Dutch musician Willem Breuker has died

J.A.W.

This is really sad. I liked a lot of his music, and really loved the Kollektief's. Hoped they might come to Los Angeles again.

The performance that I saw, must have been 8 years ago now, was so incredibly vibrant and joyous.

RIP.

Guest Bill Barton

Another shocker... I was aware that he had been ill for quite some time, but it's still a shock. Another one of my musical heroes moving on... Sigh. I feel blessed that I had a chance to hear the Kollektief in performance a couple of times. Great fun and incredible musicianship. R.I.P.

Terrible news. He was on a short list of performers whom I had always wanted to see, but never had the chance. To say that his music has brought more than a little bit of light into my world would be a severe understatement. He is one of the artists to whom I listen most often.

I like some of his works better than others, but I cannot recall hearing anything that I didn't like. I even adore the album with the barrel organs from his ICP days (ICP 003), which is still in print on CD on BVHaast. I also love those great LPs with Gunter Hampel; his long OOP ICP recordings ("Chocolate Box" 007/008 and The Message 009); the lovely Baal, and my favorite Kollektief recordings: In Holland, A Paris, and the Hunger, Thirst, Misery trilogy. And what about those Bennink duos ('67 and later in '84)? His contribution to Machine Gun? Woah, this one hurts.

I hope BVHaast survives and keeps his work in print. He will always be one of my favorite artists.

breuker_time3.jpg