Apple reissues, specifically MJQ

mjzee

I know the availability of the 2 MJQ albums on Apple Records has been discussed here many times. According to Discussions Magazine, all of the label's releases will be reissued beginning October 26th, including digital downloads. This will be of interest to many here:

UNDER THE JASMIN TREE (1968) & SPACE (1969) by the Modern Jazz Quartet (a 2-on-1 CD)

Two albums of high-class improvisational bebop recorded by Atlantic Records legends the MJQ while on secondment to Apple. With their unique line-up of piano, vibes, bass and drums, the Quartet brought old-style tuxedo excellence and cool organic jazz to the Apple catalogue.

Thanks for posting this! Looking forward to it. Plus, I have a new word to work with: "secondment."

Good to see that one coming out, though nothing else about the reissue campaign looks very exciting. Thanks for posting this.

As my avatar indicates, Under the Jasmin Tree is an extremely important recording for me and I cannot be happier to hear this. It was the fourth jazz album I had ever heard, (The Bird soundtrack, Agharta by Miles and Blue Train were the first three) and the first recording that really spoke to me. I had it on cassette and was destroyed years ago, so waiting with baited breath for its return.

From http://www.applerecords.com/

UNDER THE JASMIN TREE (1968) & SPACE (1969) by the Modern Jazz Quartet (a 2-on-1 CD)

Two albums of high-class improvisational bebop recorded by Atlantic Records legends the MJQ while on secondment to Apple. With their unique line-up of piano, vibes, bass and drums, the Quartet brought old-style tuxedo excellence and cool organic jazz to the Apple catalogue.

This Remastered CD includes one Bonus Track:

‘Yesterday’ / previously unreleased version of The Beatles’ classic

I repeat: This Remastered CD includes one Bonus Track:

‘Yesterday’ / previously unreleased version of The Beatles’ classic  :excited:

"improvisational bebop" ? "old-style tuxedo excellence" ?

That blurb's so jive it could have been written by this cat :

old-styletuxedoexcellence.jpg