Letterman Craps All Over Jazz Again

But sonnymax, take another look at your list. If that's the best you can do to show that Letterman has an interest in jazz, I think you may have supported dalemcfarland's claim. For someone who is on 5 nights a week, year after year, that is a pathetic list. Add to that the show's location—New York City! You shouldn't have had to stretch like that to come up with a handful of jazz guests.

Chris, I never claimed Letterman "has an interest in jazz." I only sought to rebuke dale's wild accusations. On the face of it, Letterman appears to have no more or less interest in jazz (or whatever passes for "jazz" in the general public) than do other hosts of similar shows. I agree that it's a dismal situation all around, but to single out Letterman is preposterous.

And to answer your previous question: "Herbie plays jazz? When did he resume?," it had to be sometime after Thursday, August 27, 2007. I saw him that evening at Chicago's Symphony Center, ironically on what was billed as the opening night of the Chicago Jazz Festival. I assure you, it wasn't jazz I heard coming from the stage, at least not during the first three or four tunes. I can't say after that, because I walked out. Hell, even the representative from the concert's sponsor, the Chicago Jazz Institute, offered an apology for what Herbie did that night :lol: !

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But sonnymax, take another look at your list. If that's the best you can do to show that Letterman has an interest in jazz, I think you may have supported dalemcfarland's claim. For someone who is on 5 nights a week, year after year, that is a pathetic list. Add to that the show's location—New York City! You shouldn't have had to stretch like that to come up with a handful of jazz guests.

Chris, I never claimed Letterman "has an interest in jazz." I only sought to rebuke dale's wild accusations. On the face of it, Letterman appears to have no more or less interest in jazz (or whatever passes for "jazz" in the general public) than do other hosts of similar shows. I agree that it's a dismal situation all around, but to single out Letterman is preposterous.

And to answer your previous question: "Herbie plays jazz? When did he resume?," it had to be sometime after Thursday, August 27, 2007. I saw him that evening at Chicago's Symphony Center, ironically on what was billed as the opening night of the Chicago Jazz Festival. I assure you, it wasn't jazz I heard coming from the stage, at least not during the first three or four tunes. I can't say after that, because I walked out. Hell, even the representative from the concert's sponsor, the Chicago Jazz Institute, offered an apology for what Herbie did that night :lol: !

He's coming to Heinz Hall in Pittsburgh and I was wondering what he would be doing there and if I should go. This helps!

I'm a big Letterman fan. Watching the show right now. I have heard him mention in passing that he doesn't really like jazz. He and I have to just "agree to disagree" about that.

I thought the quip last night with Michael Keaton was funny.

I also like Craig Ferguson, and he has also mentioned a distaste for jazz. He's still damn entertaining.

... You've obviously got a chip on your shoulder ... put up or shut up ...

No chip on my shoulder. Just thought it was something this forum would be interested in. Whether you already knew it or not, Letterman's dislike for jazz is a matter of public record. ("Passionately HATES" was my own hyperbole and I retract it.) He has said so himself in magazine interviews. He has disrespected it on his show with side comments and pre-written comedy bits. And it has been referenced online:

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=3888

http://www.jazzweekly.com/interviews/lucoff.htm

(see paragraph 7)

I won't spend any more time substantiating this FACT. The point of my original post was not that he should champion jazz on his show - or even like it - but that equating jazz fans to heroin addicts continues an unfortunate stereotype which is unnecessarily hateful and harmful to the art form.

What would you expect from Letterman, since his bandleader and second banana is the musical lightweight Paul Schaefer? Ever hear Schaefer's appearance on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz? Marian told me that he was familiar with format of the show, yet when he came, he was unprepared and managed to only play a duet or so while she ended up playing most of the songs by herself. Easily one of the worst guests in the history of Piano Jazz.

But Letterman passionately HATES jazz, and has happily said so on more than one occasion. (I'm not going to search through old magazine interviews to prove this, you're just gonna have to take my word that I've read it.)

No, I won't. You have no history here that would earn you that kind of trust. Lots of people (actually, most people) don't like or understand jazz. You've obviously got a chip on your shoulder to claim that someone "passionately HATES jazz". Speaking bluntly, put up or shut up. Or at least contribute positively to another thread.

Hey man, I've known Dale for a couple of decades now. He's got one of the least chippiest shoulders I've ever encountered, so chill out on that, ok? You're just wrong.

