Keynote label

romualdo

The LP box set is not quite complete.

From memory (for what it's worth), there was an alternate take from one of the Coleman Hawkins dates that was left off. I think it was issued earlier on a Queen Disc LP. I don't remember off hand if the missing alternate was included on the 4-CD Hawkins issue. If I have time later I'll try to figure that out.

Sorry Steve, I meant reissued on compact disc. Correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty sure that the LP set has it all.

The Coleman Hawkins title was an alternate of "Cattin' At Keynote" (Feb 17, 1944) - was on Meritt LP 25 & is not on the Hawkins 4CD set

The omitted Hawkins track was in fact the master take which had been issued on 78. The box (and the subsequent CD set) only contained the alternate, and Dan Morgenstern in his otherwise excellent notes denies the existence of a second take as listed in discographies.

Thanks for the info. I've enjoyed the 4-CD Complete Coleman Hawkins Keynote box for years, and didn't know about this missing take. This is when having a 78 rig helps - I just went on Ebay and found the Keynote 78 of "Cattin' at Keynote" for a good Buy It Now price. The seller also had a couple of Don Byas 78s I had been looking for.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

does anyone know if the Willie Smith session (May 2, 1945) has had a CD release

September In The Rain

You Ought To Be In Pictures

Moten Swing (2 takes)

Willie Weep for Me

There's very little of his material in circulation on the CD format

Recently picked up the double CD "Jazz Scene" (love the packaging/design) - contains 5 WS Quintet tracks

The Lord discography is missing tons of CD reissues unfortunately. Including high profile (?) stuff like Mosaic boxes, Blue Note reissues et cetera. Somebody hasn't been doing his job.

The Willie Smith session (minus the alternate) was reissued on the Ocium CD A Sound Of Distinction (OCM 0013) in 2001. It is a very useful CD that includes all of Willie Smith's leader sessions (except the 1965 LP). It also includes Juan Tizol'z 1946 Keynote session on which Smith was a sideman.

f36998b6u1x.jpg

The Lord discography is missing tons of CD reissues unfortunately. Including high profile (?) stuff like Mosaic boxes, Blue Note reissues et cetera. Somebody hasn't been doing his job.

The Lord discographies aren't that good. I sold all my copies.

(edit) I was talking about the books :)

The Willie Smith session (minus the alternate) was reissued on the Ocium CD A Sound Of Distinction (OCM 0013) in 2001. It is a very useful CD that includes all of Willie Smith's leader sessions (except the 1965 LP). It also includes Juan Tizol'z 1946 Keynote session on which Smith was a sideman.

f36998b6u1x.jpg

Ocium is one of those European labels that take advantage of the European 50-year copyright laws.

f36998b6u1x.jpg

Oops, forgot about that Ocium CD which I have :o

I'll be adding the information to the Lord Discography which is what I do when I find the discography is missing informations.

There is no way an enterprise of a jazz discography that deals with hundreds of thousands of items can be a hundred percent accurate.

From what I have seen, the Lord discography is the best tool of its kind available now.

Thanks for the info on the Ocium CD - That also contains the Juan Tizol Keynote titles (x3) - Willie Smith plays on those

"I'll be adding the information to the Lord Discography which is what I do when I find the discography is missing informations"

Brownie, are you suggesting that you can modify/manipulate the Lord Database? - I thought I read at some stage that this was possible but I have never been able to do this

I have version 8.0

Even thought it is full of errors, I still think is a very solid piece of work (actually a very daunting task) - I'm still happy to support the project

Does anyone have a list of the volumes included in the Essential Keynote Collection?

That was my initial question when I started this thread - from my research, it appears there were 10 volumes, all single CD's except for the Coleman Hawkins set which was 4

Vol. 1 - Lester Young

Vol. 2 - Lennie Tristano

Vol. 4 - Roy Eldridge & The Swing Trumpets

Vol. 6 - Coleman Hawkins (4CD)

Vol. 7 - Benny Carter

Vol. 9 - The Keynoters (Nat Cole)

Vol. 10 - Small Herds (Harris, Jackson)

Not sure of the order of the following 3 (either 3, 5 or 8)

Red Rodney - early Bebop

The Fabulous Ellingtonians

Red Norvo - Improvisations On Keynote

Vol.1 - Lester Young

Vol.2 - Lennie Tristano

Vol.3 - Red Rodney and others - Early Bebop

Vol.4 - Roy Eldridge & The Swing Trumpets (2CD)

Vol.5 - The Fabulous Ellingtonians

Vol.6 - Coleman Hawkins (4CD)

Vol.7 - Benny Carter

Vol.8 - Red Norvo - Improvisations

Vol.9 - The Keynoters (Nat Cole)

Vol.10 - Small Herds (Harris, Jackson)

Brownie, are you suggesting that you can modify/manipulate the Lord Database? - I thought I read at some stage that this was possible but I have never been able to do this

I have version 8.0

I would not think of manipulating the Lord Database.

