"Daddy-O! Father-and-Son Teams in Jazz"

A tribute to father-and-son jazz formations this week on Night Lights, in honor of the upcoming Father's Day holiday:

Daddy-O!  Father-and-Son Teams in Jazz

Plenty of material left over for a sequel next year...and special thanks (as noted at the bottom of the program page and at the end of the program itself) to board members Chuck Nessa and rostasi.

Edited by ghost of miles

A tribute to father-and-son jazz formations this week on Night Lights, in honor of the upcoming Father's Day holiday:

Daddy-O! Father-and-Son Teams in Jazz

Plenty of material left over for a sequel next year...and special thanks (as noted at the bottom of the program page and at the end of the program itself) to board members Chuck Nessa and rostasi.

A good one, David! Hearing Ammons père et fils together was really something! At the time (1947) they must have seemed poles apart, but less so, viewed from today, I think. As has been mentioned in another thread, we also have our jazz dynasties here in Britain. Pianist Stan Tracey and drummer son Clark (good jazz name!) Tracey come to mind, as well as altoist and band leader John Dankworth and bassist son Alec. I am particularly pleased to have seen father-and-son tenorists Jimmy and Alan Skidmore at gigs 45 years apart! As befits the time lapse, Alan was a Lester/Hawkins man, while Alan has a Coltrane thing going.

Edited by BillF

• 6 years later...
On 18.6.2017 at 2:38 PM, ghost of miles said:

I know you cannot accommodate everything but just maybe to reduce multiple features of one and the same father/son duo (and offer some instrument contrasts), wouldn't there have been room for a track featuring Jimmy and Doug Raney?

On 21/06/2010 at 1:29 AM, ghost of miles said:

Bill, thanks much about the show--it was a lot of fun to put together. Sooner or later Night Lights needs to make some forays into the annals of UK jazz.

:tup

How about a UK 'Progressive Jazz' feature, 1967-72?

Graham Collier, Mike Westbrook, Michael Garrick, Ian Carr John Surman etc.

Plus features on the Rendell//Carr Quintet and Neil Ardley/New Jazz Orchestra

8 hours ago, BillF said:

Any progress in that direction, David?

Not enough... I'll try to get on it!

7 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I know you cannot accommodate everything but just maybe to reduce multiple features of one and the same father/son duo (and offer some instrument contrasts), wouldn't there have been room for a track featuring Jimmy and Doug Raney?

If I ever end up doing a sequel, they'll definitely be in it.