The point of my original post was not that he should champion jazz on his show - or even like it - but that equating jazz fans to heroin addicts continues an unfortunate stereotype which is unnecessarily hateful and harmful to the art form.

Your quote most assuredly implied that he should champion the music on his show, or how else are we to interpret "It's more than just a passing joke when it takes food out of cat's mouths."?

And the joke didn't equate jazz fans to heroin addicts - when was that even a stereotype in the first place, it was the musicians who were shooting up. Which you even acknowledged when you said "he has famously boycotted jazz from his show for decades and never misses an opportunity to insult and denigrate the people who play it."

David Letterman hates jazz and given the volume of airtime he has filled on CBS, very rarely incorporates that hatred into his act. Big Fucking Deal. That doesn't make the top fifty of Problems Confronting Jazz.

What would you expect from Letterman, since his bandleader and second banana is the musical lightweight Paul Schaefer? Ever hear Schaefer's appearance on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz? Marian told me that he was familiar with format of the show, yet when he came, he was unprepared and managed to only play a duet or so while she ended up playing most of the songs by herself. Easily one of the worst guests in the history of Piano Jazz.

First of all, who would even expect Paul Shaeffer to even be invited on Piano Jazz? What was the point? To my knowledge he's never expressed an interest or even a remote affinity for jazz. What did Marian expect? The man co-wrote "It's Raining Men, Hallelujah" for crap's sake.

I'm a big Letterman fan. Watching the show right now. I have heard him mention in passing that he doesn't really like jazz. He and I have to just "agree to disagree" about that.

Sorry to be the grammar police here but therefore you disagree that he hates jazz but he thinks otherwise?

I think you were looking for "I've managed not to hold it against him."

Guest Wallace

I think some research has to be done here.

We know Letterman has a goodly record collection.

What we SHOULD be asking ourselves is does his collection reflect the fact that he fits the profile of a lover of Progressive Rock?

If so then, no matter what he says , he has to be a great and discerning fellow.

All else should be forgiven.

Just some observations:

-People here will argue about anything.

-Many people here are a bit too thin-skinned when it comes to comments made on jazz.

-Really, who cares what Letterman thinks about jazz?

-Why would anyone think that Letterman owes the world anything with regard to jazz?

-His comment was meant as a joke.

-The joke wasn't funny or even clever.

-The premise of the "joke" wasn't even correct.

-Letterman hasn't been funny in years.

-What actual impact has the comment had on the jazz world? I'd be surprised at anything more than zero.

That's just my 2 cents and of course, nothing more than my opinion, like it or not. ^_^

Just some observations:

-People here will argue about anything.

-Many people here are a bit too thin-skinned when it comes to comments made on jazz.

-Really, who cares what Letterman thinks about jazz?

-Why would anyone think that Letterman owes the world anything with regard to jazz?

-His comment was meant as a joke.

-The joke wasn't funny or even clever.

-The premise of the "joke" wasn't even correct.

-Letterman hasn't been funny in years.

-What actual impact has the comment had on the jazz world? I'd be surprised at anything more than zero.

That's just my 2 cents and of course, nothing more than my opinion, like it or not. ^_^

:tup

Hey man, I've known Dale for a couple of decades now. He's got one of the least chippiest shoulders I've ever encountered, so chill out on that, ok? You're just wrong.

That's fine for you, Jim. But when Dale makes strong accusations saying "you'll just have to trust me," and his only contributions to the board are 2 or 3 posts to his own thread, he hasn't yet earned my trust. If you can respect that, then I'll gladly "chill".

Sorry to be the grammar police here but therefore you disagree that he hates jazz but he thinks otherwise?

I think you were looking for "I've managed not to hold it against him."

Yeah, something like that.

Jim, you're still alive?? I thought you died from a heroin overdose years ago!!

A popular misconception. It was a heron overdose. Quiet as it's kept, those sucker are the fugu of the ornithological world. And it was a near-overdose, obviously.

What kept me from walking through death's door? Watching a Letterman show, believe it or not. Bird died while laughing, I escaped death while doing the same.

How many layers of irony are there in that?

