Rega - P1 or Music Hall MMF 2.2

mjzee

I can give you a general opinion on Music Hall turntables; I have an MMF-5 purchased in 2003 that I'm not all that happy with. I've had to reinstall / fool with the wiring to get it to ground properly, and have had belt problems. I don't think it's nearly as nice as the Regas that some folks I know have, so when the Music Hall craps out I'll definitely go with another brand.

I have a Rega P1. It's a good turntable for the price, though I have to manually lower the tonearm because the lever stopped working. Other than that, it's well built. It's an honourable replacement for my old Pioneer, though it's no-frills and I'm not clear if you can play 45s on it.

If it's anything like the MMFs, you just have to switch the belt to the 45 setting.

What a pain !

I do not have any direct experience with MMFs or to be honest, the P1. Regardless, I wanted to add my $.02 to tell you that I have had a P3 for about five years once I decided that I wanted to go back and enjoy my vinyl and it has brought me countless hours of pleasure. While I have fought upgraditis several times, I still come back to the P3 and have no regrets. I think Rega makes an excellent, reliable product for each price point (though I can't speak for their new "high end" gear). There is a reason that Rega tables and the RB arms have been enjoyed by so many people over the years. Plus, and this is key for me, I don't have to spend countless hours "tweaking".

I have a Pro-Ject Debut ii and two Denons, a DP-300F and a DP-500M. All 3 have been fine but the Denon DP-500M is a great TT and I can give it a high recommendation. At the $300-400 price point, I would buy another DP-300F before I bought a Rega P1, an MMF 2.2 or another Pro-Ject. But what I'd recommend is paying a bit more and get the DP-500M.

If it's anything like the MMFs, you just have to switch the belt to the 45 setting.

What a pain !

I do not have any direct experience with MMFs or to be honest, the P1. Regardless, I wanted to add my $.02 to tell you that I have had a P3 for about five years once I decided that I wanted to go back and enjoy my vinyl and it has brought me countless hours of pleasure. While I have fought upgraditis several times, I still come back to the P3 and have no regrets. I think Rega makes an excellent, reliable product for each price point (though I can't speak for their new "high end" gear). There is a reason that Rega tables and the RB arms have been enjoyed by so many people over the years. Plus, and this is key for me, I don't have to spend countless hours "tweaking".

I really do love the look of the P3 in red.

I have a Music Hall that I bought about 7 years ago that I have enjoyed. it's the MMF-5 (I think that's the model number, I'm not at home or I'd look).

1) Changing to 45 is a total pain, because it requires removing the platter and adjusting the belt to the notch for 45 rpm. I never do this. Not a big deal as I don't listen to 45s, and i don't buy any of the new 45 rpm masterings. But if you do, I'd buy another table.

2) The tonearm lever lost all tension after a few years so I now lower it manually. This doesn't really bother me as it still raises off of the LP fine.

3) I have had no problems at all with the connection or grounding.

4) It came with a Goldring cartridge that I think was very good and a good value.

Overall, I've been very satisfied with it. I thought it was a good, don't-break-the-bank LP player.