Strata-East records

Head Man

Does anyone know why so few of the releases on this label are currently available on CD? Even the ones that are only seem to be available in Japan. I'm currently listening to a needle drop of the John Gordon album 'Step by Step' which is excellent but I can't buy it on CD because it has never been reissued (I think!)....strange...and sad!

Does anyone know why so few of the releases on this label are currently available on CD? Even the ones that are only seem to be available in Japan. I'm currently listening to a needle drop of the John Gordon album 'Step by Step' which is excellent but I can't buy it on CD because it has never been reissued (I think!)....strange...and sad!

Don't miss the Charles Tolliver Mosaic Select, which contains three full albums of prime live Music Inc (both Slugs volumes plus Tokyo) material plus a ton of previous unreleased bonus material. Charly released some Strata-East stuff (Pharoah Sanders Izipho Zam and Clifford Jordan Glass Bead Games and some Stanley Cowell and John Hicks), but I think there are questions on the licensing. Warren Smith got his Composers Workshop Ensemble Strata-East stuff out on a 2CD set on the Claves label. Dick Griffin's Strata-East album is out on CD on Konnex (don't know if it is still in print). Charles Tolliver's Live in Loosdrecht came out out on Black Lion with the title "Grand Max". Gil Scott-Heron got "Winter in America" with bonus cuts out on TVT.

Edited by felser

Strata East was formed by Charles Tolliver and Stanley Cowell, back in 1971. According to Michael Cuscuna's notes to the Tolliver Mosaic Select the recordings are owned by the artists themselves, so maybe that's the reason why so few have been released on CD. Apart from the Tolliver Mosaic, I have only one Strata East album on CD, Clifford Jordan's Glass Bead Games, which was issued by the Japanese Bomba label.

(edit)

See felser's post above for more info :)

I do own quite a few Strata-East albums including most of the ones you mention, Felser; plus the Charles Tolliver's Mosaic boxset. However if the artists themselves own the recordings then I guess that's why there's been no proper re-issue programme. It can't be easy to organise one-off deals to get the music out.

I do own quite a few Strata-East albums including most of the ones you mention, Felser; plus the Charles Tolliver's Mosaic boxset. However if the artists themselves own the recordings then I guess that's why there's been no proper re-issue programme. It can't be easy to organise one-off deals to get the music out.

FWIW, The Strata Web site recently reported that Tolliver's "Paper Man" was to released as part of a multi-disk set in the future.

bought three Strata East CD's from Japan last month ie

Billy Harper's Capra Black & Charles Tolliver's Music Inc & Impact - all with great sound (Bomba label - 24bit remastered)

HMV Japan have them on special at present (between 1600 & 1800yen) - there is a reasonable range of Strata Easts though not comprehensive

Regarding the MS Tolliver box - hasn't Michael Cuscuna mentioned that they are considering releasing a further MS box in the future?

Clifford Jordan's Glass Bead Games has been released by the Harvestsong label (Canadian?) - this is an official release via Clifford Jordan's wife (who had the tapes) - can only get it through Cadence as far as I am aware

Edited by romualdo

FWIW, The Strata Web site recently reported that Tolliver's "Paper Man" was to released as part of a multi-disk set in the future.

That website has listed that album as "coming soon" for the four years I've been checking it. Do they have something that is newer info somewhere? I did notice the website showed a 2010 update date.

I'm not sure about the provenance or even if my memory is a little clouded, but I feel pretty certain that I saw a CD copy of Step By Step in the LA Amoeba several years back. It could have been an import, if the artificially high used CD price was any indication.

I'm not sure about the provenance or even if my memory is a little clouded, but I feel pretty certain that I saw a CD copy of Step By Step in the LA Amoeba several years back. It could have been an import, if the artificially high used CD price was any indication.

It was out on German label Bellaphon a long time ago.

It was out on German label Bellaphon a long time ago.

A number of Strata-East titles were. I picked up Billy Harper's "Capra Black", Clifford Jordan's "Glass Bead Games" and a bunch of Tolliver titles back then.

I think the ownership of almost all of the masters have reverted back to the individual artists so at this point it's on the artist to see about reissuing their work.

I know that Charles has licensed his albums out to various labels over the past few years and I assume if there are inquiries about some of the other titles he passes them on to the artists so they can deal with it themselves.

I'm still waiting for Paperman as well though I have copy of the new master that I thought would have been released a few years ago. It has bonus tracks, 2 versions of Neal Hefti's Repetition.