"It's All in the Game: Louis Armstrong 1947-57"

This weekend's Night Lights Louis Armstrong program is up, featuring lots of music from Armstrong's 1947-57 period (including the bebopper parody of "The Whiffenpoof Song") and interviews with jazz writer Dan Morgenstern and historian Michael McGerr:

It's All in the Game: Louis Armstrong, 1947-57

The program page also includes about half a dozen outtakes from my interviews with Dan and Michael, as well as a segment on Louis and Jack Teagarden that had to be removed from the final version of the program, and a slide show featuring several William Gottlieb photographs of Armstrong (as well as a revelation about the cover of the AMBASSADOR SATCH album ^_^ ).

A happy Fourth of July holiday weekend to all.

Edited by ghost of miles

I thought that the topic referred to something I've never heard of: an Armstrong recording of "It's All In The Game". I remember that as a pop hit by Tommy Edwards, and I always liked it. (He did it twice, actually -- in 1951 and 1958).

I later learned it was already 40 years old, and it was just that lyrics had been added (by Carl Sigman) to "Dawes' Melody". The interesting thing was that the Dawes was Charles Dawes, who had been Vice President of the USA to Calvin Coolidge.

I wonder if Joe Biden is working on a rap career. :rolleyes:

Edit: I do remember LA's recording of the tune -- had a blank spot for a minute!

Edited by Ted O'Reilly

I thought that the topic referred to something I've never heard of: an Armstrong recording of "It's All In The Game". I remember that as a pop hit by Tommy Edwards, and I always liked it. (He did it twice, actually -- in 1951 and 1958).

I later learned it was already 40 years old, and it was just that lyrics had been added (by Carl Sigman) to "Dawes' Melody". The interesting thing was that the Dawes was Charles Dawes, who had been Vice President of the USA to Calvin Coolidge.

Edit: I do remember LA's recording of the tune -- had a blank spot for a minute!

There's a great version by Van Morrison. I didn't know about Pops' version. I'll have to look for it.

There's a great version by Van Morrison. I didn't know about Pops' version. I'll have to look for it.

It's in the show, about 24:50 in: It's All in the Game: Louis Armstrong, 1947-57. I took it from the CD SATCHMO IN STYLE.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...