Least Favorite Mosaic

vibes

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been fond of the Mingus Candid set. It just leaves me cold.

The Mingus Candid recordings couldn't be hotter--What Love, All the Things You Could be By Now..., Folk Forms No. 1, Lock Em Up, MDM--some of my favorite music of all time.

On the other hand, I wore out from all the Dixieland at some point in volume 3 of the Commodore Recordings.

And as a Bird fanatic, nonetheless I can't take the snippets from the Dean Benedetti recordings.

For me, the biggest disappointments have been the Elvin Jones & Jazz Piano Mood Sessions, in fact, I sold both of them. Why, oh why, is there a conga player with Jones :( ??? Just a major distraction, though I loved the trio sessions. Also, I didn't think too much of some of the slick production for some of the dates. Jazz Piano Mood Sessions is music to go to sleep by, I was just bored by the whole thing.

Needless to say, I strongly disagree with those who don't enjoy the Jimmy Smith Mosaic :P . These are some of the most important, influencial dates ever. They set the course for a whole jazz genre; if Smith had failed in these sessions, organ jazz & the whole "Soul Jazz' thing might have never happened.

Okay, I'll bite...which one on my shelves would you guys rank lower? (Okay, I think I know which one you would say, Chuck...) :g

I dunno, what else ya got?

Oh and BTW, the Hank is the only Mosaic I have (except for the Selects, which I dont know if hwe are counting here or not).

The Smith boys (Jimmy and Johnny) are currently my least favorites. Jimmy, I think, because of high expectations. Johnny might require more listening but its probably the weekest of the guitar sets(Green and Pass). Maybe too much technique and too little swinging. Besides the sessions with horns most of the other sessions are sort of interchangeable. Maybe if I were a musician I would appreciate this set.

There are a few clinkers on the Woody Herman that disrupts my listening pleasure either because of the vocals or novelty. Actually grating may be more appropriate. One of the few Mosaics in which I carefully choose which cd I play.

Needless to say these aren't complete washouts, still some fine music on all the above.

I guess the lowest on the list from my shelves is still the Mobley

Moose, you know I love ya, but you be a friggin' idiot! :(

C'mon, guys, Moose has GOT to be kidding! Obviously. ....Right, Moose?

Don't worry Moose, as usual, I got your back! ;)

Let's see what Moosey-Moose said....."I guess the lowest on the list from my shelves is still the Mobley. Don't get me wrong, I like it. I guess I just have good luck; I've yet to pick up a Mosaic set that was a :angry: , :( , or even a :huh: . They've all been at least :) and several have been :excited: . ..

He said they have all been at least a :) That means good! it is the lowest on a high list :P. Glad to have been of service!

Edited by BERIGAN

Thanks, Berigan!

By the way, Jazzdog, I see it's the worst one on your shelf as well! After all, if it's the only one you've got, it pretty much has to be the worst, right? And if you don't know which other ones I've got, how do you know you wouldn't agree? (Okay, if you think it's the best set Mosaic ever produced, I guess you'd think I'm nuts no matter what else I've got.)

As far as what others I've got, let's see...

Woody Shaw (beats the Mobley for me ONLY because it's the only Shaw I have, and I've got plenty of Hank's stuff.)

Phil Woods (which is the one I assume Chuck would put lower)

Lee Morgan

Curtis Fuller

Capitol Jazz

Thad Jones

New Orleans Jazz

Hank Mobley

Anita O'Day (if you'd put this one lower I do not want to hear about it! :angry: )

Ellington Reprise

Teagarden Roulette

Mulligan Jazz Concert Band

As I've said, I like them all, but if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to pick one to give up, it would probably be the Hank...

It's interesting to find out how different the likes/dislikes are. As for me, I LOVE the Shank and Jones/Lewis, and Mobley and LIKE the Jacquet. The Woody Herman has some great tracks-but too many crummy vocals so I burned 4 discs worth & sold mine (for $8 more than I paid!!!). Likewise for the Shaw (only the first lp appealed to me). I definitely won't get the Frosh, Berrigan, and Hackett sets and probably would pass on the Smith. But I'll never part with the Shank (it sounds just as great in Phoenix with a cold brew as it does in Tuscon). B)

• 2 months later...

As far as what others I've got, let's see...

Woody Shaw (beats the Mobley for me ONLY because it's the only Shaw I have, and I've got plenty of Hank's stuff.)

Phil Woods (which is the one I assume Chuck would put lower)

Lee Morgan

Curtis Fuller

Capitol Jazz

Thad Jones

New Orleans Jazz

Hank Mobley

Anita O'Day (if you'd put this one lower I do not want to hear about it! )

Ellington Reprise

Teagarden Roulette

Mulligan Jazz Concert Band

As I've said, I like them all, but if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to pick one to give up, it would probably be the Hank...

Jazzmoose:

I quoted your text (above). If I took it out of context it was not my intention.

Anyway, I hate to pass on a good Mosaic box. If I don't purchase it from Mosaic, I'll never purchase it, period.

If I read this thread (and your text) correctly, and if I remember correctly... When you first received the New Orleans Jazz Mosaic, you didn't have much good to say about it. Recently, you've said it is a good box and one worth having (I don't have a direct link to your words nor do I mean to hold them against you).

