Audio from my closet

Christiern

I have finally found out how to post audio to my blog, so I went into my closet and came out with some stuff that hasn't met any pair of ears in decades. My first audio post is 18 minutes of a Lonnie Johnson and Elmer Snowden appearance on my Philadelphia show, April 10, 1960. There is more to come from Lonnie and Elmer, also some jazz from the first WBAI marathon, including performances by Walter Bishop, Jr., Frank Haynes, Ronnie Matthews, Clifford Jordan, and Roy Burrows. I might even post "Blue Moon," as sung by A. B. Spellman.

Y'all know how to Stomp off!

I would appreciate comments, either here or there.

Edited by Christiern

Just started listening now to the Matthews, Chris.

Beautiful. Thank you.

EDIT: ... and now the Lonnie Johnson-Elmer Snowden. This may actually get me to run down to Bestbuy and grab some speakers for my laptop. Great stuff.

Edited by papsrus

Liked the Ronnie Mathews 'Prelude to a Kiss'.

Waiting for that Walter Bishop, Frank Haynes, etc...

Whenever you want, Chris!

I remember visiting the WBAI studios back in 1967 (I have photos somewhere). Interesting visit.

Edited by brownie

Hey you guys, Ronnie Mathews had only one T in his surname. I remember asking him about the odd spelling when he was playing solo piano at the Montreal Bistro here in Toronto. He told me that no one spells his name correctly. Judging from this thread I guess he was was right.

Edited by Don Brown

• 3 weeks later...

I just added another Ronnie Matthews performance, Dorian, with Michael Fleming on bass and J.C. Moses, drums.

I have one more Matthews piece to post, a blues. Then it's on to something different, a 1962 recording from Scranton Pennsylvania. It was Christmas week, the snow was piled high and a bunch of us squeezed into Ray Bryant's station wagon very early in the morning. Elmer Snowden, Herman Autrey, Budd Johnson, Tommy Bryant and Jo Jones—I was the MC and Perl Bailey's sister, Eura, was the vocalist. I'll post that next week.