Least Favorite Mosaic

vibes

Inspired by undergroundagent's "Favorite Mosaic" thread, here's the "Least Favorite Mosaic" thread. I think many of us buy Mosaic sets that contain music we've never heard before, and since the Mosaic site often doesn't have sound clips for you to listen to, sometimes buying a Mosaic can be a gamble. So, which sets have disappointed you or do you dislike, and why?

For me, two sets immediately come to mind: The Bud Shank and the Peggy Lee/June Christy sets. The Shank set just hasn't captured my interest that much. I should probably spend more time with it, but what I've heard so far hasn't really done that much for me. The Lee/Christy set was a definite gamble. I'm not big on vocals and had never heard either Lee or Christy before buying the set, but since it was only $50, I figured it was worth a try. I've only listened to the first couple of discs, but again, what I've heard hasn't done much for me. I've never sold a Mosaic before (unless it was a duplicate), but this one would be at the top of the list of box sets to get rid of.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vibes, I LOVe those 2 CDs you don't for!!!

For me it's the Jimmy Smith set. Didn't do nothing for me. There are many better recordings by Jimmy smith out there (and in my collection). This made the set IMO - a complete waste of money.

There are sets that I KNOW I won't like so I don't bother buying, such as the Four Freshmen and Bobby Hackett sets.

Edited by White Lightning

Probably the Illinois Jacquet, which is still quite good in small doses but just not at the top of my list (despite my abiding love of Jacquet's ballad artistry).

I was also disappointed by the Bud Shank set...it has its moments, but overall I don't return to it much. Also, I find the hype about this music somehow debunking the West Coast stereotypes to be, well, hype - this stuff sounds quintessentially West Coast to me, which is not a bad or good thing but I do feel has to be acknowledged.

FWIW, I love the June Christy/Peggy Lee set!

I'm not that wild about the Woody Herman set, especially some of the later sessions, which I was actually listening to last night, principally Woody's singing. Also some of the arrangements are actually pretty boring. The best thing on these later sessions, btw, but you don't get enough of them are Richie Kamuca and Vince Guaraldi.

I know this is heresy with many people but the Jimmy Giuffre set just doesn't it do it for me. In fact, I'm thinking about getting rid of it.

Also, Illinois in small doses is definitely a better way to go.

I knew a lot of people weren't wild about the Joe Pass but I kind of liked it.

I was also disappointed by the Bud Shank set...it has its moments, but overall I don't return to it much. Also, I find the hype about this music somehow debunking the West Coast stereotypes to be, well, hype - this stuff sounds quintessentially West Coast to me, which is not a bad or good thing but I do feel has to be acknowledged.

I have just been listening again to the first three discs of the Shank set and I would have to agree with this. I was more enthusiastic about this set when I first got it. (Discs 4&5, with Carmell Jones on a couple of the sessions are better and I'm looking forward to digging in to them). The music on the first three 3 discs is OK but Shank was not yet the fiery player he later became (but he certainly takes a big step forward on the "New Groove" session). It probably didn't help that I was listening to the Phil Woods set just before the Shank (though these days, Shank is probably just as good an altoist as Woods).

OTOH, I really like the Giuffre set, except for the session with the overdubbed saxes which I think has mediocre sound. Brad, don't give up on this set too soon. Give it another try, esp. the sessions with Jack Sheldon, and the trio with Brookmeyer and Hall.

Also, the first two discs of the Serge Chaloff set are difficult to listen to because of the sound. Probably they did they best remastering they could but the original tapes/masters must have been in very bad shape.

I don't regret buying any Mosaic set really, but the problem is that you get it "all", meaning everything from great to mediocre. Thankfully, the stuff on most of the sets I have is at least good or better.

I’m consistently surprised at the negative criticism given to the Bud Shank box. To me, Shank swings with the best on his alto sax, tenor sax, baritone sax, flute, (even a penny whistle!). Where else can you hear A Night In Tunisia played on a flute? You know?

I live in Tucson, Arizona. It’s not quite the West Coast but very, very close. I was driving home in my car one evening when I inserted the Shank (disk #3) into my car’s CD player. I had the thought, “Damn, this is nearly perfect. The sun going down, the shadows of the palm trees in the foreground with the sun and the mountains in the background, the warm air, Bud Shank playing on my car stereo.” Maybe you have to live in this part of the USA and experience the climate, to fully appreciate this music? I don’t know. When it’s 108 degrees in Tucson, a cold cerveza and the Bud Shank box make the warm evenings ever so much more pleasant.

