Storied Trove of 1930s Jazz Is Acquired by Museum

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Savory's work for the CIA was partly what made him guard these recordings so closely -- kind of like, once he went to work for them everything he'd ever done needed to be kept quiet. You know how they can be.

Certainly, making them public would have brought him attention that he/they wouldn't likely want.

Thanks for the link to the audio clips, Mark. Amazing to hear the difference between the original and the remastered track on that Calloway performance.

Its an incredible find and hopefully these recordings will indeed see a commercial release someday (at 70 years out from the most recent recordings, I can't see how copyright even comes into it but what do I know?)

But jeez, I could have done a better job on click removal. :unsure:

The way to get this released is if everyone starts writing the museum, asking if they have comfy coaches that allow for hours & hours of listening. Also bugging them about their interconnects and the like. If they realize they could end up having a bunch of jazz fanatics hanging around scaring away more normal patrons, they'll get the legal stuff figured out.

Such a great find!

An astonishing find. I wonder how long it will be before there's a complete listing of the recordings in the collection.

With regard to the copyright, there was a reader comment at the conclusion of the Times article that made reference to some sort of Disney influenced amendment to the original copyright law that operated to extend the duration of the original protections.

Edited by Dave James

i´m totally :excited::excited::excited: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for years there were rumours about this collection. (imagine, the randall islans open air concert). was bill savory the husband of helen ward? (i´m not at home to confirm it). there was a few years ago a sell on ebay with a few books from the ward/savory estate and they described that the recording collection was lost. (maybe my recollections are wrong...)

this is one of the greatest finds in recent years (and it can be compared with the bird/dizzy town hall concert 1945 or the lester young jam session (still unissued)).

put bill savory together with jerry newman, bob andrews, boris rose and timme rosencrantz! they all captured great music for the future. hope this collection will go published!!! :excited::excited:

keep boppin´

marcel

With regard to the copyright, there was a reader comment at the conclusion of the Times article that made reference to some sort of Disney influenced amendment to the original copyright law that operated to extend the duration of the original protections.

Yes--the Mickey Mouse revision, or something akin to that.

Wow! some astonishing clips are posted there.

However, the last clip (which they call "Blues Jam") with Armstrong and Waller has been issued many times before. It's from a Martin Bloch Jam Session broadcast that is usually dated as December 14, 1938.

Does anyone recognize any of the other clips as having been issued before? The short nature of some of them makes it more difficult to determine.