organissimo: 2000 - 2010

All things must come to an end; the old cliche is certainly true. I want to thank everyone for their support all these years. We had a good run. I do wish we had achieved more success and recognition. I don't think we were fully appreciated by the jazz press in general. But that's probably due to geography more than anything.

As most of you know, in March I accepted an offer to become the keyboardist in blues singer Janiva Magness' touring band (and will probably record with her as well). The original goal was to put organissimo on hiatus and reconvene in the late fall / early winter to write and record another album. We'd do gigs as we could here and there. To say it has been a struggle the last few years would be an understatement. We spent tens of thousands of dollars of our own money on CDs and the promotion of those CDs. As my family grew and my responsibilities for that family grew as well, it has become harder and harder to justify the expenses, especially when you can find all our CDs for free on various blogs out there. Viva the internet! :)

Anyway, at the beginning of July, Joe Gloss announced to me that he's moving to Milwaukee to pursue a new path in his life. I wish him all the best but organissimo can obviously not continue without him. I've been making music with Joe since 1997. I love him like a brother and I'm proud of everything we did accomplish. And Randy's contributions cannot be understated, of course. We had a very special musical relationship, culled over years of gigging together. At our peak, I think we were one of the best trios out there. Too bad most people never heard it! :)

So... what next? I'm going to continue touring with Janiva Magness. I've already made a lot of very good connections out on the road and there's so much more in store. When time allows there are several organ-based projects I would like to do. I will probably release them under my own name and hopefully be able to collaborate with Randy again in some form on them. Randy is busy with his new group featuring a cast of really talented players. And Joe is following a path that he believes with lead to greater fulfillment in his life. I don't know what his musical plans are, if any.

Concerning the forums, they will remain as is. I will need everyone's support more than ever to keep this place running since the band won't be bringing in any income. 99% of our CD sales, which we did use to help pay for this site, come from gigs. No gigs = a lot less income.

We'll continue to sell our CDs online but when they go out of print they will not be re-printed. We're on our third printing of the first two (Waiting For The Boogaloo Sisters and This Is The Place) and our second of Groovadelphia. We have several hundred of those three. We have about 500 left of the live disc from the first printing. It will not be reprinted. We have about 8 DVDs left. I will not be ordering any more of those either.

10 years is a good run. Thanks again to everyone here for their support.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just what I was afraid was going to happen when you announced the hiatus, but as you say, all good things must come to an end. Its good to know that everyone has plans and schemes going forward. I sure do wish I'd have had another chance to hear the group in person and hang with you guys backstage.

Best to everyone and I hope that Joe plans to continue to stop by here.

Jim, Joe, and Randy, thanks for everything. Life moves on, or else it's not life. I'm grateful to have all three of the studio CDs and will be sure to order the live one before it vanishes into OOP land. You can count on my continuing financial support for this site as well--it's taken on a life of its own, and one that reflects the unique spirit of the band. Though I'm sure all three of you will find fulfillment in your separate paths, as a unit you'll be much missed.

Gee, sorry to read this!

I love all your CDs, guys!

Of course, life moves on, and you obviously *had* to grab that chance with Janiva, Jim! I only recently bought a CD of hers (just because of you getting that gig!) and love it a lot!

So, thanks for all the music, and best of luck to Joe - and to Randy, too!

Jim and the band, thanks for these ten years. I wish you all the best for the future.

I never had the chance to catch you live, but your site and these forums have been important in helping me to broaden my musical horizons.

The same for me. I enjoyed the music you guys made but I understand too how difficult it is in the music biz and a crap economy doesn't help either. My best wishes to all three, I hope you all achieve some measure of happiness. Note to all: PLEASE GIVE TO THE ORGANISSIMO FUNDRAISER- YOUR $$ ARE NEEDED NOW MORE THAN EVER.