George Coleman

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Coleman in the mid-80's at Jonathan Swift's in Harvard Square with a one-off band.

Coleman, Kenny Barron, Buster Williams, and I think Louis Hayes on drums.

At one point, they were playing some burning ass tune with lots of changes. During his solo Coleman starting modulating around into

all sorts of keys (something he's known for) and Kenny Barron was just kind of laughing and shaking his head while trying to keep up.

It was pretty funny and keep up he did!

bigtiny

At one point, they were playing some burning ass tune with lots of changes. During his solo Coleman starting modulating around into

all sorts of keys (something he's known for) and Kenny Barron was just kind of laughing and shaking his head while trying to keep up.

It was pretty funny and keep up he did!

bigtiny

Yeah, that´s the way how he did it. A topnotch musician, he had it all.

For years the only Coleman I knew was with Miles, and I was very underwhelmed. Then I saw him some time in the '80s at Fat Tuesdays and he blew me away. He played tenor, soprano, and fabulous alto. How much has he recorded on alto? I saw him several times after and his mileage varied, but at the North Sea Festival in 2000 (w/ John Hicks) I remember a particularly gripping ballad performance, but I forget the tune. I caught him with Michael and Louis Hayes and I think John Weber at Smoke a couple of years after that and I think he stuck to tenor.

I really like George Coleman's playing. I last saw him at the beginning of this year at the Jazz Standard in NYC. It was so sad. He had lost his chops. In fact the person that checked your reservations at the door had to grab his horn and come on stage to play with George. It reminded me of the last years of Freedie Hubbard and how he lost his chops on the trumpet. Has anyone seen him live in the past 5 to 6 months? I may go and see him at Birdland, but I don't want to see a prize fighter fight one too many fights.

Beautiful sound. I sure hope he doesn't lose that. It's one of the best. I also like his harmonic ideas. I don't always go for tenor players running chords and I think George does more than that. He's a thinker. Sometimes working things out somewhat is a viable approach. With that approach when one is inspired there are options. He was pretty inspired IMO on his solo on Dolphin Dance. Very well worth studying.

You also can tell a guy's good when he's exposed, and on the duet record he made with---I think---Tete Montelu (sp?) he's right out there and it holds up beautifully. I remember a wise statement by Eddie Harris in a radio interview. He said something like 'you wanna hear where a tenor player's really at? Pan down the rhythm section and see if you still can pat your foot to him.'

I really like George Coleman's playing. I last saw him at the beginning of this year at the Jazz Standard in NYC. It was so sad. He had lost his chops. In fact the person that checked your reservations at the door had to grab his horn and come on stage to play with George. It reminded me of the last years of Freedie Hubbard and how he lost his chops on the trumpet. Has anyone seen him live in the past 5 to 6 months? I may go and see him at Birdland, but I don't want to see a prize fighter fight one too many fights.

Beautiful sound. I sure hope he doesn't lose that. It's one of the best. I also like his harmonic ideas. I don't always go for tenor players running chords and I think George does more than that. He's a thinker. Sometimes working things out somewhat is a viable approach. With that approach when one is inspired there are options. He was pretty inspired IMO on his solo on Dolphin Dance. Very well worth studying.

You also can tell a guy's good when he's exposed, and on the duet record he made with---I think---Tete Montelu (sp?) he's right out there and it holds up beautifully. I remember a wise statement by Eddie Harris in a radio interview. He said something like 'you wanna hear where a tenor player's really at? Pan down the rhythm section and see if you still can pat your foot to him.'

The duet record, called "Convergence" (from 1990) is with the wonderful Richie Beirach.

The duet record, called "Convergence" (from 1990) is with the wonderful Richie Beirach.

I never heard of that one before, and would like to hear it. But my addled brain does seem to recall a recording with Montelu.

The last two time I did see him, which was after the gig I first mentioned, he sounded great.

I never heard of that one before, and would like to hear it. But my addled brain does seem to recall a recording with Montelu.

e606892e4m7.jpg

http://www.allmusic.com/album/meditation-r136801

As you can see, the proper spelling is Montoliu (and our own EKE BBB is the expert in all things Tete!)

Thanks. My shrinking (unincredible) brain also thanks you.

• 1 year later...

Just ordered this today after reading Max Harrison's review of it in ESSENTIAL JAZZ RECORDS V. 2.

The version of "Soul Eyes" here is really fantastic!
If fact, everyone here is playing at his best:
cover.jpg

George Coleman - At Yoshi's
08/01/1987
Evidence
Credits:

George Coleman - Sax (Tenor),
Harold Mabern - Piano
Ray Drummond - Bass
Alvin Queen - Drums

01 - They Say It's Wonderful
02 - Good Morning Heartache