Cecil Taylor "2 Ts..." box at a great price on UK Amazon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow

thanks for the info - has been on my wants list for a while

just ordered a set from Amazon for 49.34 + 3.68 (shipping to Australia)

I always thought this was a very limited edition set & sold out soon after release in the early 2000's

Does anyone know how many sets have been pressed??

One thousand only? Seriously?

Info from the Taylor Sessionography:

Cecil Taylor Feel Trio: 2 Ts for a lovely T

Codanza Records Codanza One (10-CD Box) 2002 UK

August 27 through September 1, 1990

Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club

London, UK

1.Epicritic (Pertaining to Cutaneous Sensitivity) [42:29] + [10:48]

2.Peduncle (The Support of an Inflorescence) [43:32]

3.Logozo Scampers (Tortoise) [42:06]

4.Owele Standing (Small Bird) [46:16]

5.Pineal (Black Dot) [41:34]

6.Proxumal (Nearest) [43:45] +[1:48]

7.Tellurian (Pertaining to Earth or its Inhabitants) [32:10]

8.Alumo [43:55]

9.Tayassus Pecari [41:03]

10.Peat [36:24]

Liner notes have no indication of session dates, and so no indication of which tracks were performed on which dates. Any help with this would be

appreciated. --RL

(All compositions, Cecil Taylor)

Cecil Taylor (piano)

William Parker (bass)

Tony Oxley (percussion)

{Primary Source: RL, Codanza One; Session dates via The WIRE, Issue 78, August 1990, pg. 6, "Club Dates" column.}

It never sold out - just went through some unfortunate distribution circumstances linked to the demise of Mole Jazz. It seems the current distributor has slashed prices to clear the stock.

Funilly enough I saw a copy of this very box for sale here in the UK today and didn't know what it was - but was impressed with the size if it. :blush2:

I remember seeing a note on the front door of Mole Jazz's place in Grays Inn Road back in the day apologising for the delay/'balls-up' with what must have been the initial run of the box.

Edited by sidewinder

Seems the price is the same everywhere else, ended up on a site called Tesco that sells it for the same price.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

"Tesco supermarkets sells limited run Cecil Taylor 10CD set".

You couldn't make it up !

I saw it yesterday next to the frozen peas!

Seriously, it's also on e-music. In the UK just one credit for each track.

Major Mistake on New Cecil Taylor Box Set

Submitted by Mnytime on Mon, 2002-07-08 15:35. Criticism

I just wanted to warn everyone that I have discovered a major mistake on my box set and wanted to warn others about this mistake. I have already asked several others now that I know that have received their boxes as well and all 3 have confirmed the same thing with their box.

Disc 2 & 7 are the exact same tracks in the new boxes even though they have different titles on the CD's.

comment

Submitted by Mnytime on Tue, 2002-07-09 12:32.

For those that didn't know about this box set, it was supposed to be a limited edition set. Only 1000 of these 10CD sets where being made and sold. They claimed that they where not going to repress anymore or break it up into smaller releases like FMP did with that Cecil Box. These 1000 Sets would be all there would ever be of this music.

The music was recorded over a one week stand that is supposed to have taken place at Ronnie Scott's club in London (the liner notes don't give the exact location or dates of recording) in 1990 by Cecil's Feel Trio with William Parker and Tony Oxley.

This was going to be the first release by Richard Cook's (one of the editors of the Penguin Jazz Guide) new label "Codanza"

The name of the box is "2 Ts for a lovely T".

At one time this box was going to be released by FMR, but for whatever reasons that fell through.

I still haven't gotten any response to my email from Mole Jazz, but anyone that has dealt with them knows it's almost impossible to get in touch with them that way. I will end up calling them I guess in the next couple days if I don't hear from them by then.

comment

Submitted by michael on Tue, 2002-07-09 14:34.

I got this email from Cadence today:

Hello,

The 10 CD box set (with booklet) of the Cecil Taylor Trio (William Parker/ Tony Oxley) set is now in. Condanza Records.

The cost is $185 (U.S.) plus shipping. (The $2.50 non-subscriber charge will be added to any orders from non-subscribers of Cadence Magazine.)

Because of a mispressing, there is trouble with one CD and we will not be shipping the box out until that has been rectified. We are, however, taking advance orders and, once our stock is sold out, we will not be restocking this.

So if you want it - reserve it now.

Thanks

The Crew

P.S. We still have a (new) copy of the original FMP Cecil CD box which, of course, includes all of the magnificient and lavish books that accompany this 13" x 13" box. A limited edition and long out of print, the price is $450.00 (U.S.)

Found the above info on a google search (from freejazz.org in 2002)

Note the price on the CT Berlin 88 box - there's one currently on Amazon for $1400

Bought my copy in 1995 for $250 from The Jazz Record Center (NYC) - I financed this purchase with a rare prog rock record I found (Dr. Z on the Vertigo label) for $1 in a "Lifeline" secondhand clothing store. Sold it for $300 to a collector here in Brisbane & was able to purchase the box & cover shipping also. Nice investment for a meagre dollar.

Edited by romualdo

When arrangements to release this material were being made, a friend of mine was recruited to take a suitcase of cash over to Paris (where Cecil was due to play), watch the gig, meet the master, and hand it over. Sadly a cycling accident put paid to this idea.

A shame - would have been a nice little Graham-Greene-meets-Jack-Kerouac episode in a present devoured by globalization and online banking.

Looks like it!

I have listened to two of those '2 Ts...' boxes and both were OK!

Would you recommend this box set Brownie? (for a Cecil 'moderate' who likes his Blue Note sessions but listens to the free-er stuff in small doses :mellow: ).

I would not recommend it to anybody who is hesitant on Cecil Taylor.

These are 10 CDs of often abrupt music.

I personally am an immoderate fan and love these performances!

Looks like it!

I have listened to two of those '2 Ts...' boxes and both were OK!

Would you recommend this box set Brownie? (for a Cecil 'moderate' who likes his Blue Note sessions but listens to the free-er stuff in small doses :mellow: ).

That's me too, I've had trouble really enjoying his post 60s output, small doses really , it's all too often too heavy to take , maybe this set might help me get it.......wondering.....