My First Recording By ______

Dan Gould

I don't know if this will be interesting to anyone else, but I thought it might be fun to post your first recording by a particular artist, with the post that follows limited to

A. Your first recording by the same artist - if different

OR

B. Your first recording by anyone who appeared on the previous named recording

Edit to add:

It must be a leader date by the sideman, not just any date at all. The idea is exposure to recordings as a leader rather than any recording at all.

So, if you don't have a recording by the artist or any of his sidemen, you can't post (if the thread moves into Free Jazz I'll be in trouble). But any sideman is fair game, so there's sort of a "degree of separation" element that should bring the thread into and out of different subgenres and might be fun to follow. Of course for many of us it may not be possible to know for sure what the first recording was but I don't think absolute accuracy is the point.

Edit to add:

To make the connections clear, if posting about a new artist, mention that he played on the previously posted recording. So, VB might have posted:

Bill Evans played on Modern Art, my first Evans was:

The Complete ....

I'll start with the recording I saw in a catalog that triggered the idea.

My first recording by Art Farmer:

Farmer's Market

It had Hank Mobley and Kenny Drew and that was good enough for me.

Anyone interested in keeping this going?

Edited by Dan Gould

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I am going to get back to Art Farmer.

As I explored modern jazz more or less chronologically (I had developed a liking for bebop early on so started from there onwards) when charting (for me) unknown territory (artists) I tended to start with the "early works" of 50s "name" jazzmen. My first Art Farmer record therefore was

"The Art Farmer Septet - Plays the Compositions and Arrangements of Gigi Gryce and Quincy Jones" (Prestige P-7031).

What did the trick for me in this case, I think, was that I had already owned the Clifford Brown Paris sessions 3-LP set of 1953 for a long time and had always liked the compositions and scores of Gigi Gryce. And I wasn't disappointed here either.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I thin perhaps some didn't read the "rules" that I posted:

A different recording by the same artist - if your "first" was different.

Or a "first" recording by a musician on the LP/CD named.

and no "going back" - its like the Name Three People - if something new was posted, you can't go four posts back and restart it.

I think the best way to make the connections clear is to identify the new artist as having been on the session of the prior CD.

Seems to me that the last valid post was Gentle Side of John Coltrane, so let's continue from there:

John Coltrane, Blue Train

OK, my fault, I got this wrong ...

mea maxima culpa ... ;)

So I will herewith go on as follows and bring things back a bit further back in time:

Tadd Dameron - MATING CALL (Prestige)

(And it will be interesting to see if things keep revolving around "Trane" as the "easy way out" in this game ... :D

So anybody want to go the Dameron, John Simmons or PJJ route? ;) )

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Modern Jazz Quartet, The Last Concert

Dizzy Gillespie - In the Beginning (Prestige 24030)

(My first purchase of a record including John Lewis and Milt Jackson, but it's a 2-record set with lots of different sidemen on all those tracks so there should be plenty of directions to go on from :cool: )

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Tony Scott Quartet -- Music After Midnight (Brunswick), 1953

Scott, Dick Katz, Milt Hinton, Philly Joe Jones

This ten-inch LP, recorded live at Mintons, was a first for me for all but especially Philly Joe -- hadn't heard a drummer like that before.

Jazztone ten-inch anthology that included Red Norvo's "Congo Blues," with Parker and Gillespie, and Max Kaminsky's "Stuyvesant Blues," with Pee Wee Russell and Joe Sullivan. Firsts for me all around.

(My first purchase of a record including John Lewis and Milt Jackson, but it's a 2-record set with lots of different sidemen on all those tracks so there should be plenty of directions to go on from :cool: )

This still isn't kosher. Out of the MJQ record, one could post a different MJQ as your "first" or a "first" recording led by Milt Jackson, John Lewis, Percy Heath or Connie Kay. I realize I didn't make that clear I presumed it was implied. If we go by records that one of the musicians appeared on, I think its too wide-ranging. The idea is your first exposure to leader dates.

This ten-inch LP, recorded live at Mintons, was a first for me for all but especially Philly Joe -- hadn't heard a drummer like that before.

Jazztone ten-inch anthology that included Red Norvo's "Congo Blues," with Parker and Gillespie, and Max Kaminsky's "Stuyvesant Blues," with Pee Wee Russell and Joe Sullivan. Firsts for me all around.

Is Tony Scott on the Dizzy LP Steve posted? If not, this isn't kosher either.

To repeat the rules:

You may post a different "first" recording by the same artist as the prior post.

You may post a different "first" recording by any member of the group on that previously posted recording, so long as he is the leader of the new recording.

Thanks for your attention. :)

Bobby Hutcherson is on This is Billy Mitchell, and believe it or not my first leader date by Booby is

Cruisin the Bird (Landmark)

So Ralph Moore, Buddy Montgomery, Victor Lewis or Rufus Reid or of course another Booby leader date "fits".

This still isn't kosher. Out of the MJQ record, one could post a different MJQ as your "first" or a "first" recording led by Milt Jackson, John Lewis, Percy Heath or Connie Kay. I realize I didn't make that clear I presumed it was implied. If we go by records that one of the musicians appeared on, I think its too wide-ranging. The idea is your first exposure to leader dates.

Is Tony Scott on the Dizzy LP Steve posted? If not, this isn't kosher either.

To repeat the rules:

You may post a different "first" recording by the same artist as the prior post.

You may post a different "first" recording by any member of the group on that previously posted recording, so long as he is the leader of the new recording.

Thanks for your attention. :)

Sorry -- I misunderstood/misread. OTOH the rules feel too complicated to me. All I was trying to do was recall some of my own "first" encounters with various artists, not bounce off of the "firsts" of someone else. But it's your thread. :)