Mosaic Records - Jazz Cruise

BeBop

Mosaic Records is proud to announce that it is partnering with Jazz Cruises, LLC to provide its loyal customers with the "Mosaic Guest Package" for the 10th anniversary sailing of The Jazz Cruise.

The Jazz Cruise Offers the Finest in Food, Service and Amenities

But the Real Prize is the Amazing Music.

For seven days and seven nights there will be more music than at any other festival, concert or event in the world. At any one time during the day, you may choose from three to five different outstanding performances to enjoy. You can see the first set of one group and then head off to another venue to catch the second set of another.

The Jazz Cruise is more than just a series of jazz performances. They have their own big band, comprised of great musicians and led by such folks as Ken Peplowski, the cruise music director, and the legendary Johnny Mandel. This "straight-ahead" jazz experience features such superb musicians as James Moody, Randy Brecker, Wes Anderson, Lewis Nash, Bucky Pizzarelli, Terrell Stafford, George Wein, Houston Person and over 70 musicians as well as a number of vocalists including Jane Monheit, Nnenna Freelon and the venerable Freddy Cole.

The Mosaic Records Lounge

An Intimate Experience

In addition to all the jazz performances our own Scott Wenzel will be hosting various events in the Mosaic Records Lounge. Scott will be spinning records from various Mosaic collections in a relaxed and intimate lounge setting. Come and relax, grab a drink, engage in conversation with some of the greatest music in the background.

As the musicians will be on board for the full 7 days, we will host panel discussions, one on one chats with musicians, and other impromptu ideas that may arise when you combine the magnificent beauty of the open waters, one of the world's great art forms and a drink or two.

The Mosaic Records Guest Package

Only Available to Mosaic Customers

Including a $250 Gift Card!

Special Musician Meet and Greet:

At our discretion we can arrange ahead of time for meet and greets with specific artists for Mosaic VIPs.

Preferred Seating at Selected Events:

This refers to premium reserved seating at selected events for Mosaic VIPs.

Preferred Dining Assignments:

We offer an early and late dinner assignments, and can reserve tables for Mosaic VIPs at either seatings, or both.

$250 Mosaic Records Gift Card:

Gift Card to be delivered to you on board the cruise ship.

A Free Mosaic Single CD:

CD to be delivered to you on board the cruise ship. When booking the reservation, please inform the reservationist of your choice.

-------------

I think I'm going to be ill. A cruise.

Edited by BeBop

What exactly makes a jazz cruise nausea-inducing? A jazz (or blues) cruise is the only reason I'd have to get on one of those boats. Much better opportunity to actually talk to the musicians than at a club gig, and on top of all of the scheduled performances they usually jam after the show. Chiaruscoro has released quite a number of enjoyable CDs taken from their jazz cruises - I can think of releases by Nat Adderley, Lou Donaldson, Red Holloway, Al Grey (I think), Junior Mance.

so again, what makes this so offensive?

I'm still kicking myself for backing out of the Jazz Cruise the year it was dedicated to the music of Gerry Mulligan, with the man himself on board. I had to back out at the last minute. I don't think Gerry did another gig after that cruise and I never did get a chance to see/hear him live. I still regret that.

Me and Bebop have already made our reservations (I'll take the top bunk, Beeb, after the last escapade of which we'll say no more except that my ribs are now almost healed). See you in the bar, Dan? I'll be the one with a fourth helping of lobster bisque from the all-day buffet dripping from his beard. Er, that might not narrow it down much, I realise...

Oh and for the record, I don't have a beard. But I'll grow one. What else can you do on a cruise?

Very interesting...

I'm happy they've got some co-sponsors (which is presumably helping the bottom line - which is what we are interested in)...

Not sure what the price tag is but I'd be up for it if I had the $$$$ (and could get the wife and kid to go....) :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

Can you imagine the mayhem if all the regulars on this board signed up for a jazz cruise!

I admire the fact that jazz is being played on US cruise ships (although mainly conservative Concord label stuff). European cruises are limited to Barry Manilow & Co.

Well this isn't what I'd call cheap. I drilled down a little further and found that the least expensive cabin can be had for $1,750. The most expensive is $7,500. There's also air fare to consider and a $300 fee that apparently pre-pays your gratuities. Not sure what the freight is for niceties like the preferential dining arrangements. Apparently, these things do sell out fairly quickly. According to the website, this current cruise is already 75% booked.

The good news is the same outfit also does smooth jazz cruises. They actually pay you to go on these.

Me and Bebop have already made our reservations (I'll take the top bunk, Beeb, after the last escapade of which we'll say no more except that my ribs are now almost healed). See you in the bar, Dan? I'll be the one with a fourth helping of lobster bisque from the all-day buffet dripping from his beard. Er, that might not narrow it down much, I realise...

Oh and for the record, I don't have a beard. But I'll grow one. What else can you do on a cruise?

A brilliant reply.

It's not the "Jazz" that offends.

In the 80s Woody's band did some jazz cruises on the SS Norway- they were produced by Hank O'Neal of Chiaroscouro Records.

They were lots of fun- in addition to playing our own sets, we backed up players like Dizzy, Clark, Al Cohn, Jake Hanna, Cab Calloway, Joe Williams, Mel Torme and many others. It did provide an opportunity to spend time up close & personal with these artists (you should have seen Dizzy puttin' away the BBQ), plus we would hang with crew members who knew some great "insider" spots on the ship and in the various ports (away from the touristy stuff). A week or two was plenty, though- I don't think I could stand to work on a cruise ship. If you are an employee there are all sorts of rules to keep you separate from the passengers.

I think this Mosaic cruise would be big fun, just a little too pricey for me.

I'll go when they invite Hank Mobley!

Ghost ship. :ph34r:

The jam band scene has cruises and I've known a couple of folks who have done those. I'm too much of a germaphobe about Norwalk virus to ever contemplate a cruise. It's not just that, sorta the scenarios that were mentioned earlier. But hey, if this keeps Mosaic afloat I'm all for it!