A short film about "Giant Steps"

At the risk of sounding like a nutcase, I was literally moved to tears of joy and excitement, the first time through this, the way the structure started from the rootsiest of forms and gradually built, and then, when it had reached maximum traditional density began to abstract itself by removing the obvious portions and just leaving the highlights, then expanding them into more and more abstract forms until the structure and its surrounding environment were one and the same, a total merging of self-specific and universal. Then, unity having been achieved, it was time to go, so poof! The story of Trane's musical/personal life/odyssey/whatever, (and all of ours, eventually) told in a little bit o'compruter generated graphicosity, the profound made playful. Like I sad, I was deeply moved.

The second time through, I called my son in to watch it, so I kept my lachrymosity to myself. His response? "Hey, that's pretty cool!"

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

That is great! Seeing how someone else hears/sees music is always fasinating. I thought that the run at the end of the song, the red dot was going to hit all those other dots and make them disappear. This is one of my favorite Coltrane songs.

Edited by dave9199

That was neat but I wish he hadn't cut the tune! :)

Jim, try it again! my first time through had that cut with about 10 seconds remaining. when i played it for some guys at the studio it has the most beautifully perfect ending. i only wish i could figure out how to get it to be loaded as more than a thumbnail.

it reminded me a bit of the rhapsody in blue short from fantasia 2000. the hirschfeld inspired piece.

now from what i hear that maya program is one intense piece of software to master. anyone ever tried?