Guy Berger

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to True Blue, this one's on its way out:

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - 'Paris Jam Session'

Anyone have an opinion of this one?

Great record! Especially as noted by others, the two cuts with Bud, "Dance of the Infidels" and, in particular, "Bouncing with Bud". Barney Wilen also plays very well in the front line with Lee and Wayne. I have this on an old Epic LP and a Fontana CD, not the cover indicated above.

One that's already OOP: the LEE KONITZ MEETS JIMMY GIUFFRE twofer put out by Verve in the mid-90's. I went lookin' for it, in a major Konitz mood lately, and found it's OOP. However, it was still available - not at Tower, not at CDNow, not on half.com - but at WALMART's online store of all places (came up on a Google search). So now it's on the way, but figured I'd share this source with anyone who's been lookin'...

One that's already OOP: the LEE KONITZ MEETS JIMMY GIUFFRE twofer put out by Verve in the mid-90's. I went lookin' for it, in a major Konitz mood lately, and found it's OOP. However, it was still available - not at Tower, not at CDNow, not on half.com - but at WALMART's online store of all places (came up on a Google search). So now it's on the way, but figured I'd share this source with anyone who's been lookin'...

I have an extra (SEALED), if anybody is interested. :rolleyes:

For Duke fanatics, this 2 disc set of 1941 radio broadcasts would be of interest. Haven't listened to them but given Duke and band's high standards, this should be a good one...

d56254h5r34.jpg

I haven´t picked this one yet! I´ve seen it´s available at worldsrecords.com for $20 (2 CD). Any other source?

Thanks for the tip, LAL!

LAL  Posted on Feb 17 2004, 08:22 AM

...and for Ornette fans who haven't picked this one up.

f32982sbej0.jpg

I've been holding out on picking up Ornette's LOVE CALL and NY IS NOW - although both are being deleted I HAVE to believe they will appear as either a two-fer in updated remastering, or maybe as RVG's, in the near future. Otherwise I'll be an unhappy puppy.

For Duke fanatics, this 2 disc set of 1941 radio broadcasts would be of interest. Haven't listened to them but given Duke and band's high standards, this should be a good one...

d56254h5r34.jpg

I haven´t picked this one yet! I´ve seen it´s available at worldsrecords.com for $20 (2 CD). Any other source?

Thanks for the tip, LAL!

EKE. Got it at Tower's recent sale but their website says it's no longer available. Ditto for amazon.com and B&N. Sorry can't help with alternative sites. You may want to grab that worldsrecords copy while it's still there.

Please, report on this one when you listen to it. How´s the sound? The only transcriptions I have from the Standard label (the Tatum released on Storyville), sound pretty good!

It's excellent. I've been listening to it a lot lately, as it contains two songs ("Bugle Breaks" and "Stomp Caprice") that were used in JUMP FOR JOY and not recorded for Victor. There are actually a number of tunes here that Duke didn't do for Victor, as well as the first-ever recorded version of "Take the A Train," in which Ray Nance's solo is still being developed, and a nice cover of Artie Shaw's "Frenesi." A fascinating document of the Blanton-Webster band; if you're into them at all, you should really try to snag it before it disappears.

Sound quality is very good on that Soundies disc of Ducal transcriptions. I'm willing to bet that it will show up again on cd before too long. All but one or two of these used to be on a Jass or another of the Stash labels cd before this release, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see it show up on Storyville or Circle after this release is gone. . . Blanton-Webster band stuff will surface!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this:

Dear Jazz Lover,

We regret to inform you that the following CD titles are being discontinued on May 1, 2004. If you have been contemplating any of these titles for your collection, we suggest that you purchase them now through your local retailer or the Blue Note Web Site at (http://www.bluenote.com/specials.asp). Until April 10, they are being offered at a special low price on the Blue Note Web Site and can be found clicking on the WEEKLY SPECIALS button. Track listings and other information about these recordings are also available on the site.

CDs

ART BLAKEY & THE JAZZ MESSENGERS Africaine (Connoisseur Series)

DON BYRON Romance With The Unseen

RON CARTER When Skies Are Grey

STAN GETZ & ALBERT DAILEY Poetry

THE JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT Xenoblast

RODNEY JONES Soul Manifesto

JACKIE McLEAN Nature Boy (with the Cedar Walton trio)

LONNIE PLAXICO Melange

JEAN LUC PONTY The Best Of The Pacific Jazz Years

ERIK TRUFFAZ Revisite

ERIK TRUFFAZ The Mask

SARAH VAUGHAN Sweet 'N' Sassy

DON WILKERSON Complete Blue Note Sessions (2 CDs) (Connoisseur Series)

VARIOUS Calle 54 (Deluxe 2-CD Limited Edition)

VARIOUS Roots Of Afro Cuban Jazz

LP

SOULIVE Clap! (12" single)

If you can not read this email, please go to http://www.bluenote.com where this information is posted.