What did you not like about the New Orleans box initially? What happened that you came to enjoy/appreciate the music? What is the music comparable to? Is it comparable to Hot Jazz (like Bix)? Is it comparable to the tunes on the HRS Mosaic box? What's the deal with the music that is listed as Funeral March music (or something like that)? Is the sound quality good (it's a Malcolm Addey remaster, by the way)?

Mosaic sets have stretched my jazz knowledge further than I thought it could ever be stretched. I enjoyed the HRS box (very much!), the Django box, and the Bix/Tram box (the Bix/Tram mostly for its history). I enjoyed learning the history of the music and the time period. I need to make a decision on the New Orleans box before it goes OOP. Even if the music is not my absolute favorite, I'm thinking I'd appreciate the New Orleans box for the history it offers. And, I'm remembering you said you'd genuinely come to enjoy the box (again, my memory could be a little distorted).

Edited by wesbed

What did you not like about the New Orleans box initially? What happened that you came to enjoy/appreciate the music?

These two questions are very easy to answer. The answer to the first question is "disc one" (the funeral march music). The answer to the second is "I skipped disc one".

I haven't gone back to the first CD yet give it another chance, although I've listened to the other three numerous times. The first one just left me cold. Seemed stiff and unengaging. The rest of the set is just great stuff. As for what to compare it to, I don't know. Is it hot jazz like Bix? Well, it's hot jazz, but I never thought of Bix as hot jazz, so we're probably using the term differently. Unfortunately, I can't compare it to the HRS set as I don't have it yet, but from the looks of the catalog write up, probably. I guess it reminds me of dixieland revival stuff except by people who "get it" as a living art rather than a museum piece, if that makes sense. Like you, I really enjoy checking out the history of the genre, and this set opened the door on an area that I've really neglected.

There is one date that you should always keep in mind when asking my opinion on jazz: January 1999. That was the point when I ceased to be a "dabbler" (with probably fifteen or less jazz CDs/LPs) and fell into the abyss. In other words, I haven't been into jazz that long, and taking anything I say as an "expert opinion" would be like asking the gang on our political forum who's going to win the next election: you'll get a lot of longwinded opinion, but whether it's worth anything or not is anybody's guess... ;)

There is one date that you should always keep in mind when asking my opinion on jazz:  January 1999.  That was the point when I ceased to be a "dabbler" (with probably fifteen or less jazz CDs/LPs) and fell into the abyss.  In other words, I haven't been into jazz that long, and taking anything I say as an "expert opinion" would be like asking the gang on our political forum who's going to win the next election:  you'll get a lot of longwinded opinion, but whether it's worth anything or not is anybody's guess...

What the hell? I've been past the 'dabbler' stage longer than another person on this board? Feh! I quit being a jazz dabbler circa 1987. B)

Thanks for your honest opinion. I suppose I didn't care whether you could offer an expert opinion. As long as you could offer a jazz apreciator's opinion. Also, upon reading this thread, I was reminded that you'd not liked the New Orleans box initially but then grew to like it more as time progressed. I'm afraid I might not like the New Orleans box at first, either, but would grow to like it the more I would listen to it. Jazz can be that way sometimes... you don't enjoy a certain piece at first but then come to really like it later.

Also, my post and your post might spark some more opinions before the box runs its course on the Mosaic web site. More opinions that will guide me to purchase or forget the set.

Currently I'm leaning toward purchasing the Tristano/Konitz box and was thinking of simply saying, what the hell, and having Mosaic add the New Orleans box to my order too. I'm reminded of the line in the movie, Risky Business, where one of the characters said, "Sometimes you just gotta say... what the fuck."

Edited by wesbed

I've never had a least favorite Mosaic until the past Christmas, the Gerald Wilson set. I dig a great deal of it, but the sets with the pop tune covers I could not stand. Those types of tunes never work with big band arrangements, IMO. So, when I break this one out again I will definitely be skipping a couple of discs.

I've never had a least favorite Mosaic until the past Christmas, the Gerald Wilson set. I dig a great deal of it, but the sets with the pop tune covers I could not stand. Those types of tunes never work with big band arrangements, IMO. So, when I break this one out again I will definitely be skipping a couple of discs.

I agree, mostly, with Dan.

I like the Gerald Wilson very much. The covers of the 1960s-era pop tunes are less than fantastic. The remainder of the set, however, is quite good.

I have to keep in mind that Mosaic offers complete sets. I'm glad to know I have the complete Pacific Jazz collection even though I don't enjoy all of it.

The 'cover' songs make me wonder if Pacific Jazz was attempting to increase jazz album sales back in the day and asked Mr. Wilson to record some popular songs. Anybody know?

The 'cover' songs make me wonder if Pacific Jazz was attempting to increase jazz album sales back in the day and asked Mr. Wilson to record some popular songs. Anybody know?

ALL the big bands were doing it.

Thanks Jim.

This is good information. Since receiving my Gerald Wilson Mosaic, I've always assumed this was a specific attempt to sell more records for Pacific Jazz. It kinda ticked me off. However, I realized I was getting the complete set from Mosaic. I'm glad to know Wilson/Pacific Jazz were following a trend of the times, whether I enjoy the cover tunes or not.

Edited by wesbed