Happy Holidays, from Organissimo!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys!

There is enough material here to call this the Organissimo Christmas EP 2003! All you need is a cover. Perhaps couw or AfricaBrass will do the cover art and post it here. :) We could burn it and send it out with the next Blindfold test. :g

Loving the rendition of 'O Christmas Tree'. It smokes!

Michel,

The recording was fairly simple. I recently purchased a MOTU 1224 interface, which is one of their older models. It doesn't have all the fancy wing-dings that their newer interfaces have and it only does 24bit/48kHz recordings (not 96kHz like everybody is doing nowadays... for what reason is beyond me...) but it sounds good and since I bought it used it was quite inexpensive.

The 1224 gives me 8 analog inputs and 10 analog outputs to and from the computer. I used Cubase SX 2.0 as my DAW program. Everyone was in the same room. I set up the recording like this:

(Track # - instrument source - microphone - preamp)

Track 1: drum overhead left - MXL 603s - Presonus M80

Track 2: drum overhead right - MXL 603s - Presonus M80

Track 3: snare - Shure SM57 - Bellari RP503 tube preamp

Track 4: bass drum - Shure Beta52 - Presonus M80

Track 5: hi-hat - MXL 603s - Presonus M80

Track 6: organ low rotor - Rode NTK - Presonus M80

Track 7: organ hi rotor - MXL 2001 - Presonus M80

Track 8: guitar cabinet - MXL 53m - Bellari RP503

Track 9: saxophone - Studio Projects C3 - Presonus M80

As you can see there are nine tracks, but as I said the MOTU 1224 can only do 8 analog inputs into the computer at once. On the song where there is no saxophone (Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree), I used the setup listed above for tracks 1 thru 8. On the tune with saxophone (The Christmas Song), I used the hi-hat track (track 5) as the input for the saxophone, but routed it to track 9 in the computer for easier mixing.

I slightly compressed the snare drum going into the computer with the Bellari pre-amp (it has a built in compressor and EQ section). The Bellari's are actually not that bad considering they cost next to nothing. I think I got the pair for $200 used. I changed the stock tubes in them which made subtle differences to the tone.

I added a slight bump in the organ bass EQ at around 200 Hz. Probably 2db or so. I compressed the saxophone sllightly using the Waves plug-ins for Cubase SX and also EQ'd the midrange a bit. I'm not thrilled with the sound of the C3 on saxophone, now that I've tried it. I'm getting a MXL 67G for Christmas (from my lovely wife!) which is supposed to be a darker sounding mic. I'll try that next. I also have another Rode NTK I could try. The NTK is a really beautiful sounding tube mic (single pattern... that's the only bummer). I try to buy all my mics in pairs.

I used the Waves C4 compressor on the drum sub-mix. It's a multi-band compressor which allows you to compress certain frequencies but not others. After some playing around I was able to get a real nice, natural sounding high end on the drums, but still squash the middle enough to tame the dynamics a bit. Not too much... I hate too much compression.

Add a sprinkle of reverb here and there using (again) the Waves plug-ins and that was that! :)

The biggest issue I found was since I recorded in 24bit/48kHz I had a lot of dynamic range to play with. When I down converted into 16bit, I had to really watch my levels. 16bit only has a dynamic range of 94db or so. 24bit has a dynamic range of 112db, I think. So you can push it a lot harder. I've also read that it's better to record at 24bit/44.1kHz since you do not have to re-sample the audio from 48kHz to 44.1kHz for CD transfer. You just have to down-convert the bit-rate, which is easier and less noisy that changing two sample rates that have nothing to do with each other mathematically. Live and learn!

I recently acquired a MOTU 24i interface off Ebay which will give me 32 analog inputs into the computer, so I won't have to worry about stealing drum channels for the saxophone! :) Now I just need more mics and more mic preamps!

Well, I was feeling pretty good about those recordings... and then I heard this:

Jazzoo...

Granted, they have some nicer equipment than me, but man... the recordings just sound so natural and open. I gotta get some better mic preamps. I gotta start saving up for a Millenia HV-3D. Our last record, recorded at a real studio, made ample use of that preamp and it sounds beautiful. I think that would take the recordings to the next level.

I invited the engineer and musicians to post here. I like their sound. I'll definately be checking the record out when it is released.