A real, honest-to-God BFT!

Big Al

So I'm cleaning my office/gameroom and come across a CDR a friend made for me that has some very nice jazz on it, but no tracklist. I was able to ID three tracks, but what of the rest? So I turn to you all!

Here is the link to the download of the remaining songs. In the interest of legality (among other things), I'm gonna take this thread down once all of the songs listed below are identified:

Track 1: Monty Alexander - In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning (Echoes Of Jilly's)

Track 2: Duke Ellington - Prelude To A Kiss (Ellington Indigoes)

Track 3: Gene Harris - Everything Happens To Me (Funky Gene's)

Track 6: Howard Alden - The Peacocks (A Good Likeness)

Track 7: Stan Getz - Spring Is Here (Blue Skies)

Track 8: Bill Evans - Blue In Green (Portrait In Jazz)

Track 9: Scott Hamilton - Angel Eyes (Scott Hamilton With Strings)

Track 10: Charlie Byrd - Corcovado (The Bossa Nova Years)

Thanks, as always!

Edited by Big Al

#1 is "In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning"... not sure who's playing, though.

Monty Alexander from his Echoes Of Jilly's disc.

#6 The tune is familiar to me, but the title escapes me at the moment. Guitarist has a really nice broad, rich tone. Hmmm...

I've heard this one before, but like you, can't place it. Szabo ?

Edited by Chas

#6 The tune is familiar to me, but the title escapes me at the moment. Guitarist has a really nice broad, rich tone. Hmmm...

I've heard this one before, but like you, can't place it. Szabo ?

I was going to guess maybe Ron Eschete...? Almost sounds like a 7-string guitar near the end of the piece. The thing is, most of Eschete's recordings featured an electric 6-string bass (Todd Johnson). Joe Beck was another name that came to mind...

By the way, this was a very nice compilation. May I ask what the three tracks you identified were?

Sure!

Track 4: Miles Davis - My Funny Valentine (from COOKIN')

Track 5: Why Was I Born - Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane (from their s/t album)

Track 11: Round About Midnight - Thelonious Monk (from THELONIOUS HIMSELF)

Yeah, now that I see that most of the track have been ID'd, it would seem that the compiler is a Concord fan! :)

As for "The Peacocks," I'm assuming Jim R has this one because a) the Breakstone disc came out in 2009 and this compilation was made in 2005 and b) when it comes to guitar anything, I generally defer to Jim R, and because c) Jim R's name is also Al, although it's a well-kept secret. ;)

Thanks to everyone! I'm starting to think asking for this might not've been such a good idea, financially speaking. :g

And now everything's been identified! Thanks to everyone, especially Swinging Swede who got the jump on everyone. ;) I'll leave this up for the rest of the day for everyone to see the answers and then take it down tonight.

Thanks again to everyone! :)

As for "The Peacocks," I'm assuming Jim R has this one because a) the Breakstone disc came out in 2009 and this compilation was made in 2005 and b) when it comes to guitar anything, I generally defer to Jim R, and because c) Jim R's name is also Al, although it's a well-kept secret. ;)

Can't argue with any of that, but the sound sample on AMG sounded like your track. Just goes to show that 60 seconds don't always tell the whole story...

As for "The Peacocks," I'm assuming Jim R has this one because a) the Breakstone disc came out in 2009 and this compilation was made in 2005...

The first rule of BFT sleuthing (okay, maybe not the "first"): Look at the track timing! ^_^ I knew this wasn't Breakstone, but I should have thought of Alden sooner. He is a some-time 7-string player.

I hadn't heard that Breakstone track (or even the disc) yet, btw, and I just bought it as a result. So, thanks for making that happen, Al (and Jim). :cool:

Can't argue with any of that, but the sound sample on AMG sounded like your track. Just goes to show that 60 seconds don't always tell the whole story...

Knowing AMG, they probably used the Alden track for the Breakstone listing.

By the way, this was a very nice compilation. May I ask what the three tracks you identified were?

Sure!

Track 4: Miles Davis - My Funny Valentine (from COOKIN')

Track 5: Why Was I Born - Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane (from their s/t album)

Track 11: Round About Midnight - Thelonious Monk (from THELONIOUS HIMSELF)

Thanks for the info! I have those three albums, so I can now replicate the compilation. :)

FWIW, I also came to the conclusion that The Peacocks was by Alden and not Breakstone, but by then Jim R had already posted the correct identification.

I usually prefer uptempo stuff, or at least I thought I did, but this compilation worked really well, I must say.