Tour de France 2010

I love watching the TV coverage of the Tour de France.

Even when nothing much happens during the daily stages, I get kicks out of the various countryscapes that get special treatment from the numerous cameramen on motorbikes and helicopters.

This year's Tour has been pretty eventful so far. The competition will get even fiercer from Sunday on when the riders get to the Pyrénées mountains (with two climbs up the Col du Tourmalet this year!).

Spain's Alberto Contador (the 2009 winner) proved today he is the top man so far when he managed to cut off ten seconds from yellow jersey's Andy Schleck's lead by attacking him three kilometers away from the finish line of the twelfth stage.

Contador's attack was brutal in its swiftness. He has very strong chances of winning the Tour again at the finish line on the Champs-Elysées avenue next July 25.

Looks like nobody can beat him again this year!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right - this has been a very exciting tour and I've been following, as best I can, from the US. Cadel Evans has long been a favorite of mine (even in his mountain biking days) and it was sad to see him blow up and wreck his elbow. Although he wasn't a match for Contador and Schleck, it would have been nice to see him hold onto the yellow for a few more stages.

I also enjoy watching for the scenery with my Michelin map in hand. Having just been through the Pyrénées last May, I'm looking forward to revisiting these roads - coincidentally I drove nearly the exact route the Tour will take Monday and Tuesday, from St. Girons to Bagneres to Pau.

P5170056.jpg

From St. Girons to Bagneres-de-Luchon

P5170061.jpg

From Bagneres to Arreau

P5190095.jpg

P5220119.jpg

From Argeles-Gazost to Col du Soulor

P5220120.jpg

Col du Soulor

P5220131.jpg

Col d'Aubisque

Michael, looks like you had a great time in the Pyrénées but I am disappointed you did not try to emulate Eddy Merckx in the Tourmalet

000_arp1238422_600.jpg

P.L.M. wrote

all on dope and happy to be

We all know many riders - but fortunately not all - need some sort of help.

And things are not going any better since Marie-Odile Amaury who has been heading the Tour de France organizing body for the past four years has taken strong decisions to make sure the doping scandals are kept hushed and lets the controversial International Cycling Union (UCI) take care of the anti-doping testings on the Tour this year over the much more independent AFLD (Agence française de Lutte Anti-dopage).

That won't prevent me from enjoying the next stages! No help needed this end!

Michael, looks like you had a great time in the Pyrénées but I am disappointed you did not try to emulate Eddy Merckx in the Tourmalet

000_arp1238422_600.jpg

With no discernible signs or road blocks indicating it was still closed, we foolishly continued the climb up the Col de Tourmalet. We became suspicious as the snow covered more and more of the road. By then, turning around was no easy task. Eddy Merckx would have known better.

So Contador took over the Tour lead in stage 15! A breathtaking race once more.

Some commentators think Contador's yellow jersey is slightly soiled because he did not stop when the then leader Andy Schleck's bike chain fell off in the final climb and went on to the finish line without waiting for Schleck.

Schleck who is now eight seconds behind Contador in the overall standings is out to claim revenge.

The next Pyrenean stages will be really worth watching!

Edited by brownie

Some commentators think Contador's yellow jersey is slightly soiled because he did not stop when the then leader Andy Schleck's bike chain fell off in the final climb and went on to the finish line without waiting for Schleck.

Tricky one. I don't know how he lost his chain. Losing your chain will usually be a technical error, right? so it's not so clear cut.

With no discernible signs or road blocks indicating it was still closed, we foolishly continued the climb up the Col de Tourmalet. We became suspicious as the snow covered more and more of the road. By then, turning around was no easy task. Eddy Merckx would have known better.

Just out of interest, were you biking or driving?

Edited by David Ayers

Tricky one. I don't know how he lost his chain. Losing your chain will usually be a technical error, right? so it's not so clear cut.

Losing his chain was his own fault. And it took lots of seconds to fix the chain. It was his problem. Schleck has only himself to blame!

No reason for Contador not to go ahead!

Schleck is a good rider. He will have plenty of opportunities to prove his worth!

In the past, the rider in the yellow jersey (especially when he's clearly holding onto it) was not to be taken advantage of in the event of a crash or mechanical. If he blew up, that was another story. I think it shows bad sportsmanship on Contador's part to attack while Schleck was having a mechanical (not really the rider's fault - that's what mechanics are for). I have not watched today, but the 8 second deficit could be made up in the Pyrenees. If it were time trials, I wouldn't be so sure - don't think Schleck has it in the TTs.

Contador has issued an apology to Schleck for his actions, while at the same time the consensus seems to be moving on from the incident. Good sportsmanship from all on this front, and Lance also turned in a fine stage today. This race has been rather exciting - something which was missing over the last decade.

Stage 17 was another thriller with Contador and Schleck trying to outdo each other. The last ten kilometers climb to the finish line at the Col du Tourmalet in deep fog had the two riders running wheel to wheel.

Schleck who was the first to the finish line (with Contador right next to him) is still eight seconds behind.

Today's stage should be a quiet ride through familiar - to me - southwest France landscapes.

Will be watching this as well as tomorrow's run against the clock through the Pauillac vineyards (will take a good look at the Chateau-Lafite, Mouton-Rothschild, Chateau Latour estates) before Sunday's final stage to Paris.