DaleMcFarland writes:

"No chip on my shoulder. Just thought it was something this forum would be interested in. Whether you already knew it or not, Letterman's dislike for jazz is a matter of public record. ("Passionately HATES" was my own hyperbole and I retract it.) He has said so himself in magazine interviews. He has disrespected it on his show with side comments and pre-written comedy bits. And it has been referenced online:

http://forums.allabo...read.php?t=3888

http://www.jazzweekl...iews/lucoff.htm

(see paragraph 7)

"I won't spend any more time substantiating this FACT."

Dale, your "FACT" consists of two other folks who claim that "Dave hates Jazz." That's not "public record"; it's just two other opinions.

To others who dismiss the list of jazz players who have appeared on the show as not "jazz" enough (Herbie Hancock? Seriously?), good luck on the purification project. Excluding all you feel aren't up to your standards of what constitutes "jazz" will do nothing to broaden its appeal.

Here's a selected list of jazz musicians (regardless of one's purity test) that have appeared just on Letterman's "Late Night" program (1982-1993) (Source: my Letterman database):

Tony Bennett (May 6, 1986; November 5, 1987; July 23, 1991; November 4, 1992)

George Benson (April 11, 1985)

Ruben Blades (July 9, 1985; August 28, 1985; January 8, 1991)

Stanley Clarke (February 4, 1987; October 12, 1990)

Harry Connick, Jr. (February 2, 1989)

Chick Corea (March 25, 1985)

Paquito D'Rivera (July 22, 1985

Sammy Davis, Jr. (September 16, 1985; May 19, 1987; June 9, 1989)

Stan Getz (November 13, 1985)

Dizzy Gillespie (October 2, 1984)

Herbie Hancock (December 11, 1984)

Al Hirt (July 19, 1988; September 13, 1988)\

Freddie Hubbard (April 24, 1984)

Etta James (February 14, 1989; August 7, 1990)

Quincy Jones (December 11, 1985(

Stanley Jordan (September 26, 1985; February 15, 1989)

Earl Klugh (January 29, 1986)

Lyle Lovett (August 1, 1988; September 15, 1989; August 16, 1990; February 21, 1991; April 7, 1992; August 25, 1992; January 22, 1993; June 16, 1993)

Herbie Mann (December 6, 1984)

Tania Maria (January 26, 1987; March 15, 1989)

Branford Marsalis (January 15, 1988; October 7, 1988)

Hugh Masekela (February 23, 1988)

Bobby McFerrin (November 16, 1988)

Pat Metheney (April 25, 1990)

Babatundi Olantunji (June 18, 1987)

Les Paul (October 1, 1987)

Tito Puente (February 26, 1986; February 7, 1992)

David Sanborn (117 appearances, both sitting in with the band throughout the show and own music segment)

Diane Schuur (September 6, 1990)

Doc Severinsen (June 17, 1985)

Toots Thielemans (August 11, 1982; July 27, 1983; May 9, 1984; August 19, 1985)

Allen Toussaint (April 14, 1987; May 13, 1992)

McCoy Tyner (February 19, 1985)

Tom Waits (December 21, 1983; February 6, 1986; October 16, 1987; October 5, 1988)

Grover Washington, Jr. (November 23, 1983)

Sadao Watanabe (March 21, 1984)

And a word on Paul Shaffer and jazz:

Interview in "Fi" Magazine, March 1998:

Paul: I actually gigged with McCoy [Tyner]. He had a record out at the time with string orchestrations and some vocals by the late Phyllis Hyman, around '83, '84.* Slightly r&b vocal tunes, a little calypso, and a big dose of McCoy. For this gig they needed somebody to replicate on synthesizer some of the orchestrations from the album for four shows at the Bottom Line. So there I was playing with the great McCoy Tyner. I have always been interested in jazz, could never really play it, didn't consider myself a jazz plyer. In college, though my passion was soul and r&b, my fascination was jazz, especially modal jazz asa played by John Coltrane.

* The Bottom Line gig occurred August 6 and 7, 1982 (source: Keyboard, September 1983, p. 52).

Well ... the staggering evidence from the '80s above suggests Letterman made a joke about something he apparently does not hate, might be indifferent to, or maybe even occasionally enjoys?

Who the hell does he think he is, anyways? :angry:

Edited by papsrus

Dale, your "FACT" consists of two other folks who claim that "Dave hates Jazz." That's not "public record"; it's just two other opinions.

The public record I'm talking about were his own interview statements in print. Maybe one day I'll remember where I read them, but probably not. I really don't care anymore. Peace.