I lean toward Blue Note and the East Coast sound. However, there is something about the Shank set that continues to intrigue me. The music is light, lyrical, deep, shallow, well-played, elegant, easy, complex… mostly very warm, genuine, and comforting.

Is this my favorite Mosaic set? No. Does this set break the West Coast mold as advertised by Mosaic? No. Is it excellent West Coast jazz? Ohhhhh, yes.

There are several musicians mixed through the set including Bud Shank on various wind instruments, Claude Williamson on the piano, Carmell Jones on the trumpet, Gary Peacock on the bass, Chuck Flores & Shelly Manne on the drums, even some great guitar playing from Dennis Budimir.

Not a great set? Get the freak outta here. Go! This is excellent music from Pacific Jazz. I recommend it highly (whoops, but you can't buy this one anymore).

Edited by wesbed

Yeah, the Freshman. . . forgot about that set. . . it doesn't get played much. Don't dislike most of it, just don't play it much. . . .

I LOVE the Shank set. It is both consummate West Coast, and it is not as well, to me. . . . Either way I think Shank is one of the best altoists period from this point on. . . he's still going at it!

Your comments about the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Big Band set give me some kind of relief. I have one Solid State LP, the Blue Note Consummation CD, just got the that great live recording made in Basle in 1969 by Swiss radio - the latter seems so much better to me due to its spontaneity. What I had heard didn't inspire me to buy the set, somehow, although they were such a great band. Strange, isn't ist?

Didn't buy the Jacquet either after having the Aladdin and RCA stuff. I like Cobb better, in the long run.

Of the ones I have, the Woody Shaw - I got one of the last five - was not a disppointment, it was like I expected it to be. Some of the writing on the Woody III is magnificent, but I do not like the sound of those Columbia records of that time. The only one I think I should sell.

Seems you're all Mosaic subscribers?!?!?!? :o

Edited by mikeweil

Re: the Woody Shaw set, that one's probably in my bottom five. I've always had trouble getting into this one. I don't know if it's the production or when it was recorded or what, but I just can't connect with the music.

I bought the Jacquet right before it went OOP, and have only listened to a couple of discs so far. I don't see myself coming back to it that often, but it's actually better than I thought it would be.

I bought none which disappointed me so far.

I love the Shank, and agree very much with wesbed's comments (though I'm as far from texas as you can get...) :tup

I had similar feelings as have been expressed with the Jones/Lewis, however, as I did not know any of the music contained therein before, the quality of discs 1-3 blew me enough to put this on my favorite Mosaic list. Mike, that Basle disc's a stunner, no? I LOVE it! Joe Henderson really breakes loose on the first track!

I like the Giuffre very much. The trio sides, the second of the Capitol LPs... so much great music there!

I would, however, not get the Freshmen or the Hackett sets... I guess I really don't need these.

ubu

Among my Mosaics, there are a handful that don't move the needle. Those would include the Jacquet (too much honkin' R&B), the Shank (it may be possible to be too laid back musically and it is definitely possible to play too much flute), the Kenton Presents (I just find that one boring), the Mildred Bailey (as hard as I try, I can't seem to get into her little girl voice), the Berigan (my word, some of the songs on the first few discs are so corny and sung so poorly, I'm too overwhelmed to enjoy Berigan's trumpet), the Jimmy Smith (I think I was just expecting a lot more than this one was able to deliver) and last but not least - drum roll please - the Ellington Capitol (it simply pales in comparison to his '40's material and, trumpet- wise, there's too many examples of Ferguson-esque excess). While there is some excellent music on all of these sets, I think if I had to do it over again, I might have passed them by.

Up over and out.

Well for me:

Ellington Capitol: I like the Duke but some of those sides really grated on me so I sold it.

Sarah Vaughan: Unlike the other female vocal sets, I couldn't get into it....I really can't explain why....so I sold it.

Sam Rivers: (incoming!!!!)......I'm not a big "see how many notes/second I can play" kind of person.....first listen didn't do much for me...same for second listen.....I still have it but would sell it (or trade it).

Teddy Wilson: it's nice but it all sounds the same.......I will sell this...

Most of my Mosaics are the big band/older jazz/tradition/swing/dixieland/vocal ones.......

I would *Love* the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis set!!

I guess the lowest on the list from my shelves is still the Mobley. Don't get me wrong, I like it. I guess I just have good luck; I've yet to pick up a Mosaic set that was a :angry: , :( , or even a :huh: . They've all been at least :) and several have been :excited: . But enough of that. :g

(Don't have all that much time to post tonight, and I had to use up my smilie quota for the day fast!)