Dinah Washington

Claude Schlouch

It's hard to believe it.

5000 copies of "The Complete Roulette Dinah Washington Sessions" box set sold, and nobody able to reply on this board. Curious...

Wasn't that one of the sets affected by the Mosaic 'disaster'? In which case, a lot less than 5000 probably sold.

I'm sure there must be a few on here who have the set, even so.

Hi folks,

I have already the Mosaic set and all the Mercury box sets, but what I'm looking for are broadcats by Lionel Hampton from 1943 to 1945 when Miss Washingon sang in his various bands, plus broadcasts by Count Basie and Dizzy Gillespie in which she made some appearances.

You know what I mean?

Thanks!

All I can find in my files is the following - I haven't heard it, alas, hence I don't know if the info is accurate and if she's actually on "Blue Skies", singing with Rushing:

Count Basie Orchestra

September 11, 1948

Royal Roost, New York

Radio Broadcast

Clark Terry, Jimmy Nottingham, Harry "Sweets" Edison, Emmett Berry (tp) Bill Johnson, George Matthews, Ted Donnelly, Dicky Wells (tb) Bernie Peacock (as) Earl Warren (as,vcl-1) Wardell Gray, Paul Gonsalves (ts) Jack Washington (bs) Count Basie (p) Freddie Green (g) Singleton Palmer (b) Shadow Wilson (ds) Dinah Washington, Jimmy Rushing (vcl-2)

X-1

Futile Frustration

Good Bait

Moon Nocturne (-1)

Paradise Squat

Blue Skies (-2)

The King

Dear King Ubu,

Thanks for your reply.

I have the complete broadcast with the following titles:

X-1

Futile Frustration

Am I Asking Too Much-vocal Dinah Washington

Evil Gal Blues-vocal Dinah Washington

Good Bait

Moon Nocturne-vocal Earl Warren (who plays alto sax on other titles)

Paradise Squat

I Want To Cry-vocal Dinah Washington

Blue Skies-vocal Jimmy Rushing

The King (superb Wardell Gray solo)

All titles issued on Session Disc 106

Titles in blue type issued on Drive DE2-41096 CD Count Basie At The Royal Roost 1948

• 9 months later...

Hi Claude.

I just registered here - hopefully this information is still useful to you...

The CD "Dinah Washington - Queen Of The Juke Box "Live" 1948-1955" (Baldwin Street Music BJH 310) contains many Boris Rose recordings, including these two with Gillespie from the Royal Roost, October 16th 1948:

I Want To Cry

It's Too Soon To Know

The remaining titles are listed here:

http://www.jazzdisco.org/wynton-kelly/catalog/#baldwin-street-music-bjh-310

The 2001 CD "Lionel Hampton & His Orchestra - 1944/45 Broadcasts" (Soundcraft Compact Classics SC-5014) contains these Hamp broadcasts with Dinah:

Victory Parade Of Spotlight Bands, November 1, 1944

(I Guess) I'm Just The Worrying Kind

Trianon Ballroom, Southgate, CA, September 5, 1944

I'm A Slick Chick

The Man I Love

AFRS Jubilee #103, NBC Studios, Hollywood, CA, October 9, 1944

Is You Is, Or Is You Ain‘t My Baby?

AFRS Jubilee #104, Los Angeles, CA., October 16, 1944

Million Dollar Smile

Spotlight Bands #617, March 8, 1945

Accentuate The Positive

I recall that Dinah is on the Basie Roost broadcast from the 14th as well as the 11th, but I'm not positive. From memory: there are two versions of "I Want To Cry" - the one on Drive Archive is from September 14 and the version on Session Disc 106 is from the 11th.

Hope this helps!

• 3 months later...

Thanks for your kind response, Claude.

I knew I shouldn't have written from memory - I Want To Cry is not even on Drive Archive!

As you are aware, the version from the 14th was recorded by Boris Rose but he never issued it. It did of course appear on a 16" Just Jazz transcription (unfortunately marred by a lengthy Bob Little voiceover).

The Drive Archive CD (DE2-41096) is quite frustrating. The dates assigned in the liner notes are most often inaccurate (and there are major speed/pitch problems on most titles). I spent a while comparing the various issues of the Basie Roost material (Session Disc 106, Ozone 6, Alto AL-702 and Spotlite SPJ134), using Rose's log as a guide, and I'm pretty sure this disc presents six (!) previously unissued performances (in addition to the announcements which were all newly issued as well).

The performances of X-1, Good Bait, Blue Skies and The King presented on DE2-41096 are not the same as the ones heard on Session Disc 106 (although Yanow's liner notes claim they're from the 11th). The King is from the 14th (on Spotlite SPJ134), but the other three titles that claim to be from the 11th had not appeared before.

The previously unissued titles are:

01. Good Bait (poss. September 25, 1948 - 1:00 AM) (Wardell solo!)

04. Robbins Nest (September 14, 1948)

05. Blue Skies -vJR (September 14, 1948)

09. How High The Moon -vAO'D (September 25, 1948 - 1:00 AM)

10. X-1 (poss. September 18, 1948) (Wardell solo!)

11. Little Dog (announced as "Far Cry") (September 25, 1948 - 1:00 AM) (FANTASTIC Wardell solo!)

It's amazing that such important material was not labelled correctly. Yanow even identifies Paul Gonsalves as the guitarist on X-1 - this version has no guitar solo!

Sorry to go so far off-topic - perhaps I should have started a new thread?

I have already the Mosaic set and all the Mercury box sets, but what I'm looking for are broadcats by Lionel Hampton from 1943 to 1945 when Miss Washingon sang in his various bands, plus broadcasts by Count Basie and Dizzy Gillespie in which she made some appearances.

Hi Claude

Regarding the Count Basie broadcasts, I guess you have Chris Sheridan's bio-discography of the Count, right?