Ravi Coltrane signs with Blue Note

brownie

If the Times writer was a little more knowledgeable, he might mention the story that BN did sign papa Coltrane but he had signed with Prestige just before, and therefore his sole leader date said "courtesy of Prestige Records". So now a Coltrane really is signed, sealed and delivered. What that means today is probably very, very little.

I wanna hear Ravi Coltrane doing "Soul Eyes" with Anita Baker on Blue Note.

That actually would work fine. I don't think I've ever heard anyone really ruin "Soul Eyes", and Baker and Coltrane wouldn't. But I don't want to hear Norah Jones and Richard Elliott do "Soul Eyes" on Blue Note.

Very funny!

I gotta say, I'm not a big fan of Ravi Coltrane.

It was kinda neat when he was a kid and playing with Elvin, but then again there was always Sonny Fortune on stage too, for some real meat.

Very funny!

I gotta say, I'm not a big fan of Ravi Coltrane.

It was kinda neat when he was a kid and playing with Elvin, but then again there was always Sonny Fortune on stage too, for some real meat.

Elvin had some monster tenor players on his early recordings as a leader - Joe Farrell, George Coleman, Frank Foster. And Dave Liebman and Steve Grossman did some of their best work with him (as did the previously mentioned three). A shame and a mystery that 'Coalition' never got reissued on CD. Foster and Coleman are incredible on that one, and great writing ('Simone', '5/4 Thing', a stunning arrangement of 'Yesterdays'). One of the great Blue Note albums to my ears. I heard something about that Jones had previously been a sideman for a pretty decent tenor player, but don't know much about that :rolleyes:

Dewey Redman once told me he thought Anita Baker could be a great jazz singer. I couldn't really venture an opinion because I am not familiar with her work. But if Dewey says it, I have a tendency to think it's probably true. Dewey was music.

I heard Ravi once with Joanne Brackeen and thought he reminded me of Dewey. I did not notice this as much on subsequent gigs.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

A shame and a mystery that 'Coalition' never got reissued on CD.

Coalition was included in the Elvin Jones Mosaic 8CD-set, but I guess you were thinking of a (domestic) single-CD reissue.

That is what I was thinking of. I have the Mosaic, and I never go look at what it's selling for, because I don't want to think about giving it up, it's fabulous.

• 2 years later...