I just email whatever correction or addition I think is needed at this adress. If it's validated, it goes online a bit later...

I got a used "like-new" copy of THE FABULOUS ELLINGTONIANS after perusing this thread several days ago and am listening to it now. Great music for anybody who enjoys the Ellington small-group dates of the late 1930s; these sides date from the mid-1940s. Interesting side note: the first two sessions (Rex Stewart's Big Eight from June 5, 1944 and Billy Taylor's Big Eight from August 1, 1944) were, according to Dan Morgenstern's liner notes, originally recorded for the H.R.S. label, but ultimately leased to Keynote. For those who have the H.R.S. Mosaic box, there's no overlap--they were not included with that set, presumably since they were put out as Keynotes. Also, according to Morgenstern's liners, the Juan Tizol session on this CD was his only one as a leader.

The Barney Bigard session on Keynote (which is on the aforementioned cd) is one of his most satisfying post-Ellington sessions as well.

I got a used "like-new" copy of THE FABULOUS ELLINGTONIANS after perusing this thread several days ago and am listening to it now. Great music for anybody who enjoys the Ellington small-group dates of the late 1930s; these sides date from the mid-1940s. Interesting side note: the first two sessions (Rex Stewart's Big Eight from June 5, 1944 and Billy Taylor's Big Eight from August 1, 1944) were, according to Dan Morgenstern's liner notes, originally recorded for the H.R.S. label, but ultimately leased to Keynote. For those who have the H.R.S. Mosaic box, there's no overlap--they were not included with that set, presumably since they were put out as Keynotes. Also, according to Morgenstern's liners, the Juan Tizol session on this CD was his only one as a leader.

this "early bebop" is essential. great recordings with dave lambert and dave stewart. (but that´s what the serie is called: "essential keynote collection".

keep boppin´

marcel

A series can be called "Essential" and be filled with crap, but in this instance I agree, the 10 volumes are great. Listened to Early Bebop earlier today and liked it very much, with the exception of the two vocals by Neal Hefti's wife, Frances Wayne.

Just got a not-too-expensive "as new" copy of the last Keynote CD I was looking for, Early Bebop with Red Rodney, Neal Hefti and others. Looking forward to hearing it :)

Lucky you - where did you find that?

this is one CD high on my wants list but it always seems to be highly priced (actually have an Australian 10" Mercury LP "Young At Bop" - contains 8 titles on the CD)

Have only seen it on Amazon (US, UK, France & Germany)

Also, still looking for The Ellingtonians, Roy Eldridge, Red Norvo & The Keynoters (Nat Cole) - probably the harder ones to find

Just got a not-too-expensive "as new" copy of the last Keynote CD I was looking for, Early Bebop with Red Rodney, Neal Hefti and others. Looking forward to hearing it :)

this is one CD high on my wants list but it always seems to be highly priced (actually have an Australian 10" Mercury LP "Young At Bop" - contains 8 titles on the CD)

Also, still looking for The Ellingtonians, Roy Eldridge, Red Norvo & The Keynoters (Nat Cole) - probably the harder ones to find

I got my Early Bebop from a seller on Amazon Germany, who had just listed it for a very reasonable price. In the last few years I was lucky enough to find all the Keynote CDs I didn't already have, for prices that varied from low to reasonable. I now have all 10 titles in this series; the only thing that's still missing is the front insert of the Benny Carter CD.

I got my Early Bebop from a seller on Amazon Germany, who had just listed it for a very reasonable price. In the last few years I was lucky enough to find all the Keynote CDs I didn't already have, for prices that varied from low to reasonable. I now have all 10 titles in this series; the only thing that's still missing is the front insert of the Benny Carter CD.

Last week I picked up a still sealed copy of the Benny Carter CD from Amazon UK for 3.79 pounds

Amazon UK has a used copy at present for 1.99 pounds - too much for the front insert??

Unless you eally are totally dead set on the CD format, try searching for the two 70s Mercury (UK) LPs SWWL 21028 ("Bebop") and SWWL 21038 ("The Herdsmen"). They have all the essentials (read: master takes, minus the two Frances Wayne vocals) from this CD plus quite a bit more.

Unless you eally are totally dead set on the CD format, try searching for the two 70s Mercury (UK) LPs SWWL 21028 ("Bebop") and SWWL 21038 ("The Herdsmen"). They have all the essentials (read: master takes, minus the two Frances Wayne vocals) from this CD plus quite a bit more.

Thanks for that info but I am really after the CD's