FREE (or cheap) software to edit audio tracks

Rooster_Ties

I know, I probably could have posted this elsewhere on the board, but I'm asking specifically because I want to edit a couple of the tracks that I want to include in the Blindfold Test I'm putting together. You know, sometimes tracks are just to damn long to include, but the music has some logical break in it that would allow for a clean edit, without making the track feel at all incomplete.

Plus, I've got one or two non-commercial tracks I want to include, and I need to edit out a good 30 seconds of crowd noise at the end of the track, and some introductions at the beginning that would give away what it is. Having a "fade-out" at the end of the track would be nicer too, instead of a hard edit.

I'm sure there are some Freeware programs, or bare-bones "trial versions" of some meatier software, that would do the kind of VERY basic editing that I'm needing to do.

For what it's worth, I used Adaptec Easy CD Creator, Version 4.02d_D5 (copyright 1995-1999) to burn CD's, mostly cuz it's the software that came free with my PC when I bought it (a Dell), early in the year 2000. Actually, I think I've seem that the Adaptec Easy CD Creator software can do this kind of simple editing, but I've never been able to find the right options to get it to work. Maybe they have a more feature-rich version (that I don't have) that does this. (It's been a while since I've looked into it, but I remember not being able to figure out how to do editing when I last tried, about a year ago. I'll check into it this weekend, and try again.)

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I just extracted a CD track to a .wav file for the very first time, thinking that I would probably need to manipulate the .wav file if I wanted to edit it (something that probably can't be done to the CD track directly).

I see an option in one of the drop-down menus that says "Split Track", but it's always grayed out - so I can never seem to use it. The 'on-line help' for Easy CD Creator says...

Splitting Composite Tracks

A composite track is a single track that is made up of two or more separate tracks.

To separate a composite track:

Select the composite track you want to separate.

From the Tracks menu, select Split Tracks. The composite track appears as multiple tracks in the Audio CD Layout.

So, then, perhaps "splitting a track" can only be done on a 'composite' track??? :huh: - and I guess maybe that's some special thing, that extracting a CD track into a .wav file isn't. (Actually, the fact that "split track" is continually grayed out, is what made me think that it was an option that was only available in some content-richer version of Easy CD Creator.)

Boy, I guess I'm what you call "really green" when it comes to this kind of stuff. All I've ever done before is burn full-copies of CD's, or made Mix-CD's, feeding the CD ROM drive with disc, after disc, after disc (meaning I've never downloaded the tracks onto my hard drive before), let along done any editing.

Thanks for any help, and especially for your patience in helping me. Much appreciated!!!! :)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

OK, the on-line help says something about taking the option "Edit audio file", which is described as "Opens the Sound Editor so you can edit the selected WAV file."

Except, of course, I can find no "Edit audio file" command in any of the pull-down menus...

Of course, there is an "Upgrade to Easy CD Creator Deluxe!!" menu option, further suggesting to me that I can't really do the audio-edit thing with this version of the software.

Yeah, the on-line help shows an "Edit Audio" button being on the tool-bar, to get an an audio-editor, but my version of the software has no such button. I think they want me to buy their upgrade to really be able to do anything.

Before I do, I really don't want to spend very much money on this --- and I'm half-convinced that there's probably plenty of free-ware to do what I need.

And that's where YOU come in. Lead the way!!!!!! :)

Thanks!!!!!!!!!! :g

Dan Gould turned me onto to Goldwave a bit back. You can download a fully functional (or at least you could when I first tried it) trial version for free from their website. It does allow easy edits for length and fade-ins and outs. It is also pretty handy for pop and click removal (although I almost never de-click an entire track, just remove the obvious clicks). I was pleased enough that I bought it. Go to Goldwave.com for more.

Edited by Tom in RI