John Carter & Bobby Bradford on Flying Dutchman

Head Man

I'm currently listening to the latest John Carter/Bobby Bradford Mosaic Select set and it's so good I wonder if anyone knows why their recordings made for Flying Dutchman in the late 60s/70s have never had a proper reissue on CD. Four tracks surfaced on RCA Novus in 1991 where they were paired with another four tracks by Horace Tapscott (West Coast Hot) but apart from that they seem to have disappeared. Are there contractual problems or what?

Actually, it's been my experience that the Carter/Bradford FD vinyl is getting harder to find. Not that many come on Ebay anymore and when then do they go for $25 and up.

Sadly, I have found this true as I had a NM copy of it and my wife's cat peed on it. Totally ruined the cover, which is gone, but the Nitty Gritty record cleaner saved the LP. I was hoping replacing the cover would be easy and cheap, but I haven't found that so far. Since I already have the music, I don't want to pay much just to replace the cover.

I have been informed there is indeed a legal problem and someone is working to get it cleared up, so there is hope.

I hope this is true (and its coming from Chuck is cause for optimism). Those were really good LPs and I'd love to see them in print and easily obtainable.

I have been informed there is indeed a legal problem and someone is working to get it cleared up, so there is hope.

I hope this is true (and its coming from Chuck is cause for optimism). Those were really good LPs and I'd love to see them in print and easily obtainable.

This is from the 'Mosaic Ahmad Jamal - John Carter/Bobby Bradford Release' thread. Looks promising!

Dear All, I produced the Mosaic Carter Bradford material and would be very interested in any comments or suggestions for the future regarding it. I plan to put out other similar material including the Flying Dutchman material, Bill Dixon Intents and Purposes, Hemphill Dogon A.D (have the master tapes here now), Jeremy Steig Flute Fever, and so on.

Your interest as expressed here on the site is so appreciated.

Jonathan Horwich

Edited by Head Man

• 11 years later...

Am I the only one who is noticing such a stylistic difference between ‘Flight for Four’ and ‘Selfdetermination Music’? Same band, same recording year but quite a different sound. The first sounds heavily influenced by Ornette Coleman’s music while the latter is more free form playing with a more unique touch. Was this the intention of the artists?

oh and btw: stunning music.

On 10/15/2021 at 10:31 AM, Pim said:

Am I the only one who is noticing such a stylistic difference between ‘Flight for Four’ and ‘Selfdetermination Music’? Same band, same recording year but quite a different sound. The first sounds heavily influenced by Ornette Coleman’s music while the latter is more free form playing with a more unique touch. Was this the intention of the artists?

oh and btw: stunning music.

Good call, I agree w/everything you wrote