What's a reasonable time to wait in a doctor's office?

Waiting game  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I had a 2:40 appointment today. Walked in to a deserted waiting room. Last patient to sign in before me was at 1:30.

Still waiting at 3 p.m., started getting pissed. At about 3:15, asked the receptionist how much longer. Just then, door pops open and I'm finally invited in to one of the examination rooms for a quick blood pressure check, etc. -- then I wait, and wait, and wait. At 3:45 I open the door and say I have places to go. Can't stay here all afternoon. Doctor appears just before 4 p.m.

4-fucking-p.m. for a 2:40 appointment. (This is a new doctor, btw, due to new insurance not covering my old doctor).

Pissed doesn't begin to cover it. I figure 20 minutes max is about the norm, even though it's still not acceptable.

So how long would you sit in an empty waiting room for the doctor to stop scratching his balls and see you?

That sucks. I've been through that too. One time my wife wasn't feeling well, I took her to the doctor and we sat there for 3 1/2 hours. That was the last time we used that doctor. He had booked more patients then seats. People were standing in the waiting room. And of course we got the you must pay your co-payment first before seeing the doctor.

Bottom line is doctors only care about their overbooked schedule...not yours.

What importance can there be about our jobs? We don't matter.

We are just the patients. We are there just to serve them. Heavens forbid we should ask for an appointment after our work hours.

What fools we are :rolleyes:

Doctor's get emergencies.

Like we don't?

Oh, no of course. I keep forgetting we patients don't matter.

What was I thinking?

Uh...the difference is that a doctor's emergency could be someone bleeding to death, not you being late to pick up your kid from soccer practice. But, as Harold says, the staff should keep you informed.

Soccer practice, what...are you kidding me? So bleeding is the only emergency? Seriously?

My emergencies involve kids passing out, fighting after school, reporting abuse, breaking up gang altercations, consoling a kid in tears, drug/alcohol use, parents pitching a nutty, health issues and general pandemonium.

But I'm made to wait.

Oh, that's fair. :rolleyes:

Edited by GoodSpeak

Doctor's get emergencies. IF that was the case the office personnel should of informed you asap and you could have made an informed decision whether to stay or leave.

Wasn't an emergency in my case. In fact, the appointment was originally scheduled for two weeks ago and his office called me the day of the appointment to cancel because the doc had to go to the hospital.

While I was in the waiting room today, a young, attractive woman came in and was ushered directly to the inner sanctum. I assumed she was a salesperson.

My previous doctor was quite good about being prompt with appointments. Rarely more than a 5 or 10 minute wait. And once in the examining room, he was always pretty quick to come in. I was in this guy's examining room for almost 45 minutes -- and that's after more than a half hour wait in the empty waiting room.

On top of all that, he was unprepared for the specific nature of my visit once I finally got to see him.

He's a dip-shit and I'll be looking for a new doctor.

Edited by papsrus

Uh...the difference is that a doctor's emergency could be someone bleeding to death, not you being late to pick up your kid from soccer practice. But, as Harold says, the staff should keep you informed.

Soccer practice, what...are you kidding me? So bleeding is the only emergency? Seriously?

My emergencies involve kids passing out, fighting after school, reporting abuse, breaking up gang altercations, consoling a kid in tears, drug/alcohol use, parents pitching a nutty, health issues and general pandemonium.

But I'm made to wait.

Oh, that's fair. :rolleyes:

You're right; I don't know what I was thinking. Let the SOB bleed to death so you can get back to grading papers.

I had a stroke in feb 2009 and have been in and out of doctor's offices since then. Before the stroke I wouldn't wait five minutes in a office, now I have no choice since I can't get up and walk away without a cane and a brace on my left leg and the help of an aide. Life sucks.

Edited by Randy Twizzle

My 3 year old son needs to have blood tests every 3 months and we regularly have to wait up to an hour. When he was under 1, and needed the tests every two weeks, we often waited up to 2 hours. On occasion the junior doctors have been unable to find a vein and we’ve come away after an hour and a half without a test done, with him in tears and the need to go back and try again... but on the NHS they are understaffed and there are other kids on the ward with worse stuff so I remain philosophical and we play games and I get a couple of hours off work with him while we wait... :tophat:

BUT for myself, 10 mins max before I destroy everything in sight.

I used to have a doctor who overbooked and I would wait up to an hour, always in a crowded waiting room. To his credit he was working his ass off, and once he saw you he was attentive, conscientious, took the time required and was generally a good doctor. I doubt he ever left the office before 9. Here in France, GPs typically do not have any office staff and do it all themselves, so it naturally takes a bit longer. My current doctor is also good but she doesn't overbook, so one rarely waits long.

I'm pretty tolerant if the doctor is seeing patients continuously; it's hard to predict how long each patient will need. If the waiting room were empty like you described, and no explanation were given, I would definitely see red.