Male Jazz Vocalists: Tracking an Endangered Species

On the face of it, this summer has been a fruitful one for male jazz vocalists. Freddy Cole closed out the Jazz in July series last week at the 92nd Street Y and has a new album on shelves this week. Harry Connick Jr. just wrapped up an 11-show run on Broadway. And Sachal Vasandani will embark on a national tour in August, including a stop at Feinstein's on Aug. 12.

But the recent activity belies a long-running trend: Though men have dominated jazz music from its inception, male jazz vocalists are an "endangered species," as Carl Allen, the artistic director of jazz studies at the Julliard School, recently put it.

More here:

WSJ

The question of who is and who isn't a "jazz" vocalist was never solved. I would not label Harry Connick, Jr. a "jazz" vocalist any more than I would seriously regard him as a jazz pianist. Kurt Elling, like Mark Murphy, always tried too hard to sound "hep" and, later, "hip", but neither could really hop—at least they never convinced me. Quite a different matter is/was Louis (daddy of the genre), and—to name a few—Joe Williams, Bill Henderson, Mel Tormé, Jimmy Rushing, and Eddie Vinson... and a slew of blues singers (that line between them is very thin and sometimes invisible)...

Endangered? I guess so, they are no longer available for booking. I have yet to hear a current male vocalist who not a steamed up mirror of the past, even a fun house mirror.

Never mind!

I had something to do with Joe Locke's latest recording "For The Love of You" ( a Isley Brothers song, by the way) that features vocalistKenny Washington, who is really wonderful. a real musician. I heard lots of "Good luck making it with a males jazz singer!", comments.

There are people out there whose idea of a "jazz singer" is only female.

Edited by marcello

I do want to mention that, when he wants to be, Connick is a terrific pianist. Sometimes, however, he gets stuck in a flashy, 'ain't I cute' thing. But I have heard him play amazingly well.

Glad you said that. I recall an evening around '91 or so at the Village Vanguard where Connick appeared with a trio, did not sing at all (disappointing more than a few present who evidently had come to hear him sing), and played convincingly in a style that reflected a few pianistic influences, including chiefly, Monk. I was sitting with Sue Mingus (that's another story) and we both enjoyed two sets.

But to get back to the topic, while not a big fan of male jazz vocalists (certainly NOT Elling, and I've never really dug Jon Hendricks), I did attend a Kevin Mahogany concert a few years back which was convincingly good.

Edited by MartyJazz

• 2 weeks later...