A Jazz Colossus Steps Out

With characteristic self-deprecation saxophonist and composer Jimmy Heath titled his autobiography "I Walked with Giants." In the book, whose publication earlier this year he's celebrating with a concert Wednesday night at the 92nd Street Y, Mr. Heath talks about his experiences with colleagues such as John Coltrane, Miles Davis and Dizzy Gillespie.

Yet in terms of his musical stature—Mr. Davis once described him as "one of the thoroughbreds" and he was named an NEA Jazz Master in 2003—the only thing that prevents Mr. Heath himself from being classified as a "giant" is his physical size. Sixty years ago he was nicknamed "Little Bird" for both his diminutive height and his love for Charlie Parker's music. In every other way Mr. Heath is a colossus. Many of the leading figures of the last half century have had their own special Jimmy Heath tune. For Mr. Davis it was "Gingerbread Boy," Chet Baker played "C. T. A." at dozens of concerts and Cannonball Adderley made the distinctive waltz "Gemini" into a jazz standard.

In a recent telephone interview Mr. Heath, 83, denied that his music is completely unique. "I just came back from playing with Benny Golson [his fellow Philadelphian and early bebop veteran], and he does the same thing I do, and so do the others, like Maria Schneider, Gil Evans, Charles Mingus. We're all trying to write swinging music with a modern feeling."

More here:

WSJ