Jackie McLean post- Blue Note

mjazzg

Inspired by the film 'Jackie McLean on Mars' posted elswhere (thanks again Brownie) I find myself wondering which Jackie Mac albums released after the BN run are the ones to listen out for. Penguin Guide is pretty ambivalent about all of them.

I know there must be many Jackie fans out there so any help gratefully received. I'm keener on the later BN's as a rule so something that picks up from there would be ideal.

Thanks already to Joe who's pionted me towards 'Antiquity' which I'm enjoying right now (pun not intendedrolleyes.gif )

The date with the Hank Jones-led Great Jazz Trio (NEW WINE IN OLD BOTTLES) is fine, and roughly contemporaneous with the ON MARS film.

I also like the reunion with Mal Waldron, LEFT ALONE '86; both musicians had changed quite a bit since the original date, but remain compatible (to say the least.)

d323389w648.jpg

Of his late, late dates, the collaboration with Junko Onishi, HAT TRICK, is among his more focused.

The Steeplechases are very good, and are all worth seeking. A Ghetto Lullaby and his duet with Michael Carvin are excellent! Second the New Wine Old Bottles. But his best effort in his later years is Jackie McLean's Dynasty. Jackie Mac Attack Live has tunes from this cd. Look for it!!!!!!

Any thoughts on The Jackie Mac Attack Live! (or some such) from 1991 on Verve? Looks promising.

It's pretty good - I've just picked this one up. Not the greatest of fidelity but as a record of a McLean gig of the 80s/90s, can't be beat.

'Rhythm Of The Earth' is a favourite too. Some interesting dogon-inspired compositions and a 'beefy' front line, including Roy Hargrove. Doesn't seem to come out well in most of the critics writeups though. Don't let that put you off !

Edited by sidewinder

But his best effort in his later years is Jackie McLean's Dynasty. Jackie Mac Attack Live has tunes from this cd. Look for it!!!!!!

I love his version of A House Is Not A Home from this one.

41C478PHW5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I fortunately got to see him perform it at an underpublicized and therefore not well attended concert in Newark, NJ back in the late '80s. Very poignant rendition. I recall Oliver Lake being one of the few present in the audience.

'Monuments'is, of course, an abomination (disco funk J-Mac, cut us a break). I also found the Blue Notes with McCoy Tyner and Junko Onishi to be disappointments, played much too safe. Overall, his post-Blue Note work was commendable, but much more 'mainstream'than the Blue Notes overall.

It think the Steeplechase side w/The Cosmic Brotherhood comes closest in "sound" (musically, that is) to a BN date, if that's what you're looking for.

Interesting how that particular nexus played out as far as Steeplechase projects went too - Billy Skinner, Rene, & Carvin all had solo projects. Wonder if that was the direct result of Jackie running interference, or if the label itself ran it that way.

nycalling.JPG

There's also the wonderful 1976 reunion with Mal Waldron 'Like Old Times' on Japanese Victor/JVC. It came out on vinyl and does not seem to have been reissued ever! There's Mal, Jackie, Isao Suzuki and Billy Higgins!

I purchased my copy from Fred Cohen's Jazz Record Center a number of years ago.

Really surprising that the Japanese labels have not bothered to reissue it!

I could not find an image for this LP!