Cecil Taylor "2 Ts..." box at a great price on UK Amazon

This set is my favorite music from Cecil, and I'm a fan of every period of his. Parker's great bass and Oxley's dynamic yet somewhat light-handed percussion shouldn't make anyone's ears bleed. Anyone with a moderate interest in Taylor should seriously think about picking this one up. The price is right, and the music is excellent.

Damn, and I thought I got a deal buying one for $175 a few years ago.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it!

I have listened to two of those '2 Ts...' boxes and both were OK!

Would you recommend this box set Brownie? (for a Cecil 'moderate' who likes his Blue Note sessions but listens to the free-er stuff in small doses :mellow: ).

I would not recommend it to anybody who is hesitant on Cecil Taylor.

These are 10 CDs of often abrupt music.

I personally am an immoderate fan and love these performances!

Thanks. I'll see if I can check out some samples.

Hm, I don't want to talk anyone into buying this box, but I think it might be a good entrance point for anyone with open ears and an open mind about what music should be (or rather: anyone without too strict ideas about what it should not be). Oxley is the one musical equal that Taylor has been tolerating for many years now and is still playing with, and Parker (whom I usually don't like quite that much) is fitting in very well. This trio went under the moniker "The Feel Trio" and that describes them quite well.

For US buyers, I just found it here for $86.99.

Marginally cheaper at Amazon.uk - I ordered it from them yesterday, and after VAT was deducted and shipping added, my total came out to GBP 52.42, or $84.09 (I have the foreign Amazon sites set up to charge me in USD so as to avoid foreign exchange fees from my credit card company).

Note the price on the CT Berlin 88 box - there's one currently on Amazon for $1400

That Amazon seller must've been hitting the pipe a little too enthusiastically - there have been several copies on eBay recently and they seem to be averaging around $450-500.

well that seems much more reasonable - can't believe anyone would pay that sort of money for an 11CD set

Edited by romualdo

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it!

I have listened to two of those '2 Ts...' boxes and both were OK!

Set arrived today & all discs are fine (discs 2 & 7 are what they should be)

Love the minimalist design!!

Havn't listened to it yet but I'm certain I won't be disappointed

• 2 weeks later...

I took the plunge and bought it. That was the most reasonable price I had seen in a while. The $2.98 shipping charge seems to have bought me the very slowest form of delivery however, as the order has already shipped but estimated arrival date is September 27! Anyway, looking forward to this addition to my Cecil collection. I've heard some of the material and I know it is great stuff. BTW, CT is appearing in DC in November, oddly enough, at the French Embassy. Got my ticket smile.gif

• 1 month later...

For US buyers, I just found it here for $86.99.

I think I ordered this set from CDWow on the same day that I posted this - and it just arrived today (from Hong Kong), after numerous delays. It's still listed on CDWow, but for over 20 dollars more. I think I got lucky with the price, although obviously not with speed and convenience, since it took two months.

But, wow - I've got it on right now, and the music is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch. Hope their customer service is okay. I should pick this up before it is gone.

Their customer service is top notch. The only problem is that instead of just sending me a disc number 2, they can only send me the whole box as a replacement. Then I have to return the old box, and be reimbursed for shipping costs. More complicated than it needs to be, I say.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

The music is absorbing the sound isn't. Very weird compression or something makes it a hard listening experience. Devotees only.

The sound of the piano is very unappealing, I think. Especially since the FMPs have much more 'air' around the piano. Of the FMPs I have the two Feel Trio discs (Looking, and Celebrated Blazons), the duo with Oxley (Leaf Palm Hand), one solo disc (Erzulie Maketh Scent), and Nailed with Parker, Guy and Oxley.

I would like to own this 10CD box, but the FMPs are musically so rewarding on repeated listening that I doubt I have need of this 10 CD set. Now, if the sound were stellar without the weird, flat, boxy compression, I would have bought this years ago.

I think this would be worth it as a £7/$10 download, not as an originally hugely expensive £110 box set.

Perhaps the lack of availability of the FMPs partly explains the high praise for this box (besides the great music).

Edit: My impression was of disc 5. Now listening to the beginning of disc 8 and the piano seems a bit less receded. Strange how the Guardian review praises this for how the sound contributes positively to the presentation.

Edited by erwbol