Decoy & Joe McPhee

mjazzg

Many of us on this board enjoyed the earlier Decoy releases I seem to remember. The playing of Mr Hawkins, of this parish, garnering much deserved recognition

Just spotted that their new release with Joe McPhee is now available here http://www.boweavilrecordings.com/Mcpheedecoy.html

I was lucky enough to be at Cafe Oto the night of this recording and it was an evening of exceptional music which will stay in the memory for a long time even without this recorded document. Joe McPhee was magnificent and the interraction between him and the trio was seamless.

Not too sure why Bo Weavil have chosen to describe Mr McPhee as 'infamous' on their News page though - a touch disrepectful methinks

Thanks for mentioning this! It was a real privilege to play with Joe. It goes without saying that he is a wonderful, wonderful player, but it's also important to say that he's one of life's genuinely nice people too. I really hope we get to play again before too long!

I notice there are some sound samples up at this page...please do check it out..!

I have been a personal friend of Joe's for about 45 years and what Alexander says is absolutely true. Joe is as wonderful a person as he is a player, and I have never understood why his work is appreciated more overseas than it is at home.

Calling him "infamous" is simply ignorant. The only negative thing I can say about Joe is that he does not call often enough. :)

I'll mention this to the guys at the label...in their defence (the guy who runs Bo'Weavil is a huge admirer of Joe's, and we all got on famously on the night of the recording!!!), I'm positive it's just the wrong word which has been used, rather than any disrespect intended!

I assumed it was just a misuse of a word - someone wrote infamous & meant not famous. Hope that was the case.

Edited by paul secor

infamous/famous, that's surely where the mistake was made. I once told Joe that he was the world's best known obscure musician. smile.gif

yes and when I first read it I thought it had to be unintentional slip and that maybe 'unfamous' was more accurate and less disrepectful especially if preceded by 'unjustly'.

Edited by mjazzg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

It’s amazing that McPhee is still playing all over the world and seems as busy as ever @ 80. Next Saturday he will be back near home playing in a trio on 2/8 in Port Jervis, NY with Michael Bisio & Chris Corsano. I’m trying to move a few things around to get there.

Edited by Steve Reynolds