big band recording was a result of change of ownership/policy at Blue Note. Of course, I may be wrong! :)