LeBron to the Heat!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less than $1.5 million left to spend before going into luxury tax mode. Needless to say, they'll be looking for guys who are willing to play for less in order to win.

Not 100% sure about this, but I think teams can sign as many veteran players as they need for the league minimum and none of it counts against the cap.

If this was really about rings, and winning and legacy, LeBron goes to the Bulls. This Miami thing is just three attention junkies following through on some cockamamie plan they cooked up years ago by manipulating the length of their recently expired contracts. I would love to see this whole thing fall flat on its face when the Heat can't find enough role players to fill out their roster and make it work. This would serve to substantiate the fact that it's not about individuals, it's about the team. That's a lesson these three guys as well as the entire NBA could stand to learn.

Edited by Dave James

If this was really about rings, and winning and legacy, LeBron goes to the Bulls. This Miami thing is just three attention junkies following through on some cockamamie plan they cooked up years ago by manipulating the length of their recently expired contracts. I would love to see this whole thing fall flat on its face when the Heat can't find enough bench warmers to fill out their roster and make it work. It would serve to substantiate the fact that it's not about individuals, it's about the team. That's a lesson the NBA as a whole could stand to learn.

If he had gone to the Bulls, would you have a different take on the whole thing?

No clue how it might turn out, but I'm not sure how Boozer and Rose are a better option than Bosh and Wade.

Chicago's got better depth right now, but that's because Miami has virtually no one under contract (that's how they were able to get these three to begin with). But Miami's going to be able to sign some veterans for the league minimum (Shaq?), I'd imagine. All of a sudden, Chicago's "depth" won't seem that overwhelming, I'm guessing.

If he had gone to the Bulls, would you have a different take on the whole thing?

Yes, because it wouldn't have been so manipulative.

Also, I think you're right about signing guys for the league minimum in that is doesn't count against the cap.

Edited by Dave James

I gave up watching the NBA two years ago. I realized I was wasting a ton of time that could be better spent doing just about anything else, like a) playing with my kids, b) playing / writing music, or the most fun c) playing with my wife! excited.gif

I'll stick to the NCAA and MSU basketball. So glad Izzo saw what a shithole the NBA has become and stayed at MSU.

Well, after hearing talk on ESPN after their show(People give them crap, but I don't see how they could say no to it) and reading up on the web...LeBron seems like a real asshole. But I guess most elite athletes are these days....Hats off to the Cleveland owner for saying what that city felt.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/07/dan_gilbert_says_lebron_james.html

And Bill Simmons wrote a very long piece before the fact that is very interesting....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100708

Edited by BERIGAN

Major loss for the Cavs and Cleveland. Can't blame LeBron for leaving though. Oh well, isn't that the story of Cleveland sports anyway? dry.gif

Why can't you blame him? He's been the failure the last two years, not them.

Anyway, one more reason to root against the city of Miami.

Well, after hearing talk on ESPN after their show(People give them crap, but I don't see how they could say no to it) and reading up on the web...LeBron seems like a real asshole. But I guess most elite athletes are these days....Hats off to the Cleveland owner for saying what that city felt.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/07/dan_gilbert_says_lebron_james.html

And Bill Simmons wrote a very long piece before the fact that is very interesting....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100708

Yeah, I read Gilbert's letter too--it was linked in this NY Times piece:

A new low in James' race to the top

I turned the ESPN special on around 9 p.m. last night and then turned it off after three minutes, thinking, "Why am I watching this crap?" The man obviously has a right to go wherever he wants to go, but turning it into an hour-long "The Decision" ESPN special was a narcissistic joke.

Edited by ghost of miles

I like how Lebron says he "won" at every level.... He didn't play college basketball. He lost in the 2004 Olympics. (He later won in 2008)

He hasn't won the NBA finals.

Yet, he says he knows basketball history.

He's sounds like a kid. Always referring to his mom. He never mentioned his wife. Oh yeah, he isn't married, but has 2 kids. (third on the way)

Lebron and Wade will have fun in Miami. Wade just got divorced. I don't know about Bosh. (if he's married, etc)

He wants to play with his friends. The rest is BS. Sounds like he forgot about Boston. Will Lebron get an MVP while being a team member of the HEAT?

Not sure why the owner of the Cleveland Cavs makes a "personal" promise to win. I assume they were trying to win before. What are they going to do now? They cleaned house already. Getting rid of the GM and Coach.

Edited by Tjazz

It's stunning that he didn't at least make some sort of effort to get the Cavaliers some players in return, in a sign-and-trade or something. By all accounts the organization had catered to LeBron's every need and bent over backwards to make him comfortable, down to babysitting. The least he could have done is gotten Cleveland a marquee player or two in return.

Really poorly handled, all the way around.

I wonder if LeBron has any idea how badly he damaged his so-called "brand" last night?

I liked this quote: “His brand is [bleep] now,” one high-level NBA official said late Thursday. “He’s destroyed everything.”

Kobe's stock seems to be rising, as some articles are referring to him bailing out the Olympic team when Wade, LeBron & Bosh seemed lost. Durant comes out way ahead for being loyal and humble (and immensely talented too of course). :)

I wonder if LeBron has any idea how badly he damaged his so-called "brand" last night?

I liked this quote: “His brand is [bleep] now,” one high-level NBA official said late Thursday. “He’s destroyed everything.”

Well, winning changes almost everything. If the Three Muskateers can bring a ring or two for Miami then the sport-writers will be all at their feet again. And most people outside of Cleveland will eventually "get over" whatever it is, so long as they were entertained during the Finals.

Frankly, I am amazed at how personally people are taking this. I'd say 90% of all athletes are ridiculously pampered individuals who have (unjustly) been put on a pedestal by society and are basically just a bunch of man-childs (many of the women as well). From a game theory perspective, it is actually pretty interesting watching what happens when collusion is allowed on one side but only partially allowed on the other (trades must be worked on for some contracts, not others).

I'd say the Cavs and the Knicks are the biggest losers, NJ didn't seem to improve itself (maybe an opportunity cost there), the Bulls are marginally better and the Heat are heads and shoulders above the rest (simply speaking about free agency).

Kobe's stock seems to be rising, as some articles are referring to him bailing out the Olympic team when Wade, LeBron & Bosh seemed lost. Durant comes out way ahead for being loyal and humble (and immensely talented too of course). :)

Full article from which the "His brand is [bleep] now" line came. It has some pretty scathing words for Gilbert as well. Man, I'm going to sound very old-school saying this, but it sure makes me miss the MJ/Magic/Bird generation. None of those guys were saints, they all had egos too, but I don't recall them ever turning the promotion and selling of themselves into such a circus.

Edited by ghost of miles