"I Hear Music..."

LarryCurleyMoe

Hey folks!

I'm excited and grooving! I just bought and am spinning "Echoes of an Era" CD with Chaka Khan, vocals; Freddie Hubbard, trpt.; Joe Henderson, tenor; Chick-Stanley Clarke-Lenny White, rhythmn section!

This album's a MOFO! Chaka is beautiful and sings jazz SO WELL (IMHO)!!!! NICE AS *ELL contributions from ALL members of the band- Freddie, JOE, Chick...Thanks Rhino!

I passed on this many yrs. ago - DON'T let it happen to you!

By the way, does anyone know if the Griffith Park Collection has been reissued anywhere? Formerly Elektra-Musician??

• 1 year later...

I'm dredging this one up because I saw a used copy today and ended up passing on it. Something about the date (1982) and Stanley Clarke's name on it - unfair I suppose but I'm not a huge fan, even though here he reportedly is on acoustic bass throughout.

LarryCurleyMoe's post from last year didn't exactly alight the world. So is this a worthwhile date, or one that failed to live up to its potential?

Maybe not a "great" record, but it'll be better than you expect, Tony. Joe & Chick are both in excellent form, and Chakka does no harm.

As for clarke, yeah, he's on upright, he's miked direct, and he's got that low action sound. But do did damn near everyother bass player under the age of back then.

I'd say go for it, if only for Joe & Chick. Especially at used prices.

this album was on my wishlist for a while and i got it immediately when it was released on CD. i had it on vynil and always loved it.

hopefully Rhino will release the second concert with Nancy Wilson replacing Chaka. i´m not sure if i still have my VHS copy....

Marcus