VIDEO: Elvin Jones Trio in 1968

ghost of miles

fabulous clip, thanks

Wow, you don't get sideburns like that anymore! smile.gif

I was just playing the Elvin Jones Mosaic boxset the other day and thinking what a fantastic group this was. Hard to believe that none of them are with us now.

I've been recently researching the individual Lps with a view to buying some of them - still reasonably priced. Are there any sessions from the box that you'd particularly recommend? I have and enjoy Poly-currents

Off to cultivate the sideburns as wellrolleyes.gif

fabulous clip, thanks

Wow, you don't get sideburns like that anymore! smile.gif

I was just playing the Elvin Jones Mosaic boxset the other day and thinking what a fantastic group this was. Hard to believe that none of them are with us now.

I've been recently researching the individual Lps with a view to buying some of them - still reasonably priced. Are there any sessions from the box that you'd particularly recommend? I have and enjoy Poly-currents

Off to cultivate the sideburns as wellrolleyes.gif

My two favourite albums are the trio sessions with Joe Farrell - 'Puttin' It Together' & 'The Ultimate Elvin Jones'.

'Puttin' It Together' has been out on CD but is hard to find at a 'reasonable price' (whatever that is!). I'm not sure whether 'The Ultimate EJ' has ever had a CD release. It's a great shame that these two superb recordings are not currently in print, but I guess you could say that about lots of other recordings too. Eventually, everything seems to turn up in one form or another!

Edited by Head Man

fabulous clip, thanks

I've been recently researching the individual Lps with a view to buying some of them - still reasonably priced. Are there any sessions from the box that you'd particularly recommend? I have and enjoy Poly-currents.

The two that I find myself going back to most are "Merry-Go-Round," which has great, diverse material, a band that swells from a trio up to an octet and fine, focused studio playing from Liebman, Grossman,Farrell, Corea, Hammer -- one of my favorite Elvin-led sessions from any period. The other is "Live at the Lighthouse," which captures the two-tenor working quartet (Liebman, Grossman, Perla) really going for it in a club; Elvin sounds like a miracle and it's a strong document of the first wave of young, post-Coltrane tenors.

Edited by Mark Stryker

• 2 